CodeNamed1

Which way to play Morrowind?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which way to play Morrowind?

• Original
    • Morroblivion
    • Skywind (When it comes)

Hi guys,

So Morrowind as a game is completely New to me. My first TES game was Oblivion. I guess I just missed Morrowind in my youth days... :wallbash: :wallbash:

Anyway I was thinking about wanting to see what kind of story was in Morrowind so what kind of way do you recommend to play Morowind, as there is now few options..

1) The Original way with original Game (Maybe modded to look lot nicer..)

2) Morroblivion (again maybe modded to so characters look little nicer, if possible??)

3) Skywind?? Would have to wait a while for that one... ( Really likely that will play this one anyway when it comes :thumbsup: )

So those are my options. I have somewhat gained experience as a mod user when playing Skyrim but it is still a little challenging to me. Maybe my biggest problem with Morrowind is it that well it is OLD so the graphics are not the best. Thats why I am probably gonna make it look nicer if choose the original way.

Would also like to have a little conversation about the subject :turned:

I also came to Morrowind after my first TES game was Oblivion, though it sounds like you also played Skyrim in between them, and I did not. I recommend what I did, and play the original Morrowind, modded to improve the graphics.

One reason to play the original is that there are thousands of Morrowind mods that you may want to play if you find you like the game, and they won't work if you use Morroblivion or Skywind. You'd be essentially stuck with vanilla Morrowind. Another reason is that there are features, powers, and abilities in Morrowind that don't exist in the later TES games, which you'd be missing out on if you played in a later engine. Each game in the series has removed some features from what came before.

If you find you don't like the Morrowind gameplay and decide you don't care about the world of Morrowind mods, then go ahead and play the remakes, and hopefully you can still experience the story.

I also came to Morrowind after my first TES game was Oblivion, though it sounds like you also played Skyrim in between them, and I did not. I recommend what I did, and play the original Morrowind, modded to improve the graphics.

One reason to play the original is that there are thousands of Morrowind mods that you may want to play if you find you like the game, and they won't work if you use Morroblivion or Skywind. You'd be essentially stuck with vanilla Morrowind. Another reason is that there are features, powers, and abilities in Morrowind that don't exist in the later TES games, which you'd be missing out on if you played in a later engine. Each game in the series has removed some features from what came before.

If you find you don't like the Morrowind gameplay and decide you don't care about the world of Morrowind mods, then go ahead and play the remakes, and hopefully you can still experience the story.

Yes I am starting to warm up to the idea of playing the original after I did some research about this. But I absolutely would have to install some Graphic and texture mods and maybe just go with that :ermm: Are there any kind of MUST have mods for morrowind, like there is for Skyrim (USLEEP being one) Any those kind of patches which correct some left over bugs and glitches??

There is an unofficial Morrowind patch, if I recall correctly, but I don't know where it is offhand. I can't advise on the graphic mods since there have been newer ones released since I set mine up that seem to be more popular and perhaps more convenient. You'd best search for the many other topics here where people answer the must-have mod questions. All I can say is to avoid mods that "improve" the graphics by making everything but the sky too dark to see in broad daylight without a night vision spell.

There is an unofficial Morrowind patch, if I recall correctly, but I don't know where it is offhand. I can't advise on the graphic mods since there have been newer ones released since I set mine up that seem to be more popular and perhaps more convenient. You'd best search for the many other topics here where people answer the must-have mod questions. All I can say is to avoid mods that "improve" the graphics by making everything but the sky too dark to see in broad daylight without a night vision spell.

Thx for info. :thumbsup:

I never tested Skywind or Morroblivion.

Basically Morrowind contains a lot of glitches and poorly handled/frustating aspects so I think you should take the Morrowind Code Patch and some mods that offer you more choices like my Dramatically improved Morrowind Tribunal & Bloodmoon.

Having recently stopped using a XP PC I didn't test many graphics improvers but you should take a look at MGE XE and Morrowind high def simulation.

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

I never tested Skywind or Morroblivion.

Basically Morrowind contains a lot of glitches and poorly handled/frustating aspects so I think you should take the Morrowind Code Patch and some mods that offer you more choices like my Dramatically improved Morrowind Tribunal & Bloodmoon.

Having recently stopped using a XP PC I didn't test many graphics improvers but you should take a look at MGE XE and Morrowind high def simulation.

Thx that reminds me, do I need to take some preparations cause I use a new computer with Windows 10 and latest graphic card??

• 2 weeks later...

Here is all versions of MPP and I suggest that you use MPP 1.6.5d, not the latest, because MPP 1.6.6 will get several quests stuck in your journal for the rest of the game and to finish them is to use the console.

I know MPP 1.6.6 does that and in the end I couldn't continue playing with MPP 1.6.6, so I uninstall it and installed UMP 1.6.3 (patch63b) aka ThePal's last UMP.

What the other said about MCP and MGE-XE, a quick guide for MGE/MGE-XE (replace MGE with MGE-XE when using MGE-XE), but don't forget the old MGE and it's quite stable despite for not being updated in years.

You also need mlox and WMSA (I tested it last year and it's quite stable) for the Mashed Lists.esp (levelled lists merged into the Mashed Lists.esp, loaded last in your loadorder).

EDIT: I need to correct myself as the MPP 1.6.5.d also have what the MPP 1.6.6 has, a dirty edit.

Edited by leonardo2

• 3 months later...

This is probably a case of being months too late to the party, but here's some advice for the next potential player:

The Morrowind Patch Project (MPP) replaced the venerable old Unofficial Patch, which fixed literally THOUSANDS of small item placement errors (flying plants, rocks hovering an inch above the ground, spelig erors, and various other details too numerous to mention). Supposedly, the latest MPP release has a few minor issues with the journal, which won't break the game but may be irritating. Check current discussions to see what the latest good/bad points are before adding.

The Morrowind Code Patch solves a number of previously unfixable bugs and issues which were not fixable with conventional Construction Set based mods. It's highly configurable, although you may want to do a bit more research to decide which of the issues you want "fixed" and which of them are actually "unintended features" that you'd rather keep. You can re-run the utility to change those settings later.

After playing OB and SR, you'll almost certainly want to run some texture replacers. Normally, I start with one overall replacer that stays faithful to the original art concept, and then add specific textures that also fit the look and feel of the original game. Better Bodies gets rid of the disjointed "marionette" look of the vanilla bodies (there are options to download bodies either with underwear or full nudity), and you probably want to add either a head replacer or at least some improved facial textures, otherwise it's rather comically cartoonish. I also added a "Reflective Silverware" mod, and one to resize potion bottles down from gallon jugs to something that fits into a pocket, higher resolution clothing textures, and MANY more.

Wrye Mash was (and may still be) the default utility for removing or solving conflicts between mods. It takes a little bit of reading and some minor technical knowledge of files to get the most out of it. Since I'm currently running close to 150 mods, it's close to essential. With just the above mods, you probably won't have any conflicts to worry about.

I would NOT recommend any mods that change gameplay or add items, factions, or NPCs to the game until after you've sunk at least 50 hours into the vanilla game. By that point, you should at least have some idea of what the game is and isn't, and what you want out of it. Making an uninformed decision and altering the game in ways that will disappoint you is far too likely until you're already fairly familiar with the game.

Once familiar with the game, there are mods to alter combat, change magic, add extensive crafting of weapons, armor, furniture, clothing, and a host of other items, as well as mods to add NPCs (hostile and/or otherwise), lots of new creatures (including undead), extensive conversation enhancements and additional quests, new factions, new races, and a host of other changes too numerous to even list the categories. There are THOUSANDS of Morrowind mods available, covering just about every aspect of the game. Some players spend so much time adding and trying mods that they don't really have much time to actually play the game, and then there are a few dedicated modders who spend virtually all of their free time modding and haven't actually had time to play in years. Enjoy your stay on Vvardenfell, outlander. You'll be stuck here for a long time, thanks to the quarantine.

I would NOT recommend any mods that change gameplay or add items, factions, or NPCs to the game until after you've sunk at least 50 hours into the vanilla game. By that point, you should at least have some idea of what the game is and isn't, and what you want out of it. Making an uninformed decision and altering the game in ways that will disappoint you is far too likely until you're already fairly familiar with the game.

I think that is something for new players to decide whether or not to use mods.

Also, how much time one have played Morrowind are not of our concern, so if one play for one hour and wants to use mods then why not.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1305729-mod-recommendations-for-new-players/