Just got shafted by broken backup feature. If NMM is no longer supported, why does the Nexus site feature a great big 'INSTALL NMM' button at

joycourier

TL;DR: NMM backup & restore isn't working. I clicked purge & restore - it purged, but hasn't restored. I've got nothing left.

For the past few days I've been trying to install mods for Skyrim Special Edition, but I've failed and have had to restart from scratch numerous times now.

This recent failure, I had been creating a backup after every 'stage' of modding. I had just completely finished the gameplay overhauls that had taken me a couple days alone (possibly overdoing it but the game was stable) and began work on character overhauls.

I took a risk with batch building bodyslide presets for Immersive Armors and my favoured CBBE preset but there was clipping, missing textures and seams so I decided I'd restore the backup I made literally an hour ago. But, as the TL;DR says, it's not working. He purge, he no restore.

It gets to 'copying the data files' and copies Textures8.bsa, then Voices_en.bsa, then Skyrim.esm, then TKDodge.esp, then Update.esm and... stops. The NMM window then delightfully says there was an error during the restore.

Where did I go wrong? Was I not supposed to purge and only restore? Was I a fool to trust in NMM's backup feature? Should I have just copied and pasted my whole Skyrim Special Edition folder every time instead (which I could do since I have it in C:/Games and not Program Files).

So... if anyone has any ideas on how to get the backup to work, lemme hear 'em. I HAVE the backup, it's just sitting there, teasing me. All 26.4GB of it, the amalgamation of my last week of free time, inaccessible. If I wasn't a grown man I'd be crying, but I'm damn close.

condolences, this is one of the reason I switched to mo2 and just use nmm as a file bank. at the very least you still have your mods, is it possible to extract the backup with z7?

if not, do you atleast have the install order of how you installed your mod..? if not hit me up in pm, I can share with you my own install order which you can use as reference. I got my own skyrim pretty much perfect (nothing is perfect, things only get better).

Thanks my dude, but I've still got the mods and the load order. I can unzip the backup (though the mods are still in NMM's folder) and I was exporting my load order every backup too. Of course there are mods that don't show up in the load order unfortunately.

I'm going to try using mod organizer 2, and I'm even going to use Acronis True Image (some PC backup software I've got) so I can be sure I won't get supershafted.