Any particularly dangerous mods in my load order?

-Salmo! yes I heard about that too. Slimey milk drinker thinks he can use his shop as a front to jack players' games does he?? Well, I like his sweet rolls, so I'll keep him for now, but won't hesitate to send him back to the Isles if need be.

LOL

-I'll patch up the race mods or dismiss Cobl races entirely. Never knew they conflicted, hopefully that wasn't an obvious thing. I'm worried that I now look like a fool. Oh well, too late for that.

No worries, I'm pretty much a fool when it comes to modding myself. I only know what I know because of obsessive reading and being unafraid to ask "noob" questions.

Other thoughts:

-I'm glad you discovered OSR's heap management. Consider also changing the heap value (by values of 256). I have mine set to 768, and some lucky folks get it as high as 1024. It depends on what your system can handle; if Oblivion hangs when you start or load a game, that's a sign that the heap setting is too high.

-Memory management of some kind is essential for modded Oblivion, as it otherwise processes video and scripts through the same pipe (thread? stack? I'm not a computer guy :/ ). EnBoost was the best choice for this, but the newest version (6.4.1) of Oblivion Reloaded has a memory management feature that does much the same thing. This has the advantage of letting you run ENB, as ENB and ENBoost are incompatible in Oblivion.

I recommend Oblivion Reloaded in any case. It's a bit obtuse, but I have a guide that people seem to find useful. It needs updating, which I plan on doing soon.

-If you're looking for a memory purger, you can find one in Oblivion Reloaded. There's also Extreme Game Boost, which uses OR's purger...somehow (Not a computer guy!), but to wonderful effect, especially when fast-traveling. It also requires Sneaking Detection Recalibrated, except you only really need the dll and ini file, and already this is getting confusing. I plan on including a section on EGB for my updated Oblivion Reloaded guide.

-I'm still trying to get Open Cities Reborn and Unique Landscapes copacetic myself, but one thing that seems to help is to avoid the merged UL installation and install the individual mods instead. Then disable or uninstall the UL mods that are near the cities that give you trouble. I've had success by uninstalling Cheydinhal Falls and Skingrad Outskirts, for example. If you still have trouble using Better Cities and Unique Landscapes together, you can apply the same principle. Use this map as a reference.

you can save an esp slot by removing

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

and using the tweak in the Bashed patch

when you rebuild your Bashed Patch

right click

click rebuild patch

scroll down along the left side to "Tweak Settings"

then in the right side, scroll down almost to the bottom

put a check in UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

you already have a ton of esp's

might as well save a slot

Alright, so from glancing at your load order, there are some things you could fix:

1. You have 2 delinquent masters.

----> Delinquent MASTER: tbskGuardsFeatures.esp
----> Delinquent MASTER: JQ-Fighters_Guild_United.esp

Why? This is because these mods depend on master files that are loaded after the bashed patch, but they are merged INTO the bashed patch. I had this problem with Maskar's oblivion overhaul and the MOBS patch. So what you need to do is move those below their masters in your load order and rebuild the patch without them merged/imported. It's a compromise but delinquent masters can cause CTDs. Otherwise you get rid of the mods that depend on those mods.

2. You have mods like CM Partners and Unique Landscapes which simply take up too many esp's for what they are worth imo. One good practice is to cut down on esp's that are unnecessary as much as you can. Keeps you under the esp limit and reduces as many unnecessary bugs as possible. So it's up to you, but I might drop UL altogether, or use the merged version, but I've heard some of the specific landscapes are buggy (which is probably why you are using all those individual esp's).

- There are other companion mods, such as Mad Companionship Spells, that are much simpler and easier to use imo.

I haven't read fully every comment about OSR, but you don't need its framerate manager unless you have a very old PC. I'd recommend getting Oblivion Reloaded, use its memory management, framerate manager, and it also has its own purger, so you don't need to PCB all the time (if I'm not mistaken that those are the same thing, CMIIW). If you replace the heap, you have to pay attention to which heap you are using (there are several options in the ini - I use heap 6 with 768 for the heap size, as suggested by Supierce, but you can try out 1024 max value. When I try around 1000 it would crash on startup eventually, so you have to experiment a bit, some PCs can do the higher value and others can't). I also found heap 1 to be good and stable (manages its own size with plugins). I second the suggestion of ENBoost as well. When I had crashes every 20-30 minutes (couldn't make it from Anvil to Skingrad, taking detours to fight), I installed ENBoost and could make it all the way to the IC and didn't crash. (Now I am crashing every 20-30 minutes again, lol - probably a mod I've installed since).

Also interesting about the freezing you and L are talking about - this is usually how I crash too. It'll stutter and the sound cuts out, freeze for like a minute, before the dumb OS realizes the game has crashed. I often do not get an event viewer log for this kind of crash either, which is really unusual to me; when I do get a log, I get the usual c000005 or whatever error saying access violation (probably memory) which is no surprise at all. Or I get the exception unknown, or both. But I think it is a different kind of crash, when I get no log at all (usually the other only happened before I had installed ENBoost). I wonder if there is any kind of equivalent to a stack trace in Oblivion? Yeah and it could be an OBSE plugin issue. I've tried disabling as many as I could without some mods freaking out, but I'll have to test that as well with all the mods depending on them disabled so I can disable them all and do more extensive testing. I've only installed one recently though, the voice file redirector. The ultimate problem for me is I get weird issues after a little bit on every new save I make, and therefore it's really hard to discern the issue being a save issue or a mod issue. Could be cuz I added or removed mods, that in itself can kill stability.

Edited by The Black Ninja