Translating Vortex

Tannin42

Tannin and Vortex team,

Would you please divide the sentences into multiple pieces and not pass them to the translation function?

Like this:

{t('Your selected mods have been imported successfully. You can decide now ')}
{t('whether you would like to enable all imported mods,')} <br/>
{t('or whether you want your imported mods to remain disabled for now.')}<br/><br/>

Translation becomes very difficult because sentences on Json are divided. Also, if you modify a part of the sentence by upgrading etc., the sequence of sentences on Json will be random, so it is almost impossible to guess the original sentences.

I suppose that you are doing this because you probably use the br tag to arrange the characters cleanly, but the length of the string varies depending on the language, so it does not make much sense I think.

Also, when inserting something in a sentence like embedding the next link, it will be easier to translate if you use a replacement string like "{{link}}".

Before:
{t('preserve your chosen ')} 
{this.getLink(_LINKS.FOMOD_LINK, 'scripted installer (FOMOD) ')} 
{t('options for mods installed via NMM.')}
After:
{t('preserve your chosen {{link}} options for mods installed via NMM.', {replace: { link: ...

Please consider it.

Edited by BowmoreLover

• 5 months later...

Tannin and Vortex team,

The translation helper extension does not work in the latest version 0.18.5. The extension loads successfully, but the menu does not appear in the settings panel and can't capture translation strings.

We can now collect most translation strings with external tools, but rely on this feature for a few strings.

Tannin and Vortex team,

The translation helper extension does not work in the latest version 0.18.5. The extension loads successfully, but the menu does not appear in the settings panel and can't capture translation strings.

We can now collect most translation strings with external tools, but rely on this feature for a few strings.

I'm curious, what external tools do you use to translate Vortex? Might be worth noting them in this thread.

@Pickysaurus, Check here : Unofficial Vortex Translation Tool

It is not exactly a translation tool, but it extracts strings from source code and converts them into MCM text format so that the translation tool can process them. This will eliminate the need to operate Vortex and capture translation strings.

• 2 months later...

Hi tannin and Vortex dev. team. Congratulations on the release of 1.0!

What kind of translation features and improvements can we expect in the future updates?

So far, I have been able to provide a barely practical level of translation patches by extracting a string that appears to be translated text from the source code and translating it. However, I think that there are still issues with Vortex localization.

As you can imagine, there is a limit to how you can extract strings from source code with regular expressions, not all text. In addition, there is a lack of localization, misuse of translation functions, and UI / message design that does not assume multiple languages on source code now.

I don't know if you Nexus Mods really want to localize Vortex and make it available to users in many languages, but if so you will need to do something. If I am, I will make guidelines for localization and instruct coders. I'm reviewing source code differences every time Vortex is upgraded, but I think that as the version goes up, inappropriate localization code is increasing.

I know that your development team is having a very hard time, but I want you to understand that we, the translators, are working harder than the usual translation work.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hey, everyone.

I am interested in translating Vortex into Brazilian Portuguese. I would like to talk about a technical problem I'm facing and also give you a suggestion regarding Vortex.

So, about the technical problem: the Translation Helper is not working for me. I am currently using Vortex 1.0.5 (Advanced Mode enabled) with Translation Helper 0.0.8. After following the installation instructions, I still see don't see all know languages in the drop-down menu. It's as if nothing was installed in the first place. Maybe the Translation Helper needs to be updated?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just had to navigate to the Interface tab and scroll all the way down to find the new option. I apologize for that. If I stumble upon a real problem now, I'll update this post. Thanks!

Now, about the suggestion. I know this may not be in your plans right now, but will it be possible in the future to make the community translations official? In other words, add them to Vortex so people wouldn't need to download stuff separately? This would be way more convenient for the end user.

I think that's all I had to say for now.

Thanks in advance for your attention and hard work!

Edited by Muleke

Hi Muleke,

There is advice that may help you. It would be very troublesome and difficult to extract all translations by performing all operations. So I have provided a tool that tries to extract all translations from the source code here: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/33

It is very experimental and far from perfect, but at least it can save time by skipping the actual extraction process. This tool file also includes the pre-extracted English json files, so you can start translating with them.

With 1.1.0 all translations that are properly packaged (https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Packaging_extensions_for_Vortex) can be installed directly from inside Vortex and they will even appear in the language list without being installed (they get installed on-demand).

That way it's convenient for the user but you can still distribute updates to the translations without waiting for a new Vortex release.