How to make a mod for Fusion Generators draining fusion cores over time.

Reference this post for more information:https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6514711-fusion-generators-that-drain-your-fusion-cores/

It appears that I might have to take a crack at this myself. It will be my first mod for Fallout 4. Would anyone be willing to help guide me through making a mod that adds the ability to insert/remove a fusion core from a fusion reactor just like you do in power armor? It would then drain the fusion core when it is running over a configurable amount of time. Or dynamically based on how much power it uses, but I figured that over a static amount of time will be much easier for now.

Future plans: make a location that is in the glowing sea that was a fusion core manufacturing plant with a small quest that allows you to fire up the old assembly line to refill empty fusion cores. Then possibly the ability to find plans to make a "makeshift" version of the recharger at your settlement that recharges them much slower than the one in the manufacturing plant (again the rate being configurable).

Any discussion on how high level or "difficult" this mod would be to make?

how do I start?

I already have the creation kit but basically other than just poking around in it and reading some tutorials/youtube's I have no idea how to get going on this type of mod.

Thanks in advance.

This is how I would do it, but I'd say I'm a mid-level modder at best.

Add a hidden perk that gives you an extra button (usually Space) on the Fusion Generator. Look at the Cannibal perk for an example. This button would be "Load Fusion Core"/"Remove Fusion Core" (You can set the conditions of the button text in the perk settings).

Next, write a new script for the Fusion Generator that detects when that button is pressed. OnActivate should work for the event. The script would basically go like this:

Event OnActivate()

; script to detect core
     if CoreFound
          ;remove core, give it to player
     elseif !CoreFound
          ;remove core from player, affix to outside of generator

endEvent

Event OnLoad()

;detect core, detect core percentage
     if CoreFound
          ;check time passed since last load, damage core appropriately
     endif

endEvent

Since the Fusion Generator is not a container (like the power armor frame), the best use would probably be to affix the core to the outside of the generator, like the lootable ones throughout the Commonwealth. The script could (I think) create the objectreference and monitor/modify it.

Couple of things:

You would have to modify the fusion core to not delete itself when it reaches 0, which could possibly screw up how it works in power armor/gatling lasers. Alternatively, you could make a new item that the generator uses instead of an actual fusion core, but it still takes normal fusion cores from the player and gives them back.

You're going to have to ask someone else about the quest/location thing. I'm bad at those.

~GKX