How To Rollback Fallout 4 Version (Steam)

DiabloInvictus

Thanks for sharing this incredible simple solution.

Though I already learned about this on steam. And the game used in that tutorial was Half Life 2.

It was really easy afterwards to find out how to do it for Fallout 4.

oh, I accessed the steam console, by typing "steam://open/console" in my internet browser.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except this isn't really a viable solution. I did this, and my game ran great again for two days. Then it wouldn't run anymore. If you do this thing, you can't ever really add new mods, or update old ones, because they aren't made for the version of the game you are playing. I am not sure what happened in my case - it still said I was running the old .exe. (and at that time, I still had the old version of everything else, including F4SE), but the game wouldn't save. I think even when you 'downgrade' your version, if you ever accidentally upgraded your version, it changed something, because mine broke again after two days. (I read some stuff - on the Steam forums - about how Steam is always running in the background, so even if you use an old .exe, it knows it... and doesn't like it. Bad things start to happen while you are playing - i got that right off the Steam forums).

So I get the idea that if you were smart and never got the update to begin with, you are probably fine (until you want to add new content to your game, because YOU CAN'T), but if you got the update and rolled it back, something nasty was left behind and your game still won't run right. I still haven't put my finger on it, and I am starting to suspect its related to Microsoft's new file protocols since their last Windows 10 update (and thus, nothing actually nefarious - Just Beth or even Steam depending on an older version of Windows 10 to still work correctly). The files just aren't saving correctly anymore, and in my case (and the case of many others), this 'rollback to an earlier version' just doesn't cut it.

For the first time ever, my game ran 100%, was stable, no conflicts, and look absolutely gorgeous... for maybe 48 hours. That was when I did the rollback. Now I can't get the game to save, at all. Still plays and looks beautiful, but whats the point, when it won't save any quest data? I could probably try rolling it back again, but I've already updated to the newest version of F4SE and a bunch of other stuff, so that's not a viable solution for me. Plus, apparently, Steam doesn't like that. They've already injected the new CC content into your folders, so if you roll back the executable, you have files there the game doesn't even know what to do with (which 'may' be causing the save issue, if the game has conflicting ID's assigned).

I have problem, after rollback I have polish and english subtittles in game (for ex. pip-boy interface english, some dialogues polish). Is there any specific Fallout4.exe version to download depends on language? I won't verify game files because it could break my game completely. Current version of Fallout4.exe 1.10.114.0 Language English (United States). I have selected polish language on Steam and Fallout4_default.ini have sLanguage=pl selected.

• 2 months later...

Holy bejesus poop of a deathclaw...where have you been my whole life!?! Worked like a champ. Thank you for this! Like many others I was at the mercy of waiting for the fine folks at silverlock to update all because a new collar for Dogmeat was released via the creation club and a whole new exe was needed to be released. Also made a copy of my F4.exe for future reference. Thanks again for your time and contribution.

PS - EDIT - After playing with the rollback for a bit, no issues on my end other than a mod that allows for quicksaving in survival didn't seem to work. But exit saves and sleep saves seemed to work just fine. Haven't tried re-installing said mod yet.

Also reading others comments from 2018, I haven't experienced any issues yet with visuals, performance, corrupt saves, etc. And I'm running 300+ mods, plus ENB. I think this latest update as of 3/13/2019 was really minor, just 2 creation club adds, no 'performance and stability' improvements that would have deeper hooks...and problems.

I just hope Steam doesn't keep trying to update to the latest-and-greatest

Edited by brentmontana

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...