[Discussion]Mod Amount Limit: Could it be overcome?

Klipperken

Noob here, just started playing on PC less then a month ago. When you say max is 255 mods do you mean 255 plug ins? Because I have over 280 mods active but only around 220 plug ins active. Does that make a difference?

Yes, only plugins (ESP files) count towards the 255 / 248 limit.

Yeah, was hyperbole from my side too. But still, there's nothing architectural to do, just general software maintenance. Generally well-understood stuff. It's some effort, sure.

I wouldn't call it "general software maintenance" because the software functions just fine, but I understand your point. It's possible that we will see an upgrade to the FormIDs / mod limit, if the rumors are true, that will come along with the new game engine for TES 6 and Fallout 5.

Yeah CE 3.0 will probably be a major jump. I have some hope that they're on DX12 already and may add support for DXR during development. I also assume the new engine (or at least a Creation Engine 2.1-type version) is already done by now, there have been rumors of another CE game for E3 this year.

I have less hope for 64 bit formIDs though even though it's entirely possible. If I was BGS I wouldn't touch that chunk of code because it's well understood, does what it needs to do and has always worked perfectly fine. They have different fish to fry.

How bizarre, 64 bit began effectively at Windows XP 64bit in 2005.

We are now 13 years later, and still 80% of all software (programs, games, ...) is STILL made in 32 bit.

One would wonder, if like they claim game makers use the maximum out of a system, most hop 13 years behind?

@Payload: if they want to make a 64 bit, then they should do it the right way, thus 100% or not.

Makes no sense...

Klip.

Edited by Klipperken

They're using a 32 bit number to hold the formID. Fallout4.exe is a 64 bit binary and uses 64 bit CPU registers. There's no need to go higher with the formID, in the remaining 30 bit you can still hold roughly a billion forms while Fallout4.esm only has around 1.5 million records. And you have those billion forms of space in every plugin. Nothing irregular to see here. Why use 64 bits to represent a number that you could hold in 28 bits? That only makes your memory overhead bigger.

I used to think it was a big deal to add tons of mods to my game. Like get to the magical 254 number. But I have found that having that many just adds to problems...because the more you have on, the greater the chance for a screwup. Right now, I am playing with only 99 mods. But I also added a ton of 4k texture addons...and to me, playing with excellent graphics means more than having 254 mods on.

Well, in my current game I am running 236 mods...

Stable, though when I cross a "border" it dares crashing.

Happens very few times, but it happens...

And there are still so many goodies out there. :sad:

Klip.

Edited by Klipperken

For reference, I've never had a setup with more than ~120 plugins, including dummy ESPs for texture archives, and I play hardcore survival with all added difficulty mods I can reasonably put in. I can't imagine having a load order that long, I usually run out of mods I want to use before that's a relevant consideration.

@Payl0ad I run 4 Scrap mods, furniture mods, house mods, weapon mods, armor mods, ....

I got fairly easy to that amount really...

And I am not done, that is, I still have about 80 mods sitting waiting to be activated.

Now, I do test quite a few mods, and recently i began to see how they are put together.

One DAMNED annoyance is: I cannot load a mod by itself, it always loads the frikken masters...

It's often hard for me to figure out what is the mod, and what is a dependency...

Klip