• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

TheMastersSon

TheMastersSon

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
I had written pretty much exactly what Ratboy68 said. The problem is human nature and it's common to everyone, everywhere and at all times. Ben Franklin knew the eventuality of the government he was helping to found because he understood human nature. Representative democracy has proven to be resistant to decay and collapse, ours lasted almost exactly 200 years (1776-1971) before it was permanently sold down the multinational river by our own federal employees. I've always believed and still believe the U.S. form of government, with appropriate campaign restrictions and term limits for all offices, would be the best form of government in human history.

HeyYou

HeyYou

Resident poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts

I had written pretty much exactly what Ratboy68 said. The problem is human nature and it's common to everyone, everywhere and at all times. Ben Franklin knew the eventuality of the government he was helping to found because he understood human nature. Representative democracy has proven to be resistant to decay and collapse, ours lasted almost exactly 200 years (1776-1971) before it was permanently sold down the multinational river by our own federal employees. I've always believed and still believe the U.S. form of government, with appropriate campaign restrictions and term limits for all offices, would be the best form of government in human history.

Yeah, I think we have covered a fair bit of that before, in other threads..... (especially around election times. :) )

"Fixing" the current system wouldn't require all that much change, as you say, term limits, limits on lobbyists, do away with citizens united decision, etc. But, the only people that can actually implement that change, are the very same people we are trying to limit, so, I don't see any chance of any of it coming about. So, we are stuck with the current system, until such time as it implodes, as we all know it must.

Page loaded in: 0.626 seconds