Fixing Weapon Clipping on my Armor Mesh

ArdentFlame

I've recently started customizing a piece of armor through NifSkope. I've mostly just been assigning textures and some other minor things in it. The mesh I have was created by someone else on Nexus. The textures loaded totally fine when I was finished, but I found that weapons on the back of the armor had the dreaded clipping issue.

I (kind of) understand what needs to happen. I need to load the mesh into Blender to adjust the nodes so that the weapons attach at a point farther away from the body, but I'm clueless as to how I'm supposed to do that. I'm capable of running NifSkope quite well and understand a minor amount of 3D editing, though nothing quite like this.

So here's my overall question: once I import the .nif into Blender, how do I adjust the nodes to have the weapon attach farther away from the armor?

Also, if someone knows how to fix it and doesn't want to bother explaining it, I'd be OK with giving you the mesh and allowing you to adjust it. That's not quite as fun though; I like learning new things.

Anyways, if anyone can help me that would be awesome. I'll continue my Internet research until I get a reply.

I'm pretty sure where weapons attach to the body isn't in the armor nif, it's in the holster animation (hence why female pc have that awful back gap for 2 hand weapons) and adjusting it there adjust it for all weapons. Unless this is a static weapon that is added to the armor model as eye candy you're talking about. Way easier to just go into blender and edit the mesh to not clip.

Iâm talking real, functional weapons.

I believe the animations are factor in addition to the armor mesh. The skeleton mesh also ties in somehow. This mod is proof that editing an armor mesh to fix this issue can work:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61219/

When I looked at the downloaded files for that mod it only changed armor meshes, nothing more, and it fixed the weapon clipping issue. Although I donât know what variables they edited to get that effect.

Pretty sure they just edited the mesh's shape in blender not the position of the weapon's themselves. To adjust the holster animation you would need the skeleton, holster animation & a weapon linked in a scene to see where the weapon holsters to at the end of the animation.

@kingbeast88

That makes sense to me. You might not actually need to in this case though. All weapons seem to be just a little too far into the armor. Weâre talking inches. I feel like it might be as easy as moving a certain node a few notches on whichever axis it would be in meshes (x, y, or z).

@M48A5

Iâll defer to you on that since I know very little about mesh editing, but in this situation youâd have to go adjust every single weapon in the game for them to look correct. And even after that, all the weapons in the game would look terrible on every other piece of armor.