Some Mods that need some love.

Frogzilla82

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

420/10 m8

It's always the "technical" and the "super-advanced" mods (clothing, guns, fix) that are underrated in this game. FO3 and NV has MJOLNIR GEN2 permutations and AK-12 everywhere (then again those are released earlier). FO4's CK is although limited to some, blends with the game's mechanics very well, like FNV's entire laser lineup can be fitted as ONE gun in FO4. Other than Quad's Accelerator and Break-Action Laser there really isn't a good selection of energy rifles let alone a sniper one (well until the AQUILA)

Check the Energy Weapon Compendium in my signature for plenty of energy weapon love. Plenty of them there to fit this topic as well.

• 5 months later...
Well, not a mod, but I managed to not know about the "scrapall" console command until very recently. The first time I used that on Sanctuary instead of spending the first two (game) days running around scrapping every branch, broken bed, etc... man, it felt good. In fact, it felt so good that I needed a cigarette and a cuddle afterwards :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

One of my fav mods is the little used TRUE NIGHTS. There's a vastly more popular mod (darker nights?) which follows the tradition of similar mods for Skyrim, but 'true nights' is literally real world darkness for Fallout 4.

Don't you just hate modern games that use the terrible "day for night" trick of cheap movies and TV from the 60s and early 70s? You know, when a scene was shot in full sunlight, then artificially 'dimmed' and sold as a night time scene- a technique loved by cheapo producers for the 'night' scenes could both be shot during normal working hours AND using the same film stock and camera settings.

Games do it cos a significant proportion of gamers HATE dark screens- and many games don't even bother switching off their shadow systems for night.

But 'True Nights' mean night is BLACK- the blackness country folk tell city folk they never experience thanks to the ambient light from a night-time city.

Black so a torch is ESSENTIAL (and headlight mods really really effective). Black so the experience of traveling at night is totally different from day.

Not for everyone, but darn, for me the game is now meaningless without it. The apocalypse, and the end of civilisation means that night becomes something us city folk have likely never even conceived of. I that's what I want in MY Fallout.

Watching the saddo FO76 vids, and knowing night in that game will always be a lame annoying version of day is another reason to despise the massive downgrade the game represents- and to love what mods bring to Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

PS I get the OP. I've discovered some excellent mods late despite frequently inspecting the Nexus because, for some reason, they never gained any traction. Even Youtube channels like MxR (in the days before demontisation and the ad-opaclypse) would frequently highlight cool mods I had never heard about. Also I tend to trust that the only mods worth thinking about are hosted here- tho i know that isn't always true- and that the dreadul 'politics' that has mods frequently vanishing from the Nexus is a real detriment to the enduring usefullness of this site.

Grown-up, unpaid volunteer dev work like open source software CANNOT vanish when a dev bursts into tears and wants to take his ball home. No- the open source community- which is one million times more advanced than game modding- accepts a model where contributions are both out there forever, and can be used by other open-source devs freely if the licence is respected. My one gripe about the Nexus is that it actively encourages the very attitude open source absolutely discourages, yet both exist for exactly the SAME reason.

My fav open source programs will be easily available forever, and the good ones more than likely now supported by new people. But everytime I come here I fear some fav mod will have vanished - especially if Beth has been stirring the pot again.

Another one i found that really needs love:

Sanctuary bridge replacer

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25945/?tab=forum&topic_id=5880948

Unlike most of the bridges, this one actually looks like it belongs! The only bad part is the lamps added to it doesn't omit light.

That bridge in Sanctuary is called Old North Bridge, and it's a historic site in American War of Independence, by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_North_Bridge

:tongue: