Excluding races from a damage effect.

jkruse05

I've been working on a little minimod to accompany a rework of Institute Electrolasers and I've been trying to do the opposite of what I did for EMP damage in that mod. In IE I made the extra damage effect check if the target (subject) was one of several mechanical races, then apply if they were. For this mod I'm trying to invert those conditions and tell an effect to NOT trigger if the subject is one of those mechanical races.

This is the sample from Institute Electrolasers that tells the effect TO trigger. With the new one (a fire effect that is essentially the same) I used the same conditions, but set the Comparisons to != . When that didn't work I tried setting the Comparisons back to == and the Value to 0.00 . Both ended up working the same as the original, i.e. the effect would only trigger on the mechanical races used in the Target Conditions, rather than the opposite as I want.

Correction: After further testing (with Comparisons set to != and values to 1.0) it seems the conditions aren't doing they opposite of what I want, they simply aren't doing anything. For the robots this may be because I haven't yet included the Automatron races, but it's not excluding turrets or power armor as it should either. Will continue trying different combinations.

79299-1523513136.png

Bonus question; anyone know what tells the legendary attachments to show flavor text with the stats in the bottom left of the inspection screen? Think it'd be possible to display something there without it coming from a legendary attachment?

Edited by jkruse05

Had no proglems with conditions and both ways work for me (x != 1 or x == 0 ). I used some race conditions for a magic effect in my cloning mod and they work fine. Though I noticed some interesting thing. If the bottom condition has "Or" checked, it can lead to a weird effect. Lke if the game was reading it as "or anything else". It happened to me during testing a couple of times. So now I always set the bottom condition to "And", "or" is useless on the bottom anyway.

Edited by kitcat81

Had no proglems with conditions and both ways work for me (x != 1 or x == 0 ). I used some race conditions for a magic effect in my cloning mod and they work fine. Though I noticed some interesting thing. If the bottom condition has "Or" checked, it can lead to a weird effect. Lke if the game was reading it as "or anything else". It happened to me during testing a couple of times. So now I always set the bottom condition to "And", "or" is useless on the bottom anyway.

Ah, I suppose that could be the issue. I'll give it a try.

Nope, changed the last one to AND, got the same behavior. Effect still seems to be targeting everyone and ignoring the conditions. Even uninstalled Automatron to make sure. If it makes a difference I have the enchantment applied directly to the weapon instead of the receivers.

Try to set conditions on spells insetad of magic effects.

Tried setting conditions on just spells, and tried moving the enchantment to be applied through receivers rather than directly on the weapon. Still no dice. This is the last thing I need to get working before release and it's getting incredibly frustrating.

Have you tried reducing target conditions to a maximum of two, where one race has it and the other does not? Just to debug and see if it's the length of conditions that causes it to fail.

Also, can you give an example of the flavor text you mentioned? Not sure if I've seen it myself.

I just read all it again and got a bit confused. Can you clarify some things please? You mentioned that you have not set all the races yet and trying to run the conditions. And you even tried to uninstall Automatron. But then it's not clear how you were able to run any conditions on non existing races. The races added by DLC don't exist without the DLC so you have to add the DLC as a master file to your mod to run any conditions on DLC races. Or did you mean that you removed all DLC race conditions and it still did not work even with vanilla race conditions?

Have you tried reducing target conditions to a maximum of two, where one race has it and the other does not? Just to debug and see if it's the length of conditions that causes it to fail.

Also, can you give an example of the flavor text you mentioned? Not sure if I've seen it myself.

I could try it, but length of conditions shouldn't be an issue. These are the exact same conditions I used for Institute Electrolasers, just inverted to exclude mechanical races rather than include them.

The flavor text I'm referring to is in the bottom left of this picture, just above the other stats. Its appearance is very inconsistent. I think it only appears in the customization screen, not the inspection one, and doesn't seem to show up for all legendary attachments. I just thought it would be handy for my new version of the Electrolasers because players will be able to adjust how much damage goes to the regular laser and how much goes to EMP damage, but the EMP damage isn't displayed anywhere besides looking at the attachments directly, since it's done through an enchantment. Of course, if that text isn't shown consistently, or if a legendary mod would override it, then it's not gonna work.

http://www.modsfallout4.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/More-Legendary-Slots-for-vanilla-weapons-2.png

I just read all it again and got a bit confused. Can you clarify some things please? You mentioned that you have not set all the races yet and trying to run the conditions. And you even tried to uninstall Automatron. But then it's not clear how you were able to run any conditions on non existing races. The races added by DLC don't exist without the DLC so you have to add the DLC as a master file to your mod to run any conditions on DLC races. Or did you mean that you removed all DLC race conditions and it still did not work even with vanilla race conditions?

I've only been running conditions with vanilla races (all the robots and synths, plus power armor, vertibirds, and turrets. 14 total). The races I have not set yet are the Automatron ones, which will be a separate version with those new ones layered on top of the vanilla ones.

I removed Automatron for testing so those races wouldn't be a factor in the conditions not working. For instance, if I shoot poor old Codsworth with Automatron installed, he is no longer a vanilla race, so the conditions won't work. By removing Automatron there's no chance that a random enemy I find or spawn to test on may be using a non-vanilla race. That's all I meant.

I rather meant if the all the DLC race conditions were removed from the effect while testing without Automatron. Because the game would not be able to recognize the races.

What is the weapon you use it for? Sorry if Imissed it ,but can't find the info.

Because different types of weapons work differently and might require different settings. For some weapons it's better to attach the effect to the ammo explosion. If there is no ammo explosion and no projectile that allows to attach spells/enchatments or magic effects, then you can attach it to the weapon itself.

I suspect that it might be that your game save is corrupted and won't update something or the conditions are applied to you instead of affected actors, wich in theory can happen with some certain weapon types. But you can test it by adding != Player ref condition.

Edited by kitcat81