Suggestion: KiSS Sorting

Khormin

Please disregard. Issue turns out to be a masterlist bug, rather than a design oversight.

JMWf1OT.png

This is not a user-friendly setup. I like the "conflict resolution" minigame that you have, click the link to remove the conflict etc. It's neat.

Entry users, however, are going to be utterly lost when it comes to plugin sorting. Especially as Vortex overrides LOOT/Bash sorting, requiring autosort to be turned off so that manual sorting can be enacted.

Such as above, where you don't want Maskar's ahead of Bashed.

I cant think for the life of me why they didn't implement NMM drag and drop load order sorting? It seems really strange to put a number in the priority field. For one thing what number do you use? 50?... 60?

Seems really strange. The drag and drop - no fuss.. no messing, just drag it under the one you want priority over.

But I guess its because its an Alpha. Too many people quick to hate. I'm sure they will look at that given time. There's lots to like with the interface.

Easy: Because there's no fixed sorting. Sorting of plugins depends on the LOOT masterlist, which can be overwritten by the priority AND rules. How would manually sorting the plugins fit into that?

And sorting of mods (as opposed to plugins!) is even more difficult, since priorities between multiple mods (what mod should overwrite which mod) which will be completely in transparent in a one-dimensional list. We already had that problem in ModManager.

And NMM was totally intransparent regarding that, because the order in which you actually activated the mods is controlling, which is overwriting which. And if you made an error with that... ugh.

^ This.

Though my apologies, turns out my assessment was made without being aware of a bug. For whatever reason, the LOOT masterlist wasn't (isn't) being updated on my client, which is what's causing the issue.

"..I cant think for the life of me why they didn't implement NMM drag and drop load order sorting?.."

I promised myself I wouldn't post messages without thorough investigative work first.

I now know why.

Messed about with it more last night and I have to say - I'm impressed. Very nice bit of software. Loved clicking on the red lightning bolt and then sorted out the order. Noticed that changed the plugins for me too. Even when I got it wrong it notified me and I could easily sort it. The conflict mini game I have to say - I had no idea what to do - so simply ended up breaking the links to clear it. Then, the bolts came back in the mod list and I was able to correct it.

It helped that I new EXACTLY what I wanted to achieve first. I knew in my mind what mods needed to be before and after. It forced me to be more aware of what it is I am installing. So far that I applaud.

(knowing my luck - I was still get a CTD in game!! LOL)

Edited by cptmrcalm