Bashed patch and load order question

capella6707

I'm using Vortex for SSE only. Also, I'm posting this on the assumption that the bashed patch, built in WryeBash, should always be at the very bottom/end of the load order, as ordered by LOOT.

I noticed that Vortex doesn't always put the bashed patch at the very end of the load order either after enabling/deploying a mod or after clicking the Sort Now button on the Plugins tab. I also noticed that Vortex will place certain mods above the bashed patch, so I'm assuming it reorders the plugins each time a mod is enabled/deployed.

Am I correct in my assumption that the bashed patch should always be placed at the bottom, regardless?

I ran across a post in another thread here discussing load order that Vortex is only concerned with conflicts and if there isn't a conflict in the load order, then it doesn't care where a particular mod goes. I.e. After enabling/deploying a new mod, Vortex placed it right at the bottom of the load order, below the bashed patch. Is that correct and okay to leave it like that? I know that if I were to open up LOOT and sort the mods there, it would place the bashed patch at the end of the list.

Since Vortex uses the same masterlist and rules as LOOT (make sure you have latest version, was bug is older one that borked this), you should get the same results regarding plugins that have a rule in the masterlist.

Based on the Global Priority list that Vortex and LOOT use (https://loot.github.io/docs/contributing/Global-Priorities.html), there are several types of plugins that might sort after the Bashed Patch, so that's not unusual and not necessarily an indication of a problem.

You can always use priorities and/or dependencies to get a plugin into a specific position if it's needed and sorting doesn't do it.

Since Vortex uses the same masterlist and rules as LOOT (make sure you have latest version, was bug is older one that borked this), you should get the same results regarding plugins that have a rule in the masterlist.

I'm not sure that is the case - at least in terms of the order that the plugins are put by each of the programs, based on what I am observing. What I've seen is, after installing and enabling (which also deploys) a mod that gets put after the bashed patch by Vortex, if I click the Sort now button nothing appears to change. I'm assuming that's because Vortex puts the plugin in the order based on the rules right away. However, when I open LOOT the plugins initially load in the same order as Vortex has them, but when I click sort, invariably, LOOT puts the bashed patch at the end. Opening up Vortex again reflects the change that LOOT made and clicking Sort now again in Vortex doesn't reorder the plugins.

Having said all of that, based on careful testing of some of the mods that Vortex has placed after the bashed patch, I have not seen any problems with those plugins.

Load order question: What is the difference between Global and Local priority?

I am guessing Local sets the order within a specific Global priority.

You are correct.

I'm not sure that is the case - at least in terms of the order that the plugins are put by each of the programs, based on what I am observing. What I've seen is, after installing and enabling (which also deploys) a mod that gets put after the bashed patch by Vortex, if I click the Sort now button nothing appears to change. I'm assuming that's because Vortex puts the plugin in the order based on the rules right away. However, when I open LOOT the plugins initially load in the same order as Vortex has them, but when I click sort, invariably, LOOT puts the bashed patch at the end. Opening up Vortex again reflects the change that LOOT made and clicking Sort now again in Vortex doesn't reorder the plugins.

Having said all of that, based on careful testing of some of the mods that Vortex has placed after the bashed patch, I have not seen any problems with those plugins.

Are you sure you are on the latest version? Cause that sounds like a bug that was fixed where the display wasn't properly updating after a sort.

Where a plugin is placed after install and before a sort is likely going to be undetermined, especially if you have auto-sort turned off. Maybe Vortex is taking a guess, but that's really the best it can do at that point.