Reposition the Candlelight Effect?

qeveren

Playing a mage, of course I love the Candlelight spell (and its many mods), however there's just one problem: if you play in 3rd person, the intensely-glowing orb happens to coincide with your crosshair all too frequently... usually at the most inopportune time. Would it be possible for someone to create a mod for the spell to shift it over to the character's left, instead of their right? :)

I think that's an animation one has to change to move the light orb. I don't know anything about animations (yet) but this looks like a (hopefully) easy example to learn. And I do want a mod like this myself, cause that effect really is obtrusive.

Unfortunatelly I have an impending deadline at university and another mod request that's only progressing so slowly. What I'm trying to say is: I won't start this within the next three months. If noone does it till then, I will give it a try.

I started playing out with the CK (yay Imma newb!) to see if I could work out how to either do this, or convert it into a 'sourceless' light spell centred on the player. It looks like the lightsource property is part of the .nif file it uses, and I don't think I can really touch that. XD

Yep. And in Nifskope you can see that lightsource. It's floating around mid-air, using an animation to move slightly. So I think the animation needs to be changed to move the lightsource to different coordinates and float around there. (The reference point 0,0,0 is on the ground between the characters feet.)

If that lightsource was static, without animations, it could be moved with nifskope. But for animations I think I will have to import it to Blender.

But as I already said: Never done that before.

Oh and it's really great that you are giving your own request a try! It's nice to see someone make an effort and not only demanding things. :thumbsup:

Yep. And in Nifskope you can see that lightsource. It's floating around mid-air, using an animation to move slightly. So I think the animation needs to be changed to move the lightsource to different coordinates and float around there. (The reference point 0,0,0 is on the ground between the characters feet.)

If that lightsource was static, without animations, it could be moved with nifskope. But for animations I think I will have to import it to Blender.

But as I already said: Never done that before.

Oh and it's really great that you are giving your own request a try! It's nice to see someone make an effort and not only demanding things. :thumbsup:

Hehe thanks! ^__^

Say, you wouldn't happen to know if any other .nifs contain invisible lightsources, would you? That would pretty much serve as a drop-in replacement, I think? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late answer, but yes, your idea works as a quick and dirty solution. (I finally found the time to try it.)

unpack meshes.bsa, find magic->lightspellstaticlight.nif

in your ...skyrim/data/meshes folder create a folder named magic if it doesn't exist already. Copy lightspellstaticlight.nif from the unpackes meshes.bsa and rename it to lightspellactorfx.nif

done

That way the glowing light orb rests between the characters feet. Looks a bit awkward but at least it's out of the way for now.

Sorry for the late answer, but yes, your idea works as a quick and dirty solution. (I finally found the time to try it.)

unpack meshes.bsa, find magic->lightspellstaticlight.nif

in your ...skyrim/data/meshes folder create a folder named magic if it doesn't exist already. Copy lightspellstaticlight.nif from the unpackes meshes.bsa and rename it to lightspellactorfx.nif

done

That way the glowing light orb rests between the characters feet. Looks a bit awkward but at least it's out of the way for now.

That is vastly more tolerable. You, sir, are a genius, thank you. :)

• 1 year later...

Thread necromancy - apologies - but this is the only hit google could find.

I've been mucking about with bodyshape, and discovered that the candlelight is attached to the NPC Root bone, more or less at the hips. My floating orb is now level with the actor's head, and a long way in front. Speaking to another NPC usually has the NPC face in darkness, because the light is behind them. And, it gets in the way of the crosshairs big time.

I was going to use the static light between the feet suggested above, but found out how to easily move the position in Nifscope. (So, no need to edit the animation at all.)

I extracted the lightspellactorfx.nif file - the one that moves the floating orb.

Then, in nifscope:

in Block List, expanded the 0 BSFadeNode.

Then expanded the 72 NiNode.

Click on 73 NiNode - with the value of "Lagbone"

In the Block Details of Lagbone, double click on the XYZ values of the Translation Vector 3 line.

This will allow you to edit the position of the floating orb, by positioning it at an offset of the X,Y,Z values.

X is side to side - I left mine at 0.0

+Y is forwards, I moved mine back over the actor's head by setting Y to -40.0 (-20 will leave it just in front, rather than just behind)

+Z is upwards, I moved mine up by +40, which gets it well up, out of the way of the crosshairs. +20 is also enough, and keeps the light lower, so more omnidirection and less "spotlight from above" when talking to NPCs.

There are translations available on all NiNodes, and even the particle effects that create the light. And, in Nifscope, they do apparently move the light. But they have no effect in game. Only the Lagbone translation did anything, but it did it perfectly.

Oh, and do remember to save the edited file in the Data\meshes\magic folder, with the original name. This will then be used instead of the non-translated file in the .bsa.

Very happy with the result. The candlelight orb can be positioned wherever you want, and it still floats about with the animation.

Edited by bythelee

• 7 years later...

Thread necromancy - apologies - but this is the only hit google could find.

I've been mucking about with bodyshape, and discovered that the candlelight is attached to the NPC Root bone, more or less at the hips. My floating orb is now level with the actor's head, and a long way in front. Speaking to another NPC usually has the NPC face in darkness, because the light is behind them. And, it gets in the way of the crosshairs big time.

I was going to use the static light between the feet suggested above, but found out how to easily move the position in Nifscope. (So, no need to edit the animation at all.)

I extracted the lightspellactorfx.nif file - the one that moves the floating orb.

Then, in nifscope:

in Block List, expanded the 0 BSFadeNode.

Then expanded the 72 NiNode.

Click on 73 NiNode - with the value of "Lagbone"

In the Block Details of Lagbone, double click on the XYZ values of the Translation Vector 3 line.

This will allow you to edit the position of the floating orb, by positioning it at an offset of the X,Y,Z values.

X is side to side - I left mine at 0.0

+Y is forwards, I moved mine back over the actor's head by setting Y to -40.0 (-20 will leave it just in front, rather than just behind)

+Z is upwards, I moved mine up by +40, which gets it well up, out of the way of the crosshairs. +20 is also enough, and keeps the light lower, so more omnidirection and less "spotlight from above" when talking to NPCs.

There are translations available on all NiNodes, and even the particle effects that create the light. And, in Nifscope, they do apparently move the light. But they have no effect in game. Only the Lagbone translation did anything, but it did it perfectly.

Oh, and do remember to save the edited file in the Data\meshes\magic folder, with the original name. This will then be used instead of the non-translated file in the .bsa.

Very happy with the result. The candlelight orb can be positioned wherever you want, and it still floats about with the animation.

Apologies for the necro myself,

but this just helped me with the magic effect for quick light, so I figured it would be nice to show my appreciation. Now that I know where to reference, I shouldn't have any issue with how blindingly white the light appears since it'll be further away