Sword Request Competition

jaysus

Ah, cool, thanks for that info. To keep on topic they did it by the sword.

Yep. Willem van Oranje, AKA Willem de Zwijger (William the Silent) was a rebellious nobleman who led the Dutch in the 80-Years War, which liberated the Dutch Republic from a rather oppressive Spanish rule. The William of Orange I think you're talking about is a spooky English king, who was basically a huge ass to the Scots and the Irish about religion.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look no further than Cook for the greatest map maker:) Just tugging on your leg, though he's certainly one of the best.

Yep. Willem van Oranje, AKA Willem de Zwijger (William the Silent) was a rebellious nobleman who led the Dutch in the 80-Years War, which liberated the Dutch Republic from a rather oppressive Spanish rule. The William of Orange I think you're talking about is a spooky English king, who was basically a huge ass to the Scots and the Irish about religion.

EDIT: Did I mention that the Dutch have, like, the most badass mapmakers ever?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Leo_belgicus.png

Wow Rikky, you totally amase me with your knowlige of Historic lore..., or did you do a quick wiki search??

What ever the case you are right sir. (a litle more inf. Did you know that the Dutch antem "Wilhelmus" is written in honor of Willem van Oranje?)

but lets get beck on sword designe now before this topic is shotdown.

Sure, Ol' James Cook did some nice maps... Some fantastic maps, even... But did he ever transpose the image of a country onto the back of a lion holding a sword in a verdant field?

In my opinion, that's the true mark of a great mapmaker.

EDIT:

Wow Rikky, you totally amase me with your knowlige of Historic lore..., or did you do a quick wiki search??

What ever the case you are right sir. (a litle more inf. Did you know that the Dutch antem "Wilhelmus" is written in honor of Willem van Oranje?)

A little bit of both, actually... I knew about Willem and the 80 Years War, and I knew about William III, but I never realized that they had the same title until you mentioned it earlier. And I've never actually heard any Dutch anthems, heh, so that's news to me too.

All I can say is I'm LMAO.

Sure, Ol' James Cook did some nice maps... Some fantastic maps, even... But did he ever transpose the image of a country onto the back of a lion holding a sword in a verdant field?

Either that or the mark of a man that used to strenghten his drinks with poppy extract.

Archived