Controller And KB&M at the same time.

robere10

I am sure that this is a dead horse that wishes to be buried instead of beaten repeatedly...but...Has anyone found a way to enable controller use and still maintain KB&M functions...or at least Keyboard functions?

The closest I have been able to come is using XPadder to emulate KB&M funtions using my controller. But it seems to loose something in the "translation".

Now before we get into the whole "OMG...KB&M is sooooo much better..."....blah, blah,blah crap...I happen to enoy using my PS3 controllers on my PC...as I have been a console player religously due to my many deployments and the inability to put together a decent PC to handle my gaming needs. Now although I have finaly gotten togher my gaming PC, I seem to have developed an addiction to the feel of the PS3 controller. I still use the KB&M for certain games and whatnot...but, to me, some games just feel more natural with my PS3 controller.

With that said, I use Motion Joy to allow my PS3 to be used on my PC...Add a BT dongle and I'm wireless...the Motions Joy also enables me to emulate 360 controllers...for those games that already have a controller feature...as well as various versions of the DualShock/SIXAXIS. Through the use of Xpadder, I am also now able to amulate KB&M inputs with my PS3 controller, so games that don't have some sort of controller option can be played with one. Through this setup I am able to go back and forth flawlessly without having to plug and unplug and what not.

But...I was just wondering if ANYONE has found a way to do the job without having to use the XPadder. If not...oh well.

For those of you interested, XPadder is a GREAT program that is fully configurable so as to allow you to use a controller or joystick to emulate ANY Keyboard and or Mouse input whilst maintaining your KB&M functionality. For those of you with a Laptop that like the feel, get you a USB contoller combine with Xpadder and your practically walking with a portable console! Great for my Brothers and Sisters in arms who are constantly deploying.

Using both is not possible in the New Vegas engine, as enabling the controller completely disables the use of KB&M. You can't even access the console without going into the options and disabling the controller.

The only place this is not true is in the text input where you name your character at the start of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a DS3 with motioninjoy to emulate a xbox controller and i got my keyboard working for all the hotkeys for various mods(PN,YATS,XRE,) without disabling the controller. the only thing i have to disable the controller to use the keyboard for is ~console commands and the PN implant menu for some reason lol.

• 4 years later...

NVSE will detect KB presses via its scripting functions because it reads the DirectInput calls directly. Only NVSE scripts can use KB input while using a gamepad, however.

Yeah I know this is considered necroing but in theory wouldn't it be possible to create an nvse plugin to pull the command console open with a key press in order to enable the console without people having to keep unplugging to do console related things?

Edited by SketchSlayer