Freezes/stuttering with editing npc's mod or Leveled lists

Hazraogh

Hello,

Me and a fiew people have issue with mods that edits NPC's, such as Better locational Damages, Lots more settlers and ennemies (LMSE) , varied raiders, varied gunners etc, MK Agony ( i don't know why),

And similars mods. The game starts to freeze for seconds and have massive stutters. ( see videos below ). The fact is , i don't know why it does that since a week or two and before everything worked just fine. I don't know why it does it to only a few people.

I tried every load order possibilites, sort it with Loot, Mod organizer, used ini tweaks for performances, nothing works.

If someone has the issue and found out, please, post it here, so maybe i'd upload the fix / patch on Nexus for those who have similar issues ( or you are free to do it ).

Thank you in advance, good game and good modding ! :)

Edited by Hazraogh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

In the tests that I have done NPCs take up more resources than anything else. The biggest hit is CPU.

To run a game smoothly with 3x or more NPCs you need a CPU with very high IPS.

As a save gets older even more CPU power is required. My older saves(level 70 to 130) are only smooth on my i7 8700k. My i7 6700k is only smooth to about level 70.

The good news for AMD users is the new Ryzen 7 2700X has a high enough IPS to do the job. This is a really a big deal.

Later

Hi, thank you for your fast answer :smile:

i got the I5-4690K and never had any problem before, that's why i start wondering .

My character is new ( level 5) just started. I got those same mods since a long time ago, almost 3 months or more maybe and the issue just "appeared" a few weeks/days ago. While i was solving another problem with the wetness material in game, it didn't appeared while raining.. So i was modifying things in the INi and i sorted my load order with LOOT, that solved this problem, but i still got Freezes and heavy stuttering when ennemies are close . I remember the two issues appeared almost in the same time.

When i disable LMSE or BLD, or any similar mod, i don't have any stuttering.

Could it be from the INI's or maybe from something else ?

Edited by Hazraogh

Fallout 4 can get crazy.

I did my vanilla testing back when the game came out & could got 60fps almost everywhere with my 17 2600k. There were some drops but none of them were in Boston. This was at 4k resolution with a GTX 980 ti.

When the Automatron DLC came out my frame rate tanked & I got stutter. Using Fallout Performance monitor I noticed that the stutter came from i/o. My hard drive could not keep up with the load-ins. During the load-in the CPU usage went up causing frame rate to go down. All the i/o & CPU drops were as I approached settlements or large groups of aggressive NPCs. To temporarily fix the problem I when back to vanilla NPC counts.

In 2016 I upgraded my old 2007 755 sock computer with a i7 6700k, 1tb SSD & 2x GTX 980 tis. With this computer I could get my game back to were it was before Automatron.

The SSD did such a great job on the i7 6700k computer that I put one on my 2011 vintage i7 2600k computer. With that upgrade I ended up with 2 computers that could play my heavily modded Fallout 4.

A few months of modding & my i7 6700k computer started to have stutter. Since my i7 2600k computer didn't on the same save I figured that it was an ini compatibility issue with the newer hardware.

I used these lines in the fallout4.ini to fix the problem.

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
bDisableAllGore=0
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

I use these lines to fix texture issues.

bForceUpdateDiffuseOnly=0
iTextureUpgradeDistance1=7500
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=5000
iTextureDegradeDistance1=7500
iTextureDegradeDistance0=5000

Source.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/808/

These help me to get up to 3x NPCs & 7x on raiders, ghouls & Blood bugs. My favorite is 10x on cockroaches. Being chased by 30 cockroaches is the way to go.

Later

i got the I5-4690K and never had any problem before, that's why i start wondering .

My character is new ( level 5) just started. I got those same mods since a long time ago, almost 3 months or more maybe and the issue just "appeared" a few weeks/days ago. While i was solving another problem with the wetness material in game, it didn't appeared while raining.. So i was modifying things in the INi and i sorted my load order with LOOT, that solved this problem, but i still got Freezes and heavy stuttering when ennemies are close . I remember the two issues appeared almost in the same time.

It might be both. I have the same issue every time I approach NPC's, as I also have edited NPC's, and a lot of leveled list's.

I been using Unique NPC's, Looksmenu Body morfs, which I can't get to work, and over 200 weapons, and armor/clothing added to the leveled lists.

I have done a lot of .ini tweaks, and Wile this dose annoy me, as I can run this game at 50-60 fps with no problems, only when the game loads new NPC's do I have issues.

Edited by bill8872

It might be both. I have the same issue every time I approach NPC's, as I also have edited NPC's, and a lot of leveled list's.

I been using Unique NPC's, Looksmenu Body morfs, which I can't get to work, and over 200 weapons, and armor/clothing added to the leveled lists.

I have done a lot of .ini tweaks, and Wile this dose annoy me, as I can run this game at 50-60 fps with no problems, only when the game loads new NPC's do I have issues.

Same as me comrade, i'm testing the ini's settings that jones177 recommends me ( thanks to you my friend), and i'll see if there is changes, i keep you all informed :smile:

Edited by Hazraogh

Stutters appear specially with NPC mods, that add new / modify NPCs.

If an NPC is copied/overwritten with FO4Edit it causes lag spikes, because it does not copy all the data the game needs and when you approach those NPCs the data is calculated on the fly.

Your issue is maybe caused by varied raiders or LMSE

BLD does also modify NPC, but they are created with the Creation Kit. Long time ago, i tried also the FO4Edit route, but it caused those issues. Recreating the whole plugin with creation kit solved the issue.

Also make sure, you have no mods that break precombined meshes.

Hi Zzyxzz,

, i did tests and even with the ini's tweaks from Jones177, i still have the stutterings.Ok i see, i use those ones too : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4612 and https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26286

I think those edits precombined ?

. But when i disable all the mods that edits NPC or leveled list, even if only one stays loaded Boom, it freezes. I got a video here, so you can see if you want :smile:

Well, some stutterings are not really a problem, it doesnt bother me, but when it is like this :

So i wonder how could i reduce it , i tried all the shadows tweaks, the performances things, distance of view, shadows distance and quality etc, nothing works for now. :/

Here's my load order's below :smile:, all the disabled mods are the ones that makes stutters ( proof in video here )

Load order

https://i.imgur.com/WfMsn9K.png

https://i.imgur.com/nTq4fd5.png

https://i.imgur.com/ep5YKSn.png

https://i.imgur.com/150YtWN.png

Edited by Hazraogh

Tweaks won't work. The issue is related to NPCs

Disable those mods Lots More Settlers and Enemies and varied raiders and walkers and probably any other mod that edits NPCs except BLD.

Move BLD with all its esps to the very end of your load order. Unique Player Body will be overwritten by BLD, as it overwrites the player, but you can patch that, after testing, if its working.

If you are using the SuperMutantOverhaul replacer esp from BLD, chosen from the FOMod, it will also not cause the issue, as i repaired that esp and rebuild the NPCs from scratch.

Mods that edit Leveled List will never cause such issues, just for information.

I tried what you said with BLD in the end of the load order, but still have the issue. Mhmm, it looks like my game doesn't support those mods anymore. I don't know why the fck it does that now, that is what's drives me crazy xD I played like this for months and one day, boom.

Sadly it doesn't work, i don't know what to do xD I can't delete those mods i love them so much xD

by the way, about the leveled lists, thank you, i thought they did but no xD

Edited by Hazraogh