Head Texture Issues

spnphoenix92

I made a mod to Ysolda altering her apperance, but no matter what I do, I can't get the head to match the body color. I'm using "No More Blocky Faces", "Better Females", and "CBBE Nevernude". I tried downloading the CBBE Face Pack and it didnt help.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/wukusicksales/2012-04-26_00003.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/wukusicksales/2012-04-26_00006.jpg">

Here you go, I posted this over at Bethsoft the other day...

I've just spent a week attempting to get custom hairstyles on my followers, but I've been thwarted at every turn due to the head and body color mismatch bug. I have it working perfectly now, so I'd like to share this information with the community in a form which is easy to follow for novice CK users (and those of you who have gone bald pulling your hair out while Googling for a solution to this problem.)

I'm using ApachiiHair for this, you'll first need to download the mod from Skyrim Nexus, the link is HERE

(1) First, run Skyrim and make a savegame directly facing the npc who's hair style you'd like to change and write down their full name (it's better to save outside in sunlight than in some dingy place to see your custom hairstyle in it's full glory) Then, close/exit Skyrim.

(2) Launch the Creation Kit, from the File menu select 'Data'. Now, double click 'Skyrim.esm' and then double click 'ApachiiHair.esm' (both these files should have a black 'X' displayed in the left hand box. DO NOT SET 'ApachiHair.esm' as the active file, because we'll be making a new mod called 'Hairstyles.esp' Click OK and wait until the files are loaded, be patient, it can take a while on slower machines.

(3) If you receive any warning/alert boxes after the files have loaded, just click "Yes to all". If the CK appears to have stopped responding be patient, it's slow.

(4) Now you should see three windows, the 'Render Window', the 'Cell View' window and the 'Object Window', for this custom hair tutorial we'll only need the 'Object Window'. If you can't see it, go to 'View' on the main menu and select it from the list.

(5) In the 'Object Window', click once in the small box named 'Filter' in the top left hand corner. We'll need to find the NPC's to edit, so type their first/full name in to this box (If your searching for a Housecarl you won't find them by using the NPCs name, search for 'Housecarl' to find them instead)

(6) On this list you'll need a Left mouse click to highlight the NPC you've chosen to edit, Now, Right click selected NPC and select 'EDIT' from the menu.

(7) You should now see the 'Actor Window', scroll along the top tabs using the small arrow keys on this window until you find the 'Character Gen Parts' tab and select it.

(8) On the right side of this window (below the Interpolation slider) there's a small area named 'Base Head Parts', left mouse click 'Hair' from this list. Once you've highlighted it, a drop down menu will be available directly below this window. If you've installed a custom hair pack such as Apachii, this is where you'll find all the new styles listed (Along with all the boring vanilla/default NPC hair, the custom files are named ApachiiHairF01 through to ApachiiHairF25)

(9) Tick the 'Preview' box at the bottom of the page, this displays a render of your chosen NPC. If you receive any Warning/Alert boxes just click 'Yes to All' or 'Ignore'. (While the mouse pointer is in the render window, use the left mouse button to rotate the camera around you character, use the middle mouse button to zoom in/out. Right clicking on the npc render window displays a small menu which allows some customization of the camera controls.)

(10) Select a new Apachii hairstyle from the the drop down menu (8), the NPC render window will not update with the new hairstyle you choose until you click on the 'Preview' box again (9), you must do this each time you view a new hair style! Note: If you receive any Warnings/Alerts here click 'Yes to All'

(11) You'll now see your chosen NPC sporting the new hairstyle, follow the instructions in (10) until you've found a suitable style.

(12) Hair Color - At the top of the page directly below the 'Character Gen Morphs' tab is a drop down box named 'Hair color'. Select another color here if you're not happy with the default one.

(13) Now click 'OK' (bottom left corner) to close the Actor Window.

(14) Let's go back to the 'Object Window', ensure your NPC is still highlighted! Now press F4 (CTRL+FN +F4 on some Laptops) This will ask you to confirm the export/save of mesh and texture files for your edited NPC (You do not need to select a path for these files) Click 'OK' when prompted to 'Export face gen data for all selected NPCs". Click 'OK' again when this is completed.

(15) Minimise the Creation Kit to taskbar, it's time to delete a couple of texture files we exported from the Creation Kit. Go into your Skyrim 'Data' files folder (where your mods are located) use the path below to find and delete two files (one is a .dds and the other is a .tga file extension) these are located in:

Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Data/Textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenDate/FaceTint/Skyrim.esm/ (Delete both files found in here)

Note: Both the .dds and the .tga files are named after the Base ID of the NPC you just edited:

Example: 0001347b.dds and 0001347b.tga are generated for Camilla Valarius when you export the data in (14)

(16) Nearly there, maximise the Creation Kit from your taskbar because now it's time to save your custom hairstyle to a mod file. After following all of the above to the letter, click on the file menu and select 'Save'. As we don't have an active mod to save to you'll need to enter a filename here, but before you do navigate to your 'Data' files folder (where your mods are stored) usually found in: Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Data/

Now enter a filename (such as "Hairstyles") and save.

(17) Load Skyrim, but before launching the game select 'Data Files' from the menu screen and tick the box next to the custom .esp mod file you just saved out of the Creation Kit, you'll also need to tick the box for the ApachiiHair mod and move it to the top of the load order list by selecting it and using the arrow keys located below the mod list window. Now launch Skyrim and load your NPC savegame (1). Voila! You now have a custom hairstyle without the head and body color mismatch.

(18) Rather than generate a separate mod file for every npc/followers hairstyle you want to change, follow the instructions in (2) but this time select your custom 'Hairstyles.esm' and tick the box, then click the box below it named "Set as active file". All changes to other followers/NPCs will automatically be saved to this one file (I suggest making changes to one NPC at a time and testing your modifications work before altering any others). You'll need to go through this proceedure everytime you run the CK.

* Note: Mod load order is important. Once your edited followers are looking correct ingame, I suggest that you always keep your custom hairstyle file at the very bottom of the list, otherwise the head/body colour mismatch problem can reappear after loading a savegame, this happens when you move it up to a different position in the "Data Files" load order. (simply move it back to it's original position and the head/body color mismatch problem will go away)

---------------------

I have Lisette as a follower in my game (although she's not usually available as a follower), she has a strange problem where selecting a custom hairstyle will detatch her head from her body producing a visible see-through seam. I have fixed this in my game by following these steps.

Load up the Creation Kit

Select NPC Lisette in Object Window

Under TAB 'Traits' change NPC 'Weight' to 100 (Default is 50)

Save out your new data to your custom Hairstyles mod file.

Minimise the CK and launch Skyrim with your mod selected.

Find Lisette and create your savegame while facing her, open the console and adjust her weight to cover the seam using the command "snpcw (value)" to hide the seam (try small values around 105 upwards until it's hidden)

Save your game.

Exit Skyrim, Maximise the CK.

Change her default weight back to 50, save your mod file.

Launch Skyrim with your mod active and load your savegame, Lisette should be back to normal with no head/body color mismatch and no detached head, sporting her new custom hairstyle.

---------------------

What's that? You want your characters hair to look good too? Ok then...

Install and include the Apachii custom hair mod in your game.

Open the console and type "showracemenu" without the quotes, make and save your changes, exit and save your game.

---------------------

Here are a couple of shots of my followers Before and After applying the Apachii custom hair pack using the method above, as you can see.. no color mismatch problems.

This solution should work with other hair packs, but I haven't tested them out yet.

Edited by Fulcrum2

but will this work for the facial textures?

As well as Apachii Hair, I have Better Females by Bella installed, also Cover Eyes. So, yes.

If you are refering to War Paint removal, I can tell you how to do that as well.

• 3 months later...

I made a mod to Ysolda altering her apperance, but no matter what I do, I can't get the head to match the body color. I'm using "No More Blocky Faces", "Better Females", and "CBBE Nevernude". I tried downloading the CBBE Face Pack and it didnt help.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/wukusicksales/2012-04-26_00003.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/wukusicksales/2012-04-26_00006.jpg">

Need help on how to do this on my companion mods. They are the ones suffering from head texture issues please need help

Here you go, I posted this over at Bethsoft the other day...

I've just spent a week attempting to get custom hairstyles on my followers, but I've been thwarted at every turn due to the head and body color mismatch bug. I have it working perfectly now, so I'd like to share this information with the community in a form which is easy to follow for novice CK users (and those of you who have gone bald pulling your hair out while Googling for a solution to this problem.)

I'm using ApachiiHair for this, you'll first need to download the mod from Skyrim Nexus, the link is HERE

(1) First, run Skyrim and make a savegame directly facing the npc who's hair style you'd like to change and write down their full name (it's better to save outside in sunlight than in some dingy place to see your custom hairstyle in it's full glory) Then, close/exit Skyrim.

(2) Launch the Creation Kit, from the File menu select 'Data'. Now, double click 'Skyrim.esm' and then double click 'ApachiiHair.esm' (both these files should have a black 'X' displayed in the left hand box. DO NOT SET 'ApachiHair.esm' as the active file, because we'll be making a new mod called 'Hairstyles.esp' Click OK and wait until the files are loaded, be patient, it can take a while on slower machines.

(3) If you receive any warning/alert boxes after the files have loaded, just click "Yes to all". If the CK appears to have stopped responding be patient, it's slow.

(4) Now you should see three windows, the 'Render Window', the 'Cell View' window and the 'Object Window', for this custom hair tutorial we'll only need the 'Object Window'. If you can't see it, go to 'View' on the main menu and select it from the list.

(5) In the 'Object Window', click once in the small box named 'Filter' in the top left hand corner. We'll need to find the NPC's to edit, so type their first/full name in to this box (If your searching for a Housecarl you won't find them by using the NPCs name, search for 'Housecarl' to find them instead)

(6) On this list you'll need a Left mouse click to highlight the NPC you've chosen to edit, Now, Right click selected NPC and select 'EDIT' from the menu.

(7) You should now see the 'Actor Window', scroll along the top tabs using the small arrow keys on this window until you find the 'Character Gen Parts' tab and select it.

(8) On the right side of this window (below the Interpolation slider) there's a small area named 'Base Head Parts', left mouse click 'Hair' from this list. Once you've highlighted it, a drop down menu will be available directly below this window. If you've installed a custom hair pack such as Apachii, this is where you'll find all the new styles listed (Along with all the boring vanilla/default NPC hair, the custom files are named ApachiiHairF01 through to ApachiiHairF25)

(9) Tick the 'Preview' box at the bottom of the page, this displays a render of your chosen NPC. If you receive any Warning/Alert boxes just click 'Yes to All' or 'Ignore'. (While the mouse pointer is in the render window, use the left mouse button to rotate the camera around you character, use the middle mouse button to zoom in/out. Right clicking on the npc render window displays a small menu which allows some customization of the camera controls.)

(10) Select a new Apachii hairstyle from the the drop down menu (8), the NPC render window will not update with the new hairstyle you choose until you click on the 'Preview' box again (9), you must do this each time you view a new hair style! Note: If you receive any Warnings/Alerts here click 'Yes to All'

(11) You'll now see your chosen NPC sporting the new hairstyle, follow the instructions in (10) until you've found a suitable style.

(12) Hair Color - At the top of the page directly below the 'Character Gen Morphs' tab is a drop down box named 'Hair color'. Select another color here if you're not happy with the default one.

(13) Now click 'OK' (bottom left corner) to close the Actor Window.

(14) Let's go back to the 'Object Window', ensure your NPC is still highlighted! Now press F4 (CTRL+FN +F4 on some Laptops) This will ask you to confirm the export/save of mesh and texture files for your edited NPC (You do not need to select a path for these files) Click 'OK' when prompted to 'Export face gen data for all selected NPCs". Click 'OK' again when this is completed.

(15) Minimise the Creation Kit to taskbar, it's time to delete a couple of texture files we exported from the Creation Kit. Go into your Skyrim 'Data' files folder (where your mods are located) use the path below to find and delete two files (one is a .dds and the other is a .tga file extension) these are located in:

Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Data/Textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenDate/FaceTint/Skyrim.esm/ (Delete both files found in here)

Note: Both the .dds and the .tga files are named after the Base ID of the NPC you just edited:

Example: 0001347b.dds and 0001347b.tga are generated for Camilla Valarius when you export the data in (14)

(16) Nearly there, maximise the Creation Kit from your taskbar because now it's time to save your custom hairstyle to a mod file. After following all of the above to the letter, click on the file menu and select 'Save'. As we don't have an active mod to save to you'll need to enter a filename here, but before you do navigate to your 'Data' files folder (where your mods are stored) usually found in: Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Data/

Now enter a filename (such as "Hairstyles") and save.

(17) Load Skyrim, but before launching the game select 'Data Files' from the menu screen and tick the box next to the custom .esp mod file you just saved out of the Creation Kit, you'll also need to tick the box for the ApachiiHair mod and move it to the top of the load order list by selecting it and using the arrow keys located below the mod list window. Now launch Skyrim and load your NPC savegame (1). Voila! You now have a custom hairstyle without the head and body color mismatch.

(18) Rather than generate a separate mod file for every npc/followers hairstyle you want to change, follow the instructions in (2) but this time select your custom 'Hairstyles.esm' and tick the box, then click the box below it named "Set as active file". All changes to other followers/NPCs will automatically be saved to this one file (I suggest making changes to one NPC at a time and testing your modifications work before altering any others). You'll need to go through this proceedure everytime you run the CK.

* Note: Mod load order is important. Once your edited followers are looking correct ingame, I suggest that you always keep your custom hairstyle file at the very bottom of the list, otherwise the head/body colour mismatch problem can reappear after loading a savegame, this happens when you move it up to a different position in the "Data Files" load order. (simply move it back to it's original position and the head/body color mismatch problem will go away)

---------------------

I have Lisette as a follower in my game (although she's not usually available as a follower), she has a strange problem where selecting a custom hairstyle will detatch her head from her body producing a visible see-through seam. I have fixed this in my game by following these steps.

Load up the Creation Kit

Select NPC Lisette in Object Window

Under TAB 'Traits' change NPC 'Weight' to 100 (Default is 50)

Save out your new data to your custom Hairstyles mod file.

Minimise the CK and launch Skyrim with your mod selected.

Find Lisette and create your savegame while facing her, open the console and adjust her weight to cover the seam using the command "snpcw (value)" to hide the seam (try small values around 105 upwards until it's hidden)

Save your game.

Exit Skyrim, Maximise the CK.

Change her default weight back to 50, save your mod file.

Launch Skyrim with your mod active and load your savegame, Lisette should be back to normal with no head/body color mismatch and no detached head, sporting her new custom hairstyle.

---------------------

What's that? You want your characters hair to look good too? Ok then...

Install and include the Apachii custom hair mod in your game.

Open the console and type "showracemenu" without the quotes, make and save your changes, exit and save your game.

---------------------

Here are a couple of shots of my followers Before and After applying the Apachii custom hair pack using the method above, as you can see.. no color mismatch problems.

This solution should work with other hair packs, but I haven't tested them out yet.

Does this fix also work for mod companions?

• 1 year later...