Question !

sopmac45

Last night, after I created a new profile, I decided to delete the new profile and my default profile disappear from Vortex. Also, the Mods, Plugins and Save Game tabs disappear. I checked Extensions and one of them ( don't remember which one ) was disable so I proceeded to enable it and that did not fix the problem so, out of ideas, I decided to completely remove Vortex using the uninstall file in the Vortex directory.

No sweats so far since I do understand that Vortex is in Alpha state and I really do not care how many times I need to do this or that in order to learn and provide my humble feedback is any.

After Vortex was reinstalled, and I activated my Skyrim game ( started from fresh ), my mods from my previous game showed up ..... so now I am confused and disoriented. I thought that when you completely remove an application and reinstall it again, nothing from the previous setup should be there.

Obviously I had to remove all those mods, but my concern is ( question ) if traces of the previous game / mods are still hanging inside Vortex. I would like to know if for any reason this happen again, and if for any reason I decide to completely remove all of my mods / plugins, is there something else I need to remove from Vortex directory so no loose files or anything like it will interfere with my new game ?

Beside removing the game from Steam, remove Skyrim SE folder and the other Skyrim folder from My games, is there something else I need to remove from Vortex directory so I can start a fresh install as if I was using Vortex for the very first time ?

Again, this is a question because I do not know really how Vortex handles this at all.

With NMM, removing all mods and reinstalling a new game was never a problem but I am not working with NMM anymore ... but in the back of my mind, I do admit, NMM process is still there and I am comparing, precisely because I do not know exactly, not yet, how Vortex really works and how to manage it in situations like this. Please help !!

Thanks

When you uninstall MS Office, do you expect it to uninstall all your documents? When you uninstall a game, do you expect it to uninstall save games?

Uninstalling Vortex only removes the application itself, none of the data you "created" while using it. If you later reinstall vortex it will continue where you left off before.

This is the intended behaviour, however we will also provide a way to clean up the data in the future.

It is not trivial though, to properly clean up, vortex needs to still be installed and working because it has to disable/purge the installed mods and it still needs to know your settings, i.e. where your mods, downloads, profiles, ... are installed.

What this means is: If your Vortex breaks in such a way that it can't run properly, it can also not uninstall correctly.

For the time being, if you want to uninstall vortex and actually clean out its data, the cleanest way is to

- inside vortex, "purge" for all games you manage

- uninstall vortex

- delete %APPDATA%\vortex

- delete ProgramData\vortex if it exists (which is if you ever used vortex shared mode)

- delete all non-standard mod/download directories you used

This should clean up vortex and everything you've done with it.

EDIT: Also: Please never again create a forum thread (anywhere) titled "question". This is the last time I'll reply to such a thread.

When you uninstall MS Office, do you expect it to uninstall all your documents? When you uninstall a game, do you expect it to uninstall save games?

Uninstalling Vortex only removes the application itself, none of the data you "created" while using it. If you later reinstall vortex it will continue where you left off before.

This is the intended behaviour, however we will also provide a way to clean up the data in the future.

It is not trivial though, to properly clean up, vortex needs to still be installed and working because it has to disable/purge the installed mods and it still needs to know your settings, i.e. where your mods, downloads, profiles, ... are installed.

What this means is: If your Vortex breaks in such a way that it can't run properly, it can also not uninstall correctly.

For the time being, if you want to uninstall vortex and actually clean out its data, the cleanest way is to

- inside vortex, "purge" for all games you manage

- uninstall vortex

- delete %APPDATA%\vortex

- delete ProgramData\vortex if it exists (which is if you ever used vortex shared mode)

- delete all non-standard mod/download directories you used

This should clean up vortex and everything you've done with it.

EDIT: Also: Please never again create a forum thread (anywhere) titled "question". This is the last time I'll reply to such a thread.

Thank you so much for replying and explaining how to clean out Vortex data.

I do agree with you on using "question" for a subject is to vague, especially in a Feedback thread and I won't use it anymore but I had to find an answer for my question and I really appreciate your help.

Hi Tannin,

- Where is the %APPDATA%\vortex located at please ? Tried to find it but I do not see it ....

Also, after "purging" ( second step in your explanation ), you are indicating to "Uninstall Vortex", so by doing that, won't be the %APPDATE%\vortex be also removed ?

Thanks again ...

%APPDATA%\Vortex is not removed when you uninstall Vortex. Tannin said that in his post above.

To find this location, open Windows Explorer, click in the location bar at the top and type in %APPDATA%\vortex and hit enter. Explorer will navigate to the proper location.

%APPDATA%\Vortex is not removed when you uninstall Vortex. Tannin said that in his post above.

To find this location, open Windows Explorer, click in the location bar at the top and type in %APPDATA%\vortex and hit enter. Explorer will navigate to the proper location.

... found it ... thanks so much