Simple manual load ordering plz

firsTraveler

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any way you could add a simple (drag and drop or equiv) way to force order load order?

Thank you

Technically you can drag and drop any plugin wherever you want in your load order but not as it was done in NMM.

@Kongolan: You can sort the plugin list by clicking on the column header so you could sort alphabetically or (if you enable the column) based on the mod category. Does that help?

It's important to understand that Vortex separates visual ordering and load ordering, one is for you, as the user, the other is for resolving conflicts so the game runs stable. I chose loot rules as the default mechanism for conflict resolution because I think it's all around superior for that and I don't want to complicate the UI by providing (by default, in the same UI) another way to do the same thing.

However I'm happy to hear proposals to make the visual ordering more pleasant.

This request is starting to appear a lot, please make an opt in advance mode or something for users that are abit above loot only sorting. Both fallout and skyrim have situations where a plugin would benefit for patch reasons to be before a particular mod but after another. Right now you can only load after but after can be 1 after or 100 after. And soft conflicts can arise

@Kongolan: You can sort the plugin list by clicking on the column header so you could sort alphabetically or (if you enable the column) based on the mod category. Does that help?

It's important to understand that Vortex separates visual ordering and load ordering, one is for you, as the user, the other is for resolving conflicts so the game runs stable. I chose loot rules as the default mechanism for conflict resolution because I think it's all around superior for that and I don't want to complicate the UI by providing (by default, in the same UI) another way to do the same thing.

However I'm happy to hear proposals to make the visual ordering more pleasant.

Ok Tannin, conflicts are resolved under MODS tab when installing mods and I guess that the load order under PLUGINS is what you call "visual ordering", am I right ? Where does the load order provided by LOOT falls in ?

Also, under PLUGINS, we manage dependencies ... so I am confused and I would appreciate your explanation now that you are bringing this up in this thread please. If rules ( under MODS ) are what determine our game to run stable, what are dependencies ( under PLUGINS ) for, assuming this is our "visual order" ? If this "visual order" does not play any rol in our game to run stable, what is the purpose of it please ?

Okay, let's see if I can clear this up for you.

The MODS tab determines what files overwrite what, and is often called the "install" order. If two mods try to install the same file they are said to be in "conflict". This tab is where you determine which file should be loaded last, overriding any previous mods copy. The Dependencies column shows you if there are unresolved conflicts with a red bolt that turns green once you set a rule. The order you see the MODS on this tab have no bearing on how the game sees or loads them. Any sorting here is strictly for human viewing.

The PLUGINS tab shows the order of the ESM and ESP plugin files. This is where sorting, like using LOOT, is done. You can control the sorting manually by using Dependencies (i.e. load plugin B after A) or with priorities. On this tab the Load Order column is how the game actually loads the files. When sorted on this column, you see the plugins in the order the game will load them. Again, you can sort on any column, but the game will only be concerned with the Load Order column.

I hope that clears up things for you.

Cheers!

Okay, let's see if I can clear this up for you.

The MODS tab determines what files overwrite what, and is often called the "install" order. If two mods try to install the same file they are said to be in "conflict". This tab is where you determine which file should be loaded last, overriding any previous mods copy. The Dependencies column shows you if there are unresolved conflicts with a red bolt that turns green once you set a rule. The order you see the MODS on this tab have no bearing on how the game sees or loads them. Any sorting here is strictly for human viewing.

The PLUGINS tab shows the order of the ESM and ESP plugin files. This is where sorting, like using LOOT, is done. You can control the sorting manually by using Dependencies (i.e. load plugin B after A) or with priorities. On this tab the Load Order column is how the game actually loads the files. When sorted on this column, you see the plugins in the order the game will load them. Again, you can sort on any column, but the game will only be concerned with the Load Order column.

I hope that clears up things for you.

Cheers!

Thanks so much SkunkMonkey ... I was not sure which one was the "visual order" Tannin was referring to. Clear !! :cool:

... SkunkMonkey, got a question if you are so kind please ? Anytime I use LOOT, it does change my load order to something different setup in Vortex, even though I have been using Global Priority to place some plugins in certain places according to mod author' suggestions.

For example, Sands of Time ( SoT ) was setup in Vortex with a Global Priority of 119 and Vortex placed it right there, before Flower Girls ( 120 and the last in my load order ). Per SoT mod author, this mod should be placed at the bottom or as close as the bottom, but LOOT is placing this mod right in the middle of my load order and this is not what I do not freaking understand at all.

Question is : should I use LOOT or not ? If so, then why I should worry about setting up dependencies in the PLUGINS tab if they are not going to be respected by LOOT ?

What is the Sort function for in the PLUGINS tab of Vortex ? Should I only sort my load order using this function inside Vortex and totally forget about LOOT or what is it that I need to do, so what I setup in Vortex, is respected by LOOT ? Please help me and advise if you can, otherwise I hope that Tannin reads this and input his recommendation.

Thanks so much to whoever answer and explain to me so learn how to deal with load order for once !!