Fallout 4 VR and rifles.

Master1988

Hello everyone!

I've been playing around with modding for Fallout 4 VR lately, but have hit a wall with the weapons mods.

After installing three packs of weapons to the game, I noticed a commen thing to all the packs. The grip on rifles and other two handed weapons are off.

Instead of holding the grip, most weapons end up being held from the stock. And to be honest, kinda kills the feel of using them.

So after looking around on google, I came over a lot posts about VR patches to the weapon packs, which supposedly would fix this problem. But after installing the patches, nothing changed.

I'm at this point tired of reading through posts on the web that say the same, and instead I thought I'd ask you fine people if you know a fix for this. Or eventually what I might be doing wrong.

Pistols and some sniper rifles work. Mostly AR's and rifles that are held wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a small list of the weapon packs and the patches I have on my list so far.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-DOOM Weapon Merger + DOOM Weapon Merge VR patch

-Modern Sidearms

-Modern Firearms

-FO4VR_Submachinegun Position Fix

-DPAssaultCarbine + Assault Carbine and Rifle VR Patch

-See-Through-Scopes

-Weapons of Fate

-Improved Reflect Sight Reticle Visibility (VR)

-Bullpup Bozar

-Sig Sauer P127

-9mm Pistol Redux

-The Widow Shotgun

-ODSC - Optimized Debris Shell and Casing

I appreciate any insight on this issue and look forward to hear what you guys have to say.

Edit: Took some photo's to show how it looks. I tried to line up the yellow line from the compass to show where my hand is holding the gun.
First of some that work.
20180426223129_1.jpg
20180426223206_1.jpg
20180426223303_1.jpg
20180426223323_1.jpg
20180426230127_1.jpg

And here are some that don't.

20180426223225_1.jpg
20180426223244_1.jpg
20180426225408_1.jpg
It seems to be AR rifles that don't work. As shotguns, pistols and smg's seem fine. Special weapons as the gatlinggun also seem fine.
Also noticed Winston would be holding the rifle strange at times. So it seems to effect the NPC's.

20180426225818_1.jpg
One of the weapons even shot out from my crotch, and wasn't visible in the hand.
20180426223151_1.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT 6.6.2018: I have yet to figure this problem out and have tried alot of things so far. Might need to do a clean install to potentially fix my problem.
Edited by Master1988

Could you post some screenshots of the hand position on a few different weapons? Make sure you get a variety with weapons using different animation sets. There are a few possible problems and fixes, pictures will help narrow it down.

Well it certainly makes the Vanilla weapons shine huh? I would value those more because it's less work. Actually that type of clipping I don't even acknowledge because I used to make weapons. Now it would be requiring a custom animation for the weapon instead of adjusting the weapon to fit the grip of the hand (you know, or hiding that with FOV) If there are not any people making weapons for VR it certainly would become your niche if you made the effort. LOL, I don't have money for VR, I can just barely run FO4 with standard PC gaming hardware. So even if you could find a 3D artist making weapons it would also need to be someone whom had the money for VR. But I would't forget your ability to overlook small things in exchange for more freedom in your hobby, that's priceless. Good Luck.

P.S. Tell us some good VR stories man, please, we have no mooney. LOL :-D

Photo's are now added to see the problem better.

ZeroAndOne; I really hope more weapons and mods come to Fallout 4 VR. It has tons of potential to be super fun and polished if the community starts to mod more of it.

Been playing a couple of hours of survival mode, and a mod that makes it so that you can spawn with random gear at random places. The feeling of bullets whizzing over your head when you can't take many hits yourself is super intense and fun.

Little ammo, so you need to be conserve ammo and aim well. Constantly looking for loot so that you can keep surviving. The feeling of ghouls superman leaping right into your face. It's so much fun and makes for some really intense experiences.

Ofc the game isn't perfect. But it's nice having such a big world to play in VR.

Well it certainly makes the Vanilla weapons shine huh? I would value those more because it's less work. Actually that type of clipping I don't even acknowledge because I used to make weapons. Now it would be requiring a custom animation for the weapon instead of adjusting the weapon to fit the grip of the hand (you know, or hiding that with FOV) If there are not any people making weapons for VR it certainly would become your niche if you made the effort. LOL, I don't have money for VR, I can just barely run FO4 with standard PC gaming hardware. So even if you could find a 3D artist making weapons it would also need to be someone whom had the money for VR. But I would't forget your ability to overlook small things in exchange for more freedom in your hobby, that's priceless. Good Luck.

P.S. Tell us some good VR stories man, please, we have no mooney. LOL :-D

Edited by Master1988

Does it consistently affect NPCs, or just sometimes? Also, is the compass line marking where they connect to the hand? That seems to be case, but let me know for sure.

Right now my best guess is that they are using the same 'animation' or node or something to hold those rifles as for pistols. An animator could probably understand the problem better, but I think it could be fixed by shifting the receiver meshes backward in Nifskope. That's actually a really easy fix if it works. Let me know of a vanilla weapon that is broken and send me an image marking where the hand currently connects (so I can judge the distance it needs to move), and I'll see about making a test fix this weekend with that method.

The weapon that shoots from your crotch likely had custom animations that aren't compatible with VR, or just doesn't have the animations set up correctly. I've seen similar issues with missing anims in Source.

Edited by jkruse05

So yes. The yellow line is where my hand connects to the weapons. Original weapons like the first ones work as they should. Mostly the modded AR that don't seem to work properly.

The problem with NPC's varies. So one moment their holding it wrong, and the next moment it's right. Seems to be connected to some of the passive standing animations. So your theory seems to be right there.

I've seen people talk about Nif files and such on other forums, but never seen where they get saved. Do they go to a specific path in the game folder?

Edit:

I downloaded NifSkope and took a look around in the folders. Mostly found scope and sight placements. So didn't see anything I could wrap my head around. Definitely need some guidance on where to look, and what to change.

Edited by Master1988

Hmmm, according to this I'm making the same false assumption that the OP (kevtg26) was making. Supposedly the fix is pretty quick, but I can't see why the ones you are using don't work, as they seem to for other users. How do you install your mods and did you make sure to set archive invalidation?

Hmmm, according to this I'm making the same false assumption that the OP (kevtg26) was making. Supposedly the fix is pretty quick, but I can't see why the ones you are using don't work, as they seem to for other users. How do you install your mods and did you make sure to set archive invalidation?

Hmm. Strange. I first installed the mods just using the Nexus mod manager. But then I tried doing it manually. Incase not all the files got installed. But nothing changed.

So from what I understand, I might need to remove the Nif files, as their giving out the wrong information?

The .nif files from those fixes should be fine, they don't do the same thing I was thinking of doing. What you might need to do is edit an .ini file to make sure loose files in the data folder are overwriting the ones from the archive. See here. If NMM is installing properly for you, then you should only have to do that first step, but installing a mod with that full process may be a good idea just to test if the mod actually works or not. The files names may be slightly different for VR, but should be similar enough to figure out.