Vortex Suddenly Ignores Global Priority

Debatra

My understanding of Global Priority is that the lower the number, the higher in the load order it places a mod; and that this is intended to be overridden by the specific rules we can set up. If this is wrong, please tell me how. If this is right, please tell me what other things can override Global Priority. Because I'm at a loss for why Vortex thinks my load order should look the way it does.

Particularly egregious is the one mod I have at GP 127 sitting above a completely-unrelated GP 0 mod.

LOOT considers many factors when creating load orders, for example a plugin can't be loaded before its masters, that could explain what you're seeing (can't verify because you cut of the plugin names).

Second, rules overrule priorities and they are transitive, so if you have something like "a after b" and "c after b" then c will also be loaded after a, no matter the global priorities.

You say the mod at mod index 88 is unrelated to the one in 87 but I have no way of verifying that. If this is true and the mod 88 has absolutely no relation to 87 (no rules, direct or indirect and no master) then you are right, it should not be loaded after it.

Also, did loot actually sort the files or was there an error message? If you've disabled autosorting you have to actually hit the sort now button, otherwise Vortex will not change your load order at all. Plus some other modding tools will have their own copy of the load order and replace what vortex/loot generated so if you're also using one of those you may want to check if your plugins.txt was actually written by Vortex.

Everything was sorted by Vortex, which is the only mod organizer I currently have for this game. The mod at 88 does have a master, but it's up at 36. The one at 87 has no masters or rules except being at GP 127. I have autosorting disabled, but I've been using the sort button (including while writing this post just to verify - no change).

I've noticed that Vortex seems to mostly ignore Global Priority. The only way I can consistently get mods to sort into the order I want in Vortex is to use a dependency to tell it to load after some other mod. It's common for mods that appear near the bottom of my load order in loot to get moved to the top of the load order if I use Vortex's built in sorter unless I do this. I will say that the sort function in Vortex is very quick so I've just taken to relying mostly on that for sorting. I still use loot to double check that I'm not missing anything periodically but then just go and tweak my Vortex dependencies to fix the auto sort.