Vortex installation?

wfandrews

Caution - you do not want two Mod Managers thinking they are controlling the game at the same time.

Your results will not be good... I lost pieces of all my mods under Vortex when it detected NMM changes.

Set up an empty profile an NMM and activate it before you deploy from Vortex.

Not a bad idea to check your game directory after activating that empty NMM profile. It should be squeaky clean.

I would suggest deleting Scripts, Textures, and Meshes, then let Steam validate what is left. (heavy-handed cleanup - but effective)

Caution - you do not want two Mod Managers thinking they are controlling the game at the same time.

Your results will not be good... I lost pieces of all my mods under Vortex when it detected NMM changes.

Set up an empty profile an NMM and activate it before you deploy from Vortex.

Not a bad idea to check your game directory after activating that empty NMM profile. It should be squeaky clean.

I would suggest deleting Scripts, Textures, and Meshes, then let Steam validate what is left. (heavy-handed cleanup - but effective)

Im confused by the "activate, do not activate" directives people are putting out there.

If I am running NMM, and I have a main profile that I am using with mods installed and activated, the Vortex (minimalist) directions on the download page says:

"Because of the (now) archaic way that NMM handles files in the data folder, we recommend disabling any mods you have installed in NMM (or switching to an empty profile, that will in turn clear up any files NMM has placed in your game data folder) if your import to Vortex is successful."

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/13411

So reading this, it tells me that I should create a new profile in NMM (which I did) then "disable" any mods that are installed?

The problem is, when I do this process, and fire up Vortex, when I hit the "Import from NMM" button, no mods come up as available to import on the "setup" screen of the wizard.

(Pic attached)

There is another post that users are having the same issue.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6355901-importing-mods/

However when attempting to migrate with mods activated in NMM, Vortex see's them as it should. I attempted this as a test and verified Vortex will see the mods if they are activated in NMM, but not in any other way.

In my opinion the directions to move from NMM to Vortex are very vague and poorly written. With the recent announcement that NMM will be given a required update for privacy reasons, users will start moving to Vortex now. This is what made me decide to switch after monitoring the Vortex progress.

I have watched the limited videos on YT by Gopher and a few others but as of yet I havent found anything that details the step by step directions to move from NMM to Vortex. While I understand Vortex is Alpha, I would say Nexus will be seeing a big flood of migration attempts soon.

Can anyone confirm this migration process?

Let me make another stab at this, subject to correction.

Say I am currently running NMM and want to switch to Vortex.

1) Make the NMM profile I want to import in Vortex the active profile.

2) Stop NMM

3) Start the new Vortex installation and do all the setup required. Paths, etc.

4) Click the Import from NMM button and let the import finish. Do NOT click Deploy.

5) Stop Vortex

6) Start NMM and switch to a profile that has no mods selected.

7) Stop NMM and clean up your game directory from anything left over. That includes anything up to and including reinstalling from scratch if you don't recognize what belongs in the game directory. Don't run NMM again with a real profile. Switching back is a different, similar topic.

8 ) Run Stearn game validation if you use Steam to pick up any missing pieces.

9) Run Vortex and resolve any dependency issue. Then click Deploy.

10) Except for any remaining issues, like getting SKSE or F4SE and other tools working - you are done. Run the game.

Edited by rmm200

Let me make another stab at this, subject to correction.

Say I am currently running NMM and want to switch to Vortex.

1) Make the NMM profile I want to import in Vortex the active profile.

2) Stop NMM

3) Start the new Vortex installation and do all the setup required. Paths, etc.

4) Click the Import from NMM button and let the import finish. Do NOT click Deploy.

5) Stop Vortex

6) Start NMM and switch to a profile that has no mods selected.

7) Stop NMM and clean up your game directory from anything left over. That includes anything up to and including reinstalling from scratch if you don't recognize what belongs in the game directory. Don't run NMM again with a real profile. Switching back is a different, similar topic.

8 ) Run Stearn game validation if you use Steam to pick up any missing pieces.

9) Run Vortex and resolve any dependency issue. Then click Deploy.

10) Except for any remaining issues, like getting SKSE or F4SE and other tools working - you are done. Run the game.

When you say "Stop" you mean close? Sorry my inner SysAdmin is coming out that deals with services, processes etc.
Assuming so, these steps seem simple, however they are not following the guidelines mentioned on the Vortex installation/download page regarding "Deactivating..." etc. < Is this step not needed?

My question also. Do you mean, exit out of, when you say "stop". What do you mean by "game directory"? I always thought your game directory was Steam/steamapps/common/etc. What exactly does your NMM game directory comprise of? Should you delete C:/Games/Nexus Mod Manager/your games? At what point should you uninstall NMM?

I have a feeling you are going to have to make another stab at your stab.

Pretty sure that "Stop" in all those cases means exit the program.

Game directory means exactly that, the folder where the game is installed, i.e. where Fallout4.exe is located.

Every mod manager will leave behind some files and some files are manually installed. You want to get rid of these files and return the install to before any changes were made. This would be a "vanilla" install. It's possible to continue without cleaning your game folder 100%, but if you have *any* issues, you won't know if it was because you left some random file behind or it's what you're working on.

I would only uninstall NMM and delete related folders once you are completely comfortable with using Vortex and never intend to go back. It won't hurt to leave it installed as long as you never start it again. Doing so could potentially screw up the Vortex file management. Too many cooks and all that jazz.

Got everything but the game directory. Do not believe when he talked about reinstalling the game directory from scratch he meant completely uninstalling your game. Maybe he meant reinstalling NMM.

Anyway I will wait until Vortex comes out in Beta as I have six games mostly managed by NMM. While I have used different mod managers to manage different games in the past I find it a nuisance, probably sheer laziness, and just use NMM now.