CPU Stand Suggestions for Monster Sized Towers?

Hurray, I'm FINALLY getting a new desk! Trouble is, the blasted thing doesn't have a bottom to rest my CPU tower on like the old one did (but it DOES have a cupholder, so I'd call it a fair trade!). I can't just leave the poor thing sitting on the carpet (heard one too many horror stories), so I'm looking for a stand and stick it next to the desk. I had hoped to find a shelf or base of some sorts, preferably one with wheels so I can move it around and get to the cables easier, but I'm having trouble finding something to properly handle my rig. I use THIS case, and you can see she's pretty bulky. The tower is 18.9 x 9.25 x 19.7 inches according to the webpage, which I'll take at its word, as I sadly don't own a measuring tape. She's also got the heft to match, though I don't have the exact numbers for how much the completed unit weighs....let's just say that getting it up the stairs to my apartment is a bit of an ordeal (and just a tad terror-inducing).

So far, searches online for "CPU stands" have turned up a few promising results, but a little digging revealed a LOT of complaints from unhappy customers. Too small, too frail, missing parts, blocked ventilation, etc. Even the supposed "best" options websites have suggested just barely hit four stars on Amazon, and the sheer number of complaints listed on them has kept me from just picking one and ordering it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm sure there are a lot of people on this site with some pretty MONSTROUS rigs, ones that make mine look feeble in comparison! I'm guessing more than a few of you have had similar experiences with this issue, and I'd love to hear what solutions you found. Thanks for any suggestions you have to offer.! ( ;

Make one yourself or get someone to make one.

A sturdy plank and four good quality wheels is all you need.

Also a CPU is the processor nowadays so CPU stands might not be the best search term.

Or you could go to a hardware store and buy a furniture transporter.

https://www.karwei.nl/assortiment/handson-meubeltransporter-multiplex-56x30-cm-met-harde-wielen-en-anti-slip-max-200-kg/p/B522598

I know its in Dutch but you get the idea.

Edited by Erik005

Hurray, I'm FINALLY getting a new desk! Trouble is, the blasted thing doesn't have a bottom to rest my CPU tower on like the old one did (but it DOES have a cupholder, so I'd call it a fair trade!). I can't just leave the poor thing sitting on the carpet...

So far, searches online for "CPU stands" have turned up a few promising results, but a little digging revealed a LOT of complaints from unhappy customers.

That thing is called a PC, not a CPU. The CPU is just the little chip inside. That might interfere with your searches.

On the carpet is not a great place for the PC, though, because carpet fibers are very good at blocking ventilation flow. Like said above, a computer caddy should be what you need.

Your case is actually not that large... try taking a full tower case with 10 PCI slots (clearance for that 3rd GPU), 20 kilos empty, fitting those GPU, filling it with hard drives, and adding water cooling. Now that makes for a heavy PC.

I have a CoolerMaster Cosmos II Ultra case. Comes in at around 60kg/132lbs with all the gear inside. It's sitting right next to me on my desk. That I have a large corner desk (200cm on 180cm, 80cm deep) is handy, of course.

Letting a PC sit on the carpet isn't the best of ideas for static reasons. Carpets are usually made of synthetic fibres that can generate static electricity from spinning fans. Then there's dust that floats around just above floor level when walking about.

Get four cart wheels, seventeen screws (for when you lose one), and a plank at a do-it-yourself store. Cheap, easy to assemble, easy to carry home, easy to move when finished with the PC on it.

Letting a PC sit on the carpet isn't the best of ideas for static reasons. Carpets are usually made of synthetic fibres that can generate static electricity from spinning fans. Then there's dust that floats around just above floor level when walking about.

Good advice imo, although the only things worse than synthetic carpets for static electricity are wool ones. :)

If you'd rather not add height to an already tall computer, get one of these or make your own for even less:

https://www.amazon.com/Velleman-AS4-Anti-Static-Ground-Cable/dp/B001IRVCJC

Industrial ESD mats include overvoltage protection and cost several times more, but they're a very good idea if your circuit is not already surge protected. Even these cheap ones will handle static electricity just fine.

Try searching for "computer caddy" instead of computer stand. Amazon has lots of good ones according to reviews.

Thanks! That one did it. ( ; Sorry, typed a thank-you message a while back, looks like it may not have gone through. I've now got a spiffy new caddy on wheels thanks to you, without breaking my budget! We'll see how it fits once I get my stuff back to my place. Thanks again for the assist! ^_^

That thing is called a PC, not a CPU. The CPU is just the little chip inside. That might interfere with your searches.

On the carpet is not a great place for the PC, though, because carpet fibers are very good at blocking ventilation flow. Like said above, a computer caddy should be what you need.

Your case is actually not that large... try taking a full tower case with 10 PCI slots (clearance for that 3rd GPU), 20 kilos empty, fitting those GPU, filling it with hard drives, and adding water cooling. Now that makes for a heavy PC.

Whoops! Can you believe I'm ACTUALLY taking a computer course right now?! It's MIND-BOGGLINGLY difficult to find College computer courses that focus on the HARDWARE aspect of things. You'll find a dozen different classed on how to use Microsoft Word, but so far ZERO pings on classes that teach even the most basic of computer hardware!