How do I fix broken quests?!? Maybe with the Console? (SPOILERS)

mensch8maschine

Hello guys!

By now I have FOUR quests that I can't continue becaus some part of the next stage simply isnt triggered:

1) Companion quest "Silver Hand": I go to Skjor, he tells me to meet him at night in front of the Companion catacombs (where I will become a werewolf).... but he never shows! Instead, after I talked to him and started the quest, he simply stands around in the Companions Hall doing nothing, not even walking around.

2) "The Cursed Tribe": I'm supposed to help the Clan Chief Yamarz kill a giant and get its weapon to appease their God, Malacath. Basically I follow him through several caves until we arrive at the final stage where we should fight the giant... and Yamarz simply vanished! (this is doubly frustrating bc i cant leave the bloody cave)

3) Thief Quest: In Riften I must plant a stolen gem in some guys house. I plant the gem but the quest doesnt get updated accordingly.

4) Whiterun quest: a fugitive Redguard woman. I'm to talk to an imprisoned redguard and pay his fine in order to get some info. I pay a guard, but he never gives me the option to free the prisoner, and the quest ist stuck.

What I tried to solve this:

1) no clue what to do

2) "player.moveto 0003BC26" (the npc_id of Yamarz), console didnt recognize his id

"resurrect 0003BC26" same problem

(where do I find npc IDs?)

3) no clue what to do

4) choose a different path, instead of helping the refugee i ratted her out to the people who pursue her. I havent finished the quest yet so I dont know if this'll help

EDIT: chose the alternative solution to the redguard quest and finished it that way.

Edited by mensch8maschine

Every quest in Skyrim can be found here http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim

The articles will tell you about bugs and how to advance quests using the console and pretty much everything you want or need to know about the game including how to use the console.

I advise caution in using the console as the console is not made as a cheat system, a fast travel system, a reward system or a means to get things. Its a last resort when nothing else fixes a glitch or bug, and then it should be used sparingly.

Read the quest information before just jumping to the console to fix every little thing as well.

For example - The Silver Hand quest you say is bugged. Skjor goes to the cave AFTER 10 pm, not before, and not immediately after telling you to meet him. Is the quest bugged or have you tried to do something, such as stand at the door for hours waiting?

I will also tell you the console is bugged and there are a number of commands that can cause huge problems. For example, TCL will turn collision off, but you may not be able to turn it back on. There are other commands that are bugged as well, so use them at your own risk.

Good Luck!

Hi Tidus44!

thanks for the reply. The companion quest is actually the most intruiging for me for obvious reasons ;)

I waited several times, all thru the night, Skjor didnt show.

I used <setstage C03 15> to move to the next phase of Silver Hand without Skjor present, entered the underforge with Aela as an unresponsive werewolf and again NO Skjor. I used >player.placeatme [skjor npc id] in the underforge and he showed up, but i couldnt interact with him to finish the quest.

I think my Skjor is seriously bugged! (And Aela too, probably... :(

How can I fix them?

btw, heres some of the stuff the console tells me when using "help":

When you spoke to Skjor, did you get a journal entry that says to meet him at night? You may have advanced too far (stage 15) and may have only required stage 10.

Faced with a glitched quest, my first option is to see where I am and if I have done anything critical to killing the quest. It doesn't sound like it for this companions quest, so my first attempt would be to go to an earlier save before talking to Skjor and try again.

Which reminds me, did you fully complete the prerequisite quests - there are two that must be completed to fully trigger the Silver Hand quest - to get the journal entry to go talk to Skjor?

If the earlier save did not trigger the quest, then the first console command I would use is sqs <questid> to see where I am in the quest and if I have achieved the required stage.

I would use the console to advance to the quest stage that I need to advance to - in this case it sounds like its stage 10.

If that didn't work, then try the next stage (ie: 15).

Still no joy, then reset the quest. On a quest reset, you have to exit the game and restart the game to get the quest to fully reset.

If there is still no fix, then something is stopping the quest from advancing - and that could be extremely difficult to find.

I can only trigger Silver Hand as the next quest. When talking to any companions they all send me to Skjor, so i guess i did all the prereq and radiant quests.

Going back to an earlier save is not an option, i wanted to become a werewolf at a higher lvl and waited for quite some time before starting this quest... i've easily advanced 20 lvls since then!

Stage 10 (talk to Skjor for new quest) was triggered correctly, stage 15 (follow skjor to underforge) wont trigger, skjor doesnt show up. When i "setstage" it i can enter the underforge, but skjor doesnt follow me in.

At least I found a small workaround to make Skjor show up byI "player.placeatme"-ing him. He then mentions "we have to wait for aela" correctly (so that at least solves half the problem), but aela doesnt show, and when i "player.placeatme" her she does not react accordingly to continue the quest and enter the underforge. oh yeah, and she is naked too!

Btw, using "help aela" in the console gives me an NPC ID, however i dont know whether its the the Ref ID or the Base ID, and does it make a difference which i use?

What about all those QUST thingys I got via "help aela" (see screenshots), they seem to be part of some quests she is involved in, any way to activate on of them? maybe i'll find a solution thru trial and error.

oh, and finally, how do i reset a quest?

EDIT: just watched a walkthrough on youtube, apparently aela doesnt show, so its all Skjor again...

Edited by mensch8maschine

• 5 months later...

Hello!

I am also having this exact problem. I've dabbled with trying to circumvent the quest via console, but to no avail. Using <help silver> and <help hand> did not provide me with sufficient quest id codes (most of them were either dialogue or irrelevant to this quest). I am currently running the latest 1.8.151 beta along with the latest SKSE, and this is still a problem. I've disabled ALL mods and re-installed skyrim with an earlier update, with no luck.

If there is any advice you could offer, it would be much appriciated.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...