Unfortunately I haven't been able to find an answer to this question.

What's happening is I'm writing a dialogue, and during the NPC's greeting they will randomly fall to the ground like an essential NPC would if they lost all health. However, they are not being harmed and their health is still full.

What is going on??

Dialogue not interesting enough, NPC swooned to ground with boredom? :-P

Just kidding. That sounds odd. Are you making a new mod?

HAHA! Yes, I've built a room and there is nothing on the floor but debris. (flat decals)

He will do the greeting (there is no voice yet) and somewhere during it he falls and waits a few seconds before getting up and doing it again. I've tried starting a new game, saving, attacking him (he's essential) and re-adding him into the level via the creation kit, then loading a previous save/new game and it still happens. I'm pretty stumped and rather frustrated.

Is the room you built navmeshed? Including the place where the NPC is standing? (probably a silly question but I really can't think of anything that would cause something like this!)

Try to remove 'essential' flag. If he dies during this conversation, I bet it might be because you're playing some idle animation on him during his speech, that ends with killing the actor. I've stumbled upon such anim once, there's seems to be a buggy one, though an idle itself looked pretty harmless (not a killmove).