Replacing text with in a message box owned by a quest.

silhouett

I have a message box Id like to get the actors name from the Alias and put it in the message text or title

I have see various <Alias > examples ect but do not seem to get anything. In Fact anything within < > doesnt show up at all including the greater than and less than signs. Regular text I type shows up fine. Can someone tell me what I must set on the quest Alias and what actual symbol text I need to place in the message box ?

Edited by silhouett

While I may not have a lot of knowledge on Fallout 4 directly, I can offer an idea of a workaround or two.

1. Since you can get the actors name, can you stick that in a standard text field that can be gone through letter by letter. If so, you can run a quick set of code to extract the name itself without the extra characters. Example: the name you get is <Strong>, then you can look for those extra characters (the < and >) and put all but those in the filtered name field. Then that filtered name can be added to your box.

2. It may be that Fallout 4 uses unicode for symbol characters, again I don't have all the details, but if you have access to the game files, check how a normal known quest puts things in a box like what you want. Once you find one, use that as a template for your box.

Hope that helps.

The quest alias must have Stores Text checked (look at Followers quest Companion)

The message form must have the Owner quest dropdown set (Followers) so it knows where to look.

If you put the quest alias name in the message text it will display your current companion name:

Companion is <Alias=Companion>