fallout NV sudden missing texture?

kevein

Hi all,

As the title mentioned, my game was experiencing missing texture. The phenomenon could occur suddenly i.e. travelling in the wasteland and sudden loss of ground texture.(transparent ground) Follows by ctd. I am also experiencing freezes/ctds on fast travels or changing cells.

I have already patched the game with the 4gb patch and the only major mod I am currently using is the tale of two wastelands. I also disabled all the vanilla autosave options.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by kevein

Two things come to mind as possibilities regarding the "missing textures" suddenly occurring: "too many active plugins" (the nominal range of 130-140 varies by system and mod mix); and problems with the video pipeline. The latter can come about if you have installed many large (greater than 2048x2048 pixels) textures.
Image size matters. A 4096 x 4096 image with 16 bit color resolution is 32 MB of data. If your screen is displaying 100 different models with textures that size, that's 3.2 GB of data just for the textures. Since a 32 bit program can only address up to 4 GB of data in total, you can see how trying to display a lot of high resolution models is going to run the game out of memory very quickly. (Thank you for the perspective madmongo.) Now, VRAM is not directly addressed by the program; it's controlled by the video card and can hide the actual addressing from the program, but you get the idea.

Another thing to consider is that larger images take longer to pass through the video pipeline. When such larger sizes were not considered in the game design (and they weren't at the time), bottlenecks are to be expected.
As for your freezes/CTDs: Please see 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.
If that is not sufficient to resolve your problems, Please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as NVSE and it's related plugins, texture replacements (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX.
-Dubious-

@Dubious

Many thanks for your reply!

I have resolved the texture issue but the ctd/freezes issue still remain.

I had around 50 active plugins so I don't think the number of plugins was the cause. I applied the solution on the wiki but sadly that did not resolve the issue. I then deactivated majority of the mods to check if the problem was caused by mod conflicts. However, the issue still persists. I am planning to reinstall the game to see if it can resolve the issue...unless there is a better suggestion?

The vast majority of CTDs (lately) are due to either not increasing the "heap size" ( 'Checklist Item #4' entry) or not setting the NVSR INI file "Master" section to bHookCriticalSections= 0 ('Issue: Recent (post-Win10 FCU) CTDs after 10-20 minutes of play'). Both are covered in the same "Troubleshooting" guide linked in my previous post. (I think I should move both of them to the "CTD" section instead. But I'll wait until you have had a chance to find them first.) Give them a try before re-installing (unless you installed to "C:\Program files". In that case, re-install anyway, but Please see the 'Game INI files', and 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' entries in the 'First Timer Advice' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.).

-Dubious-

Hello Dubious,

I just reinstalled new vegas and I applied the adjustments you mentioned in the NVSR INI file. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the similar issue and I recently encountered a c++ runtime error when the game tries to change cell. I also notice permanent freezes can occur during combat while changing weapon. I am going to start a new game to see if the corrupted save file was the cause of the issue.

Edited by kevein