Transparent Activators.

EPDGaffney

Anyone know how the engine handles this so that I don't have to test with a load of useless models and textures? I want the player to have an activation prompt based on my scripting conditions, not proximity to an activator. I thought that making an invisible activator would do it. It doesn't. Collision doesn't seem to dictate anything, either. Maybe if the mesh is within the collision, it works? I believe I've tried in the past with no textures or a transparent one. I may try that again. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try varying levels of transparency and hope that the player can't see it once it works, if it works.

I use some invisible activators in a mod of mine ... this https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/22319

This is the base ID for one of them ... "ZzWcellBathLightTrig" err atleast I think that is the base ID for that file , not sure because I was just looking at my next edition vs.

But they should be pretty easy to locate in the object tree under Activators ... with a zz prefix or just filter with "Wcell"

And the assets are located in "Meshes/InvisTriggers" of the loose folders.

Which you should be able to drop them in your FNV Data loose folders ... if you don't have Fallout 3 to look at them.

I didn't make them , so am not really sure how they are created (with blender I think)

Feel free to use em to test out and or load em in blender / nifskope to see how they are made.

But I imagine Marthgun wouldn't mind you using them for a published mod with a credit mention o_O

I think the only manipulation in their size you can do , is just scaling the reference.

So if those dimensions don't work for ya ... will have to blenderize up something.

I got it working. You need the mesh to be there but not the texture. Activators require the collision and the mesh to be under the reticle to be activated, but the texture apparently doesn't need to be visible.

Was that an invisible texture or the 'null texture set'? I've had the Null texture set not work for manual activation, but a fully transparent texture did work. As you pointed out, it needed both collision and (what would be, without the transparent texture) the visible part of the mesh in the crosshair.

It's the null texture set. I'm having a problem making it do what I want, but it's probably just another weird engine quirk where something always works unless this hair is out of place or whatever. But it does show the prompt and it blinks and plays the sound when I press E. You meant something else I imagine.

Come to think of it, it did play the sound it was supposed to play OnActivate, and it flipped the variable. For whatever reason, it's not opening this door it's supposed to open. Know anything about that?

Edit: Never mind, it was a script error. I think. I edited the script thinking it was that (forgot IsActionRef Player and removed an IsSoundPLaying check), changed it over to a Door instead of an Activator, to get the prompts like [REQUIRES KEY] and such, then it still didn't work, and then I noticed the script was malconstructed (misplaced bDoOnce check), and fixed it. I may have introduced the problem in the previous edit, meaning it may never have worked as an Activator form, but I don't know for sure. Occam's razor tells me the bDoOnce check was always misplaced and that was the trouble.

Edited by EPDGaffney