oldrim vs sse

wolfhorse60

So now that im back in the pc gaming fold , I have a question.Why am i playing sse instead of oldrim.I mean SSE just has better graphics and cant I just mod up the oldrim graphics and have the same game? Plus it seems like 99% of the mods for SSE are ports from oldrim which for the most part , aren't supported anymore. So wouldn't I have more fun playing oldrim with ALL the available mods that are available, rather than playing SSE with the few mods that are available and usually have some sort of bug that i cant get support for? Plus cant i play oldrim w/o steam?

Thanks

I have essentially abandoned LE for SSE for one word: stability.

In LE I could have one, maybe two quest mods, as long as they weren't large ones. SMIM+SFO+RWT+body mods+Skyrim2K+ENB and that was pretty much it as far as graphics went, unless I didn't mind crashing after 20mins. In SSE? I have 23 quest mods, SMIM+SFO+RWT+Veydosebrom+body mods+High Poly Project+TR Landscapes+Rustic series+Paradise Cities+PCE+ENB, and a very, very stable game I can play for hours. I can't even really think of any mods that SSE has that I miss from LE, other than maybe a follower/quest mod or two.

I run them both. However, SSE is the better of the two. I have to make oldrim stable. SSE is stable out of the box and can be pushed 100 times further than oldrim. You can go on youtube and see side by side comparisons on what happens when you 100s npcs in a battle or blowup 100s objects sending them flying.

Plus nearly 90% mods can be easily converter to SSE just by opening it in creation kit and saving or running the models through SSE Nif optimizer.

Even though there are less mods for SSE than oldrim there are still more mods than anyone could possibly play. I have close to 190 mods on SSE with maybe 100 hours of extra quests split between maybe five mods. I have maybe 20 or so armor and weapon mods that add hundreds of weapons and armors. I also download something new almost every day. For example today I downloaded a mod that allows for player only animations, 3 different armors, and immersive mage tower. Unless you play skyrim 24 hours a day it is literally impossible to run out of new stuff try in SSE. Even then I doubt it is possible without cheating to see the new content.

Oldrim is good if the mod doesn't exist in SSE and I'm to lazy to take a few minutes to convert it. Also most of the perverted mods haven't been ported to SSE yet. I spend a lot of time on lovers lab.

What Jeir and Baron Of Hell said. I'll just add that SKSE 64-bit and SkyUI are now available for SSE. (Both are in late alpha and work very well -most bugs have been corrected.) Mod authors have already ported many of their mods that rely on MCM memus and there are many more coming. Eight months ago I would have advocated sticking with LE because of the relative scarcity of mods for SSE. But that simply isn't the case anymore.

The only fly in the ointment is all the updates Bethesda pushes through (mainly due to Creation Club additions.) This sometimes (though not always) "breaks" SKSE's ability to hook into your game and function correctly. The Silverlock team is pretty quick about pushing out an updated version when that happens, but it can be occasionally annoying as you either have to wait for the SKSE update or roll-back your Skyrim installation to just before the Bethesda update.

Just a detail : Concerning mod quest, the Beyond Skyrim Project will be (when the time comes) full released only on SSE (due to stability and the x64 bits) in contrary to Oldrim. It's (for my point of view) a big point about switching to SSE. Imagine the new possibilites about having Cyrodill as a map for some new mods or High Rock, Black Marsh, Morrowind, Hammerfell, Elsweyr, Atmora, Roscrea. There is actually more than 50K+ mods (approximately) only for the map of Skyrim, it could be endless.

Edited by Alerios

I run them both. However, SSE is the better of the two. I have to make oldrim stable. SSE is stable out of the box and can be pushed 100 times further than oldrim. You can go on youtube and see side by side comparisons on what happens when you 100s npcs in a battle or blowup 100s objects sending them flying.

Plus nearly 90% mods can be easily converter to SSE just by opening it in creation kit and saving or running the models through SSE Nif optimizer.

Even though there are less mods for SSE than oldrim there are still more mods than anyone could possibly play. I have close to 190 mods on SSE with maybe 100 hours of extra quests split between maybe five mods. I have maybe 20 or so armor and weapon mods that add hundreds of weapons and armors. I also download something new almost every day. For example today I downloaded a mod that allows for player only animations, 3 different armors, and immersive mage tower. Unless you play skyrim 24 hours a day it is literally impossible to run out of new stuff try in SSE. Even then I doubt it is possible without cheating to see the new content.

Oldrim is good if the mod doesn't exist in SSE and I'm to lazy to take a few minutes to convert it. Also most of the perverted mods haven't been ported to SSE yet. I spend a lot of time on lovers lab.

This is sadly not the full story. Each mod, providing a own skse dll plugin has to be updated also. So this increase the amount of dependencies. And not all of such dlls are updated, in near time or ever.

This is no fault of SSE, it is the Problem of effort and popularity and freshness of a game. And for shure, a game which get no updates anymore, will not have this problem, work which was done will last forever, no updates needed.

So you can build your setup only with things that are stable, or rely on accurate updates. Otherwise you have to face with missing dependencies after each upgrade. Most popular example is all the things around racemenu, but not the only one. Additional some of ported functions missing, and will maybe never fixed. Even there is no working blender nif plugin for SE until now.

To be clear: All this work from countless moddes, is on a free base in their spare time, so we have to be thankfull for every mod we received. Demanding updates for the future is no option.

SSE is the way forward from here. Most mods will be ported over, it's only a matter of time, considering the SKSE team have cracked how to get SKSE working with SSE.

I don't miss Oldrim crashing left, right and centre after so many hours or having to limit how many mods were installed at one time. It was beginning to be a bit long in the tooth tinkering with SKSE's memory settings constantly.

For what it is worth, Bchick3 is making a valiant effort to port as many of the mannequin-like followers from Oldrim as possible. Even Skyrim's best quest mod Interesting NPCs had been ported over to SSE and can be found at 3DNPC.com.