oldrim vs sse

wolfhorse60

SE allowed me to reach Skyrim nirvana and I don't think I'll ever go back! :dance:

My goal has always been to have a stable, high fps, graphically beautiful Skyrim with all the Mods I want for a given playthrough. I've worked with LE for years and was never able to "get it all". Although SE required a graphics card upgrade for my rig, the results are worth every penny. With SE, I just set up my mods and play. Simple, easy and no worries. Goal accomplished!

Pretty sure the 64 bit part of SE is just a bandaid for all the problems you had with mods in LE. My garbage can laptop would have the same problems if I took all the mods I wanted.

Edited by Rasikko

Did you know that crank starters for automobiles gave you an amazing set of exercise options over those second edition electronic ignitions?

What on earth does that have to do with anything?

Soupdragon, think of it as an analogy. If you substitute Oldrim for the crank starter and Skyrim SE for the electronic ignition it might make more sense. The "amazing set of exercise options" was basically a joke. Nobody really wants to get out and crank start their car for exercise - this related back to previous posters trying to come up with reasons why they prefer the LE version.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Moksha8088

• 1 month later...

Just a detail : Concerning mod quest, the Beyond Skyrim Project will be (when the time comes) full released only on SSE (due to stability and the x64 bits) in contrary to Oldrim. It's (for my point of view) a big point about switching to SSE. Imagine the new possibilites about having Cyrodill as a map for some new mods or High Rock, Black Marsh, Morrowind, Hammerfell, Elsweyr, Atmora, Roscrea. There is actually more than 50K+ mods (approximately) only for the map of Skyrim, it could be endless.

My LE is very stable not crash at all. Lot of poeple doesn't know ho to mod, but for now, i still on LE because too much modds were not ported.

SSE is more stable. lt's already optimized for PC so no need to fiddle around with ENBoost, StableUGrids, Memory Uncapper, etc. That was the biggest selling point for me. The frequency of ctds or freezes that I've experienced with SSE is only a minute fraction of what I suffered through with Oldrim, and most of those are likely just load order or incompatibility issues.

Most of the big-name mods have been officially ported over to Special Edition and many of the ones that haven't are easy enough for end-users to convert.

Although I'm still waiting for kryptopyr to get around to porting CACO...

For a bit I wondered why this topic was so small and was missing my post. But then I realized I'd posted on this topic on another skyrim forum that is usually less active, but for this topic is more active...

My comment:

It's kind of a frustration for me that this situation still exists even years after SSE came out.

Not because of various preferences. I have no statement there as I don't even own Oldrim so I can't make a judgement call.

Rather because I don't Oldrim, and the reason I don't own it. I just bought skyrim around the end of June, 2018. At the time I had no idea it had various versions, I'd heard of the game for years but I've managed to avoid single player games since the end of the 1990s / early 00s. Sims 2 was my last single player game - though I only played abut 15 minutes into install.

So when I finally decided I wanted to try out this thing I'd heard about for years... I went to bethesda's website and it told me I had to get Steam... I got that, and I went looking, and only SSE was up for sale. I looked into why this was called 'special edition' and where 'regular might be just in case it was cheaper and had or lacked some DLC or well... what was up... and found out I couldn't find it for sale anywhere where I was sure my install key would actually work...

So... yes Skyrim is old and people like me are probably pretty rare now... being a 'brand spanking noob'...

- But the community division frustrates me because anytime I see something that is Oldrim only... I'm cut off from it. I can't even make the choice to go try it out. If it's a simple mod I can try converting it on my own. That sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I've actually learned a lot more than a player only one month into a new game should know as a result of trying to get things working 'on my own' that weren't there for me in the game I was able to buy. Even my failures in porting have taught me a lot of tricks (and I hope to be uploading some mods of my own soon as a result - but don't get mad when they're SSE only, I don't have the ability to back-port them).

I kind of wish everyone had just 'moved on to SSE' when it came out - but I get that if for no other reason mods not being cross-compatible "out of the box" stalled that process enough that other reasons also developed for people. But it means I'm 'partly out of the loop' until the day we "mostly" move on to TES6.

So... Why I play SSE and ignore Oldrim? Because that's the only choice Steam gave me when I finally showed up in ya'lls yard.

They are all up for sale on Steam, just that their pages are hidden from searches, and you can only get their links from people who own the old game/DLCs. Since I never bought LE, I have no link to it, just the links to all the seperate DLC and main game. I got SE for free because it was a thing Bethesda had going that you can get it for free in the first I think 48 hours of SE's release, if you already own the original.

Original Skyrim: https://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/

Original Dawnguard: https://store.steampowered.com/app/211720/

Original Dragonborn: https://store.steampowered.com/app/226880/

Sometimes you have to reload them to bring up the right page since sometimes it'll Skyrim's page shows up.

Why Bethesda or Valve thought this was a good idea I have no idea.

As for my stance on the whole thing, it's changed. I've since moved to SE because the modding scene is shifting towards it more, now that SKSE64 is out of alpha and most things that were previously only possible on Oldrim are now possible on SE.

Edited by Rasikko

• 2 years later...

I have been using LE since I bought Skyrim back in 2018. But it feels unstable and it crashes a lot. It wasn't a problem before as I was using an old potato to run the game. Now I have a proper gaming PC I can add a lot more mods than before and as result the LE version just crashes randomly for no reason. I have heard that the SSE is much more stable, using the 64-bit engine and allowing more mods and better memory management.

That being said, I do use a lot of mods and most of them have been ported over to SSE, but others...perhaps they are obsolete. Before I was reticent to buy the SSE version because LE worked fine, but after reading your posts and having constant instabilities, I think I'm going to bute the bullet and try it.

Also, just one thing. It still has the ability to legendary your perks and there's no "hard" limit to levelling up?

I have been using LE since I bought Skyrim back in 2018. But it feels unstable and it crashes a lot. It wasn't a problem before as I was using an old potato to run the game. Now I have a proper gaming PC I can add a lot more mods than before and as result the LE version just crashes randomly for no reason. I have heard that the SSE is much more stable, using the 64-bit engine and allowing more mods and better memory management. That being said, I do use a lot of mods and most of them have been ported over to SSE, but others...perhaps they are obsolete. Before I was reticent to buy the SSE version because LE worked fine, but after reading your posts and having constant instabilities, I think I'm going to bute the bullet and try it. Also, just one thing. It still has the ability to legendary your perks and there's no "hard" limit to levelling up?

Yes, it does.