Mod category amnagement?

I must be an idiot or something, I don't see how I can change a mod archive category like we can do back in NMM...

Or is this feature isn't available yet?

Category management is among the best feature in NMM and it would be terrible not to have it...

I manually imported all my mod archieve, over 400 of them into Vortex.

Currently just kinda confused there is no way I can manage this large list efficiently.

The list is so long and hard to be managed, way longer than NMM obviously, due to the bulkier UI - this isn't a good thing really.

Also no key-press jumping, eg: press [v] to jump to mod starting with [v] as of now.

Did I missed something?

//--

The "Import from NMM" feature seems to be importing active mods only. Anything else are ignored.

This is kinda unfortunate as my mods in NMM are managed in custom categories...

If the import function can import not-installed mods complete with custom categories that would be great...

Edited by Guest

Double click on a Mod and the mod details panel will open on the right. You can edit a mods details here, including category.

You can use the filters to limit which mods you see in the list. Type a few letters into the Name filter and you should be able to get the list small enough to find the mod you are looking for. For me, it allows me to get right to the mod I want without any scrolling or searching.

I'm pretty sure Vortex only imports active mods because it can't get the information it needs from inactive/uninstalled mods. This is just a guess, but I'm sure Tannin will chime in with a more detailed explanation if I am wrong.

It is indeed currently not possible to modify details on archives. The idea was that archives would represent the (read-only) information of a mod as the mod author provides it whereas the installed mod (disabled or enabled) represents your customisation where you can adjust everything.

The import feature only importing active mods is also intentional, I'd have to look into it to see if this can be changed (the nmm import was developed by DuskDweller initially).

Importing custom categories is a sensible request as well.

I'd prefer if you'd send these requests through the feedback form inside vortex, that is easier to keep track of than a forum thread (and please send one feedback per change request, not all in one).

Double click on a Mod and the mod details panel will open on the right. You can edit a mods details here, including category.

You can use the filters to limit which mods you see in the list. Type a few letters into the Name filter and you should be able to get the list small enough to find the mod you are looking for. For me, it allows me to get right to the mod I want without any scrolling or searching.

I'm pretty sure Vortex only imports active mods because it can't get the information it needs from inactive/uninstalled mods. This is just a guess, but I'm sure Tannin will chime in with a more detailed explanation if I am wrong.

I see the double click menu, unfortunately it doesn't seems to do anything, nor the typed text appear under Category column.

Filter? I afraid I do not see that - I'm using the version available on Nexus. Are you describing functionalities that not available in those versions?

If you don't see anything on the mod details pane, then Vortex wasn't able to get the mod id automatically.

First, make sure that you're on the "Mods" tab (not Downloads, not Plugins).

And the mod has to be installed!

If that's done, you can set the details (it's not possible to change the details on uninstalled mods, because they're just an archive). If Vortex didn't get the details itself, you can fix that quite easily:

- In the select-box "Source" select "Nexus Mods" (the only choice right now)

- The field "Nexus Mod ID" appears. In most cases, there'll be a button to the right of the field, which you can click and Nexus will try to get the Mod ID from the file name. If that doesn't work, you've got to enter the mod id manually. The mod ID is the last part on each mod's URL. For example, the mod "Outlaws and Revolutions" has the URL "https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10991" and the id is therefor 10991. Usually, the id is also part of the archive file, that's how Vortex can "guess" it in most cases.

After you enter these two things, Vortex will get everything else automatically from Nexus.

Filters are only available if you turn on the "advanced mode" in the settings. If you have that enabled, you can enter filters for mods (or anything else) in the headline of the table. Like for the name, categories, status etc.. If you're using that and don't find a mod anymore, just make sure that you don't have a filter active by accident.

After you enter these two things, Vortex will get everything else automatically from Nexus.

Well that is simply not true, because Vortex will only fetch the description page and nothing else, not the category, not the author, not the version (which is most important). Since this is a common problem currently, which makes basically all importing redundant and as well makes the version checks and mod sorting options obsolete on big load orders with more than 150 mods, there should be a new button to update or fetch missing meta data on the installed mods. Beside of overhauling the category system, to give it another view, which can be easier managed and overlooked, because sorting on category isn't enough.

So I refer my post here again, where i already addressed this problem 2 weeks ago: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6590606-missing-metadata-after-importing-from-nmm-cant-fetch-them-automatically/

Edited by Kongolan

Filters are only available if you turn on the "advanced mode" in the settings.

OK I see it now thx.

Unfortunately setting page glitch to white screen a short moment after open, can't dig much else in there.

The category management currently, is horrendous.

Only able to set category on an installed mod - and when you uninstall it - the category is GONE!

If NMM can do it right in this matter, I don't see why it's successor can't.

Hopefully this got remedied in the future, as it stands now there is simply no way I can test this software with such category behavior.

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does category management help Vortex with managing load orders in any way, or are they purely esthetic?

Load order management and category management have nothing to do with one another. However, category management is not purely aesthetic. There are a number of utilitarian uses.