CTD when entering combat/triggering aggro

pinkfloyd18

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask.

I get an instant CTD (no freezing before) whenever I trigger aggro in any way (attacking/walking by wolves, bandits etc.). After doing a clean reinstall of my game I installed the mods one by one and checked after which one I get the crash. And it was after installing FNIS (yes, I ran Update FNIS Behaviour after installing it). My attack animation with a bow for example works fine and I get the CTD the moment the arrow hits and whatever I attacked changes their behaviour to aggressive towards me.

My load order in NMM:

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1
SkyUI_SE.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
FNIS.esp=1 (it's obviously the version for Skyrim SE)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This appears to be an issue with SKSE64. Move hudextension.dll to the Data\interface folder instead of leaving it in Data\SKSE\Plugins folder. Took me hours searching the net to figure this out from an obscure reddit thread comment. (https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/88xj15/pc_sse_help_ctd_when_entering_combat/e0dir91) The comment isn't super clear, but mentions both the SKSE and interface folders. That along with the earlier comments on the thread about the issue being with hudextension.dll lead me to try moving it to the interface folder; after which my CTD on combat stopped happening.

Edited by dragnierdraconai

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This appears to be an issue with SKSE64. Move hudextension.dll to the Data\interface folder instead of leaving it in Data\SKSE\Plugins folder. Took me hours searching the net to figure this out from an obscure reddit thread comment. (https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/88xj15/pc_sse_help_ctd_when_entering_combat/e0dir91) The comment isn't super clear, but mentions both the SKSE and interface folders. That along with the earlier comments on the thread about the issue being with hudextension.dll lead me to try moving it to the interface folder; after which my CTD on combat stopped happening.

gods above, what a stupidly specific bug. thanks a ton, however, you saved me from scrapping the entire install out of frustration

If you use Wrye bash it may also be a wrong tweak setting in tweaks. Having this setting "iMaxAttachedArrows" checked in your bashed patch will cause ctd'd in combat. In the bashed patch it will show up under game settings, iMaxAttachedArrows. Rebuild your bashed patch and remove it in the tweak settings and your ctd's will stop

• 5 months later...

In case other people are having an issue and tried everything else listed in this thread, this is the first time ive actually fixed a problem, though it was one of my own making lol.

So, i CTD everytime i get into battle, i thought lol. And keep in mind, this is off a fresh save, with the mods ive used for, well, a very long time. and its the save file i use to start the game in my playthrough every time, all my items are fully enchanted (better than end game end game stats but nothing game breaking like 0% magicka costs etc) and my character has a really unique story for having them, and before people say i kinda cheated early on for that; hear me out, i hate the "i got an item > i go disenchant / enchant new item > i found a new enchantment i like > repeat > i buy a bunch of soul gems > enchant items > sell items to make money > buy more stuff to enchant > now my enchanting is high so i want a new set of items to raise my combat potential > dumb" so i just start out with all my stuff, and scaled the game to be much harder in the beginning, and still challenging but not impossible at the end. i have a save file with all the enchantments done so i never have to worry about items again in the game, and so i can go and explore the world instead. and believe me, its far more fun to struggle through the game, so believe me when i say combat in my game is challenging. To keep the game style evolving, my combat goes:

Sniper Assassin (enemy at very long range/) > Conjuration(enemy at long range) > spell sword(enemy at medium range) > Conjuration(if summon died) > Sword and board(Melee range). My goodness i rambled on, sorry XD ... i was just so happy, cuz i literally just fixed this problem lol, was about to just give up on this game this year (during this Covid-19 shutdown no less!)

So me, like most people, probably started off as "sniper assassin"...

I would take my trusty old bow, line up a shot, and boom, ctd when the hit lands

i thought it was a CTD as soon as combat starts, but

i ended up going to fight this damn bandit from different angles trying to figure out whats going on

after CTD like 4 times with the bow, i decided to go in and melee him, no problem

i go on to fight the rest of the bandits, and i did see me get HIT with an arrow and CTD but i didnt think anything of it at the time, i thought it was a coincidence

so i replicated this a couple times and being really careful to not get hit at all, and no ctd, so i loaded the game and redid the fight over and over

sometimes it ctd, sometimes it didnt, it wasnt till this last time i was hit with an arrow i realized it was an arrow thing...

I literally saw the arrow come in and as it landed on me, ctd .................

so i disabled the only mod that i had that that was to do with arrows... and still ctd...

Then! i remember the only thing that i did with this save file that was new idea but with a mod ive used for like forever...

skytweak... if u use skytweak, do not set arrows sticking out of bodies to "0" ...

boom. that was it for me.

good luck out there!