No Beds Inside Castle?

SirGalahad

I disagree that Scrap Everything breaks the game; rather, the game is no damn fun without it. Bethesda did not give the scrapping system enough power, and Scrap Everything may be the only mod to properly address that situation.

And the little Building Placement Fix for Scrap Everything fixes the Castle, the Drive-In, and all the other places having problems. I would not play the game without Scrap Everything, or something very much like it.

Place Everywhere may also "fix" the building issues, but it does a lot of things I do not want in my game. Still, it becomes more difficult to justify not using Place Everywhere as I spend more time building. I am damn tired of not getting stairs to snap and all these various garbage buildings I cannot add to or build around.

The mod "Castle Walls Restored" is good for getting ride of the buildings issues, in this location.

Yeah, but I don't need the castle to be pristine, not really. I think the damage fits well into the lore, and the labor involved in fixing that sort of thing would take years, not seconds. I'm OK with ruined walls, so long as I can build in them.

Every mod can "break" a game. I use both "Scrap Everything" and "Place Everywhere" without any problems in any settlement in any given situation and I am surely not the only one .

In short, they don't break the game - at least not in general. However, I see a lot of people breaking their game saves by installing mods, playing (and saving) for a couple of hours, then removing those mods, because they don't like them and then continuing with their game in that state. Repeat that a couple of times and you might get nasty results, because once you install a mod, there is and never will be (on the contrary to what some people write here) no such thing as a "clean save".

Edited by metaphorset

I'm extremely careful which mods I use. I don't "test" them, but install them only when certain they'll improve the game.

Scrap Everything prevents building in a number of locations. There's no doubt about it. So it does "break" the game, even if there is a fix.

And it turns out that fix doesn't address the largest room under the screen at Starlight. It remains the case that build items will only sit in a small area to the rear of the room; otherwise, they fall through the floor or shoot to the ceiling. I don't mind, because I built an enormous living quarters by the projector, but . . . it shouldn't be broken, regardless.

Peace!

Edited by SirGalahad

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what you can do:

Go to the castle and make a save.

Now disable Scrap Everything.

Now reload that save and place all the beds you will ever want.

Make a new save at castle as soon as you are done and do not go anywhere.

Exit the game and reactivate Scrap Everything.

Load that castle save and now the beds should be there.

You should so this before you start to scrap a lot of junk in the castle or just do that scrapping over again.

As long as you did not change cells the other cells should not be affected.

I would try this on a very limited basis before you spend a lot of time with the beds and scrapping. If your game does not have issues, and unentered cells are not affected, you will be good to go.

Saving before tearing into a settlement is always the smart move!

A friend installed Place Everywhere and could vouch for its effectiveness, so I joined the team. Now, I would not play the game without it, as building is a completely tedious mess, otherwise. While you can rug and pillar-glitch things around, that's a waste of time a smart player avoids, if possible. Place Everywhere has sped up the construction of conduit systems and staircases. I can put foundations wherever the hell I want. After a couple weeks with this mod, I can say it is one of the most essential additions one can make to Fallout 4.

And it comes in handy when working at the Castle. No longer can that radio tower give me fits, because I can move it around and replace any part of it (although I think it's another mod that has the same shack roof with the antennae cutout).

Edited by SirGalahad

I've used Scrap Everything for a short while but after having tried Spring Cleaning I stuck to the latter because it has an esm and as such doesn't need moving/can't be moved around like sometimes needs to be done with SE because this or that mod requires SE to be loaded after it.

Never looked back.

As for adding beds in the castle goes: if they appear red and/or sink through the floor, add a carpet first and then add a bed on top of the carpet. Works like a charm :wink:

Also be aware that touching the radioman's chair (deleting it or even replacing it) will glitch the proper workings of the Minutemen radio transmitter as that radioman refuses to use a replacement chair and won't sit down again to use the transmitter.

@SirGalahad, the reason SE "breaks" things, is Bethesda is lazy, and didn't apply the "treat as ground" keyword to everything they should have. They instead made it so all precombined meshes are treated as ground, so breaking precombineds (which is required if you want to be able to scrap those meshes that had been precombined) makes it so you can't build on them without adding the keyword yourself. Some things were missed (such as the Starlight screen/backroom*), and the only way to add the keyword to a static collection is to break it, and add the keyword to the parts**. The need to add that keyword individually to everything that needs it is why, whenever someone points out a new thing that needs the keyword, I add that new base object to the Building Placement Fix and advise they use Place Everywhere. Every feature of Place Everywhere is toggleable, so you can, if you want, only use the snap functionality***.

@Jimmy, The esm version of Spring Cleaning works in the exact same way as SE, it's just messier****, and can't be moved to the end of your load order. If the esm version of Spring Cleaning works fine for you in all settlements, then you don't have to worry about the load order of SE, as you don't have any other mods that touch settlement cells. Of note, the only reason the esm version of Spring Cleaning is an esm is, when it was last updated, Bethesda hadn't fixed the Cell Reset bug, so any non-esm that broke precombineds***** would cause the bug, while esm's would be fine.

That said, some people like the fact that there are some things Spring Cleaning won't let you scrap, so if it is a better fit for you then I would recommend using xEdit to clean it up.

*I'll make sure to add that in the future

**Static collections cannot be given keywords, and don't inherit the keywords of their component parts

***And can even disable the functionality in the middle of building if you want

****The last update to Spring Cleaning was from before we really knew anything about precombineds. I know as much about precombineds as I do now because I spent some time figuring out why Spring Cleaning worked, and how I could trim it down to the bare minimum required (a single ITM record per cell). The original SE team then found the Cell record changes required to eliminate even that single ITM.

*****Or possibly just touched an exterior cell, don't remember the exact conditions