Soul Crusher - Soul gems give magicka

StarLeo

Hi everybody!

As the title says, I am here to request a mod to make filled soul gems into magicka potion-like items.

The idea comes from a text game I played a while ago, in which the main character learns a spell to crush a recently killed enemy's soul to recharge his mana resource.

Playing with "Spellcrafting for Skyrim" mod, the first thing I did was create a "Soul Trap Firebolt" so I could start enchanting right away, and the thought came to me that this ability would be VERY useful in the early game especially with difficulty overhauls like Requiem, or even Spellcrafting itself since magicka costs are kind of high.

I was going to make this myself, but Creation kit woke up on the wrong side of the bed today and absolutely refuses to open, so here I am XD

Edit: CK finally opened and so I tried to make a modified version of "Transmute Ore" to consume the lowest ranking soul gem, but the script makes no sense to my c# ass, therefore I'm now depending on this request.

Edited by StarLeo

• 3 weeks later...

I am actually looking for something like this also, so this is mainly a bump.

So far the closest I've found is:

Soul Salts

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14043

It allows you to break down soul gems into ingredients which can then be use for potions.

But, that's not quite what we're looking for, Soul Gems as magicka batteries.

Searching for "battery" I find:

Eldritch Battery

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13150

Still not a magicka battery, but interesting none the less.

If I do find/create something, I'll update this post.

Let me know if you find/create anything.

I think I can create one, but I have other preoccupations and I'm feeling lazy. xD Convince me, haha.

So the idea is - create a spell that, when cast, consumes a soul gem which then restores magicka to the player? Should all types of soul gems be included? Also, should there be an additional cost (e.g. health, stamina, etc.) to the spell?

Edited by Caerulean

Since you know how to mod a way to do it is to make it automatic with a perk that checks when magicka hits 0, then looks through the inventory and uses the smallest filled soul gem, removes it, adds the value of magicka you want.

^ Wait, I just checked out your profile ('cause your name seemed familiar) and you seem like you can pull this off. :) You seem to have more spellmaking experience than I do. If you'd rather have someone else do it though, give me a week 'cause I still am unmotivated. xD

I was referring to the OP to give him ideas on how to do it, I wasn't trying to put you on the spot. I think it'll be annoying to troubleshoot and get working quickly using that method, and I'm working on my own mod. The easy way would be a lesser power that opens up a menu and from there you can select the correct soul gem.

Here's a sample script to attach to the lesser power. From there it's simple but you'll have to add checks in the MessageBox to see if the player has at least 1 of the item.

Scriptname SoulCrusherScript extends ActiveMagicEffect  

Message Property MyMessage auto
;Various soul gem properties, I forgot what category it falls under

Event OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)

int iButton = MyMessage .show()               

if iButton == 0           

akCaster.RestoreAV("magicka", 100)	                              
	akCaster.RemoveItem(SoulGem1, 1)

Elseif iButton == 1

akCaster.RestoreAV("magicka", 150) 
	akCaster.RemoveItem(SoulGem2, 1)

ElseIf iButton == 2 ;add as many as there are filled soul gems

akCaster.RestoreAV("magicka", 200) 
	akCaster.RemoveItem(SoulGem3, 1)

EndIf

EndEvent

That's like 50% of the mod right there. Shove the lesser power into a spell tome and you're pretty much done.

I don't think it'll be as nice as my first suggestion but that's easy and quick to make.

I'm liking where this is going.

My original thought was, initially the mage could absorb 10% of the max stored charge of the soul gem.

We wouldn't need to check "how full" a gem is and just say the gem type dictates how much magicka is absorbed.

Say the other 90% is "lost to the aether". And they would and could be consumed like potions.

Perhaps a tool (embalming tool??) that "cracks" the gem and releases its magicka into the surrounding area, of which the PC absorbs a small amount.

This would minimize its OP effects, while still allowing players to use the gems to power their magic.

At the cost of additional complexity, perhaps an Enchanting or Restoration skill check could increase this initial amount up to say a max of 30%.

So, initially, we'd be looking at absorbing : 10% + (Restoration / 5)

I don't know if you can check a skill for how many times a skill has been set to Legendary. But if so, set a flag for legendary count (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. etc.), so the final formula looks like this:

(10% + (Lengendary_Count_Flag * 20%)) + (Restoration / 5)

I envision:

Activate tool

Popup menu with gem types and inventory count >> > Petty (30) Lesser (15) Common (40) Greater (0) Grand (5)

Player clicks which gem they want to crack and ...

*Poof*

Magicka added to actor value (much like the script above)

Gem removed

Need to disable selection on 0 count.

Wish I knew more about scripting, ugh...

Any URLs anyone can share about it?

Edited by Aeden71

For the skill check you could add something basic. Instead of akCaster.RestoreAV("magicka", 100) you would add something like akCaster.RestoreAV("magicka", (10*EnchantingSkillValueAsInt))

If you want the spell to activate by clicking on an item, it should work by adding a script to the item that will fire the spell OnEquipped.