Unique NPCs-loot-corpses have invisible clothing (LooksMenu, CBBE)

phpones

Hey guys!

Hoping to get some help here from people more experienced then me.

I noticed that unique loot corpses appear with invisible body/clothing in my game. By unique loot corpses I mean those NPCs that appear already dead in the game, for example: Emma, Helena and Ricca.

I did some mod enabling/disabling and I think it's some weird iteration between BodyGen functionality (from LooksMenu) and CBBE. I have BodyGen templates to generate random bodies for AllFemale. I also have UniqueNPCs, but I don't think this one is involved.

Also all the alive NPCs work perfectly with BodyGen. And yes, all the bodies and outfits were generated in BodySlide (with morphs). Everything for alive NPCs and Player works correctly.

So, I have a save where Ricca's body was already generated and it's there with invisible clothing, showing only her head, feet and hands. If I unequip the clothes, the body appears.

Findings:

- Disabling the BodyGen template/morph.ini doesn't do anything because, well, the body is already generated.

- Disabling LooksMenu or CBBE and loading that save makes the armor/clothing appear correctly.

- Spawning the NPC by id (she spawns alive in that case) works fine, even with the same clothes as her dead body has.

- Using <id>.equipItem on the dead body and equip the same clothes she has (I tested with other clothes too) makes the clothes appear on the body normally.

It seems the clothes are invisible ONLY when I find those NPC in the world. It happened with Emma, Helena and Ricca. I suspect that BodyGen is applying the body templates to these unique dead bodies and something doesn't like that...

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on? Any tips to fix that? Or even directions on what I should investigate?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Using ModOrganizer 2

Edited by phpones

I can confirm it's a problem with LooksMenu BodyGen, CBBE has nothing to do with it.

I loaded an old save where I haven't reached College Square yet and COC'd myself there.

- I disable all my relevant mods except for LooksMenu and the morphs/templates. Ricca was still invisible.

- I enabled EVERYTHING except BodyGen morphs/templates, Ricca was fine and her clothes were there.

So for some reason the game doesn't like BodyGen messing with unique dead NPCs. Normal dead NPCs like nameless raiders, they have their clothes on, everything works fine.

I guess I'll have to remove BodyGen morphs and get tired of seeing the same body everywhere; or live with this annoying bug :(

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey, can anyone tell me if this only happens to unique NPC corpses? Because I think I have a lead on how to fix it if its just on unique NPC corpses...

Damn, that thing isn't fixed yet? Did you encounter the issue too?

Anyway... From what I remember 1 year ago, it was ONLY unique NPCs that spawn dead in the world, like I explained in my findings above.

Hey, can anyone tell me if this only happens to unique NPC corpses? Because I think I have a lead on how to fix it if its just on unique NPC corpses...

Damn, that thing isn't fixed yet? Did you encounter the issue too?

Anyway... From what I remember 1 year ago, it was ONLY unique NPCs that spawn dead in the world, like I explained in my findings above.

is still there and so far have not found anyone who has solved it... Your findings gave me ideas and I think I found something...

So far we know that the issue is caused by Bodygen, well I did some testing to try and pinpoint exactly what about the morph causes it I want to know if:

1) The mere fact that bodygen is in use the cause

2) Was it because bodygen is trying to morph a corpse

3) Was it affected by the preset that bodygen is trying to load into the corpse

I found that "1) The mere fact that bodygen is in use" was not the cause... I loaded presets using bodygen on both Marcy Long and Mama Murphy but did not load any preset on anyone else. I then visited Helena to check and she was not invisible. This told me that it wasn't just the precense of bodygen causing the issue. I made a save in front of Helena, exited my game edited the morph.ini to randomize bodies of all female human race. Once I loaded the game, Helena became invisible. This confirmed that issue is caused when bodygen tries to morph a corps, I exited without saving( to make sure I didn't accidentally load a game where Helena already got a morph from bodygen). I then edited the morph.ini, removed the randomization for all female human race and added an entry to specifically target Helen's baseid. I set it to load a preset with all sliders set to zero. I loaded the game and Helena was not invisible anymore. To further test my solution I exited, edited the morph.ini to once again have the ransom preset for all female humanrace included. Loaded teh game, Helena was not invisible and then I spawn several settlers to check if they had different bodies. They did.

So, I may have the solution for Helena at least. We will need to test the same solution with the other 2 and then check if the issue will appear on non-unique pre placed corpses. So far from a sure solution but I said... Its a lead...

Okie, manged to test the same method on Emma and Ricca and as far as I can tell it does work...

Just need to be sure the following is in your template.ini:

CBBE Zeroed [email protected]

And your morph.ini has these after the All|Female|HumanRace= XXXX line:

#Preplaced Corps
#Helena
Fallout4.esm|3df75=CBBE Zeroed Sliders
#Emma
Fallout4.esm|162781=CBBE Zeroed Sliders
#Rica
Fallout4.esm|1079af=CBBE Zeroed Sliders

If anyone else can verify that it work I think we may have found a fix...

Now, obvious limitation is that we can only do this to NPC corpses that have a unique baseid an we would have to input each one into the morph.ini manually... So I guess the next step would be a list of named female corpses in the game would need to be created and thier corresponding baseid be found...

Its a game-engine problem. Now, I am no modder (I FINALLY got something working last night!), but I know a little bit about programs, and how some of this stuff in FO4 must work in code.

The live body is a person, and has one set of code attached to it. a DEAD BODY is a container, nothing more, As far as the game knows, it is JUST THAT, and it can't tell it was EVER a 'person'. You cannot put clothes on a container (I've tried redressing bodies I've looted). If they die WITH the clothes on, however the game is coded, we can still see them on them, but once they enter 'container status', NOTHING can get the clothes back on them. The game starts those NPCs dead (with their generic outfits). In fact, I am fairly certain in order for this game engine to do that, those people start off ALIVE - they die just before you arive (and I can attest to this, because I accidentally got to one place where three dead people were supposed to be - and I not only watched them fall down dead, but I also HEARD THEM die. The same happened once when I rushed to the Automaton camp (that starts that whole DLC) - the humans were STILL ALIVE. Then they just died, for no apparent reason (so did all the robots but Ada).

Thus, in order for you to see clothes on someone, they have to have been alive first - thats just how the game does things. Whatever scripts you are using to redress folks is doing so AFTER those NPCs are dead, so the clothes just won't go onto them. I have the same issue with unique NPCs - a lot of the bodies I find (the named NPCs like you are talking about) I find nakey. Its just how it is. Anything that generates clothes after the fact will do this (for example, when I hit 'recycleactor' because I get so many damn ghoul-settlers, the new settler appears naked... but the original did not).

If you want to test this, just walk out of Goodneighbor... you'll hear the folks dying under the nearby overpass. Happens to me EVERY time. I go around the corner and they are already dead (and there's usually a spawn or three also there to attack). If they were dead before the game generated them, they wouldn't be able to have clothes on. Your scripts are kicking-in too late to dress them.

Oh, and if you want to know the 'why' of it - because it would actually be easier for the game NOT to do things this way - It all goers back to Skyrim... or the Elder scrolls (whichever came first - I don't play other Beth games). Maybe even an older game than those (Everquest?)

People kept pickpocketing the clothes people were wearing right off of them, so to keep that silly situation from happening, they made the equipped clothing item invisible in the inventory (its still there, you just can't interact with it... or steal it). Then people got annoyed that they couldn't loot the outfits, so the work-around was this - a dead body became a different thing to the game code, so the once-worn clothes would then appear in the inventory. If people never stole the clothes right off of NPC's backs, they would have never had to implement that - it would have been easier to just have the same inventory list for both dead and alive status.

• 6 months later...

@MarcusTay, you can clothe a corpse using the console. I encountered the problem described here with the Neon Flats creation. There is a room with dead Institute scientists wearing a hooded outfit. Except when I entered the room, the torso was invisible, but the head, hands, and feet were visible. The default outfit was visible in the corpse container and could be looted. I tried to equip the worksuit (using the base ID), but no joy. I then equipped some farm clothes and then the torso became clothed. I then tried re-equiping the default outfit (i.e., the hooded institute garb) and then that, too became visible. So clothing a pre-existing corpse can be done.