NMM install directory help

Keradiin36

okay

This post is about dragon age ultimate
i recently got a custom built pc for fo4 and sse, which came with a c drive (core drive, protected format) and an e drive
now when i set up my mod directories for those games, alot of sources seemed to say to keep your game folders and mod folders away from the "protected" drive.

which i've done, i also set steam to automatically install games to the E drive, so my games, my mods, mod install, and of course virtual install info go there.

however when i try to configure the directories for NMM for dragon age ultimate, it wants me to put my install info and my virtual install on the c drive, yet still suggests the mod files to go on my E drive (this is what i do want) which i just cant seem to grasp why it wants them there, when my game files are downloaded onto my E drive, and i am pretty sure despite my lack of knowledge and experience , that having the files in two separate drives would cause issues

let me point i am not experienced, fo4 and sse are my first games that ive ever modded (heavily and successfully), but i am aware that dragon age ultimate *most likely* runs on an entirely different architecture, and fo4 and sse seem very streamlined in terms of modding, 99% of mods can be installed without any issue through NMM, but im guessing dragon age ultimate is a different beast altogether.

as such i also have very little experience with manual installations, like ive only ever done very light mods manually, and never attempted anything like patches or merges.

if anyone can advice id be very grateful

As @balmz indicated, NMM isn't the best mod manager for the DA-series. It doesn't know how to handle many types of mods, and doesn't give useful information when it gets confused.

I have been modding DAO since 2010 and prefer to do things manually (for the most part) so I can keep track of what's installed and how to intervene when things go sideways... as they do.

See this article: Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies.

thanks for the replies (to questions that im almost certain have been asked 1000+ times before)
ill have a look at that link

now ive done a bit of browsing, and have come across DAmodder(as @balmz said) but also DAO-modmanager, and from what ive gleamed from the descriptions, damodder purely handles the DAzip files and renames them if needed.
where as DAO-modmanager indicates, that it handles overrides and even checks for compatibility issues between said overrides, but cant rename the zips

so my next question is, are both of these fully compatible with each other?

as far as mods go, ive read there seems to be a major memory leak issue in the game? which there is a patch for, and is basically required if i want to even think about modding DAU, is this true?

as far as where to get mods, im curious to know if there are any other mod websites that have a dragon age section?

also, the mods im planning to install are a very small list, a class mod which adds tons of new classes and specializations, a couple of companion morphs and some weapons and armour, so hopefully i shouldnt have to many issues if i take it slowly and read the descriptions.

thank you for any responses, after these questions, i should be good to go, the rest will come from user "trial and error"

My 2-cents on DAO mod managers, basic utilities, and best practices -> kh mods her game: DAO, Part 0 - The Basics… installation tips, utility things, and console stuff.

My (albeit brief) experience with DAModder was that it did not always cleanly uninstall DAzip mods, which negated its purpose (for me) as a mod manager... other users seem to find it adequate, though, so YMMV.

I used (and recommend) the native daupdater for installing DAzips, and DAO-ModManager as a tested and reliable uninstaller/manager; I only ever encountered one instance of DAO-Modmanager leaving garbage files behind. And the ability to create and save custom override packages is a tremendous boon, IMO.

thanks for the input,@theskymoves

been reading up on the 4gb patch, and came across LAA, and also saw threads about issues with the patch update specifically for dragon age ultimate edition, whether this issue still applies i am unsure, guess ill have to dig around more.