New to Modding. Need help with launch

StarksWinter

my guess is that since you wrote this in the Skyrim forum rather than Skyrim SE forum , you may have gotten your mods from the Skyrim site rather than Skyrim SE site

basically , Skyrim and Skyrim SE are two different games , and mods from one game won't generally work on the other

and if you try to use mods from the wrong game , the game won't start

if this isn't the issue , please provide as much information as possible , like your load order etc

@StarksWinter, Sounds like your confused, first of all Welcome the Weird and Wonderful world of Modding. I would suggest that you get your hands on a good Tutorial such as the videos that Gopher has done on YouTube his handle there is GophersVids , the actual set of Tutorials is called

Beginner's Guide to Modding Skyrim

The thing you need to understand is that the videos were setup with the original Skyrim in mind but a lot of what he covers also applies to Skyrim Special Edition, Just remember any of the mods or utilites he refers to are for the original Skyrim , Just replace them with the special Edition versions.

Which brings me to the next thing your modding a version of skyrim that works with 64bit version of Windows (so memory handling is different a long with a couple of other things ) which means any mods you saw on the Skyrim Nexus will probably NOT work, that doesn't mean you can't mod your game it just means you need to be looking for mods that are SkyrimSE compatible. You can get those kind of mods here http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

Next Point, I wouldn't use Vortex as yet , yes it's open alpha but you need to understand that mean there are going to be bugs here and there , your best bet is wait until it's actually available via link on main pages of the Nexus before using, so i would suggest either Nexus Mod Manager or Mod Organizer or if you really into learning curve Wryebash (though i wouldn't really advise it for someone just starting out)

Links :

Gophers' Tutorals>

SkyrimSE Nexus > https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

Post Script - There is a lot more to cover but I'll let Gopher walk you thorough it. If there is anything you don't understand, just ask.