New Modder, Help with Load Order (No idea what I am doing)

HmCabrera

So i went to verify the game files but doesnt seem to be the case. So i'm not sure what the issue might in regards to the armor and clothing. I also do not see any trace of Eli's mod clothing in the game so far.

On loot, i get messages like this. What do i do for this?

FO4Edit v3.2.1 found 6 ITM records.

FO4Edit v3.2.1 found 45 ITM records, 38 deleted references and 1 deleted navmesh. A cleaning guide is available here.

So i went to verify the game files but doesnt seem to be the case. So i'm not sure what the issue might in regards to the armor and clothing. I also do not see any trace of Eli's mod clothing in the game so far.

On loot, i get messages like this. What do i do for this?

FO4Edit v3.2.1 found 6 ITM records.

FO4Edit v3.2.1 found 45 ITM records, 38 deleted references and 1 deleted navmesh. A cleaning guide is available here.

Click on the link and clean the mods with records and references 99% of the time.

I'm working on a full-scale modding guide. I wish it were ready now - I think it would help you.

In the meantime, you need to clean your files, and it's a little more involved than just doing what LOOT says.

Here's what you need to do:

First, install FO4Edit and run Config FO4Edit from the Supported Tools menu in NMM. (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2737)

If you have trouble with this. let me know.

Next, you need to clean the original Bethesda game files.

1. Start NMM.
2. Launch FO4Edit from NMM.
3. Right-click anywhere in the Master/Plugin Selection window that appears and choose "Select None".
4. Select the first Bethesda game plugin under Fallout4.esm. (Never select Fallout4.esm itself.)
5. Click the OK button.
6. When you see "Background Loader: finished" at the bottom of the screen, right-click on the plugin you selected and choose "Apply Filter for Cleaning".
7. When you see "[Filtering done]" at the bottom of the screen, right-click on the plugin and choose "Remove 'Identical to Master' records".
8. In the pop-up that appears, wait for the "Yes, I'm absolutely sure" button to become clickable and click it.
9. Right-click on the plugin and choose "Undelete and Disable References". This may take a second or two. Make sure there are no messages at the top of the window before proceeding.
10. Close FO4Edit.
11. In the "Save changed files" window that appears, click the OK button.
12. Repeat steps 2-11 for every Bethesda game plugin except Fallout4.esm.

Note that this applies to the original Bethesda game files, not your mods.

Now for the mods.

If LOOT says that a mod plugin contains ITM records, the very first thing you need to do is go to the mod page and make sure the mod author doesn't state that the ITM records are intentional. For example, Armor Keywords has intentional ITM records and should NOT be cleaned. You may need to go through all the post pages and use your browser's search feature to look for "ITM," or "clean." It can be a bit of a drag but it could save you from breaking a mod that was done a certain way on purpose.

If there is no mention of ITM records from the mod author or by anyone on the mod's posts tab, you should ask first. But if the mod is a little older and you feel like you want to keep going, it should be okay to go ahead and clean the mod of ITM records, assuming no one has said that the ITM records are intentional. To do that, repeat the steps above, except this time you are selecting the plugin that LOOT complained about.

I know it seems like a lot of extra steps, but cleaning plugins is an important part of modding FO4 (and modded Bethesda games in general). Let me know if you get stuck anywhere and I'll try to help. :-)

BTW, you do have F4SE installed, right?

Edited by audiodef

Yes, I do have F4SE installed and do i need to redo the merge patch and bash patch after doing this?

So I finished the cleaning for the DLC and cleaning for any mods as you specified but there is still missing clothing items. I went to a couple of places to check and vanilla clothing seems fine. Raiders might be from raider overhaul are the most affected. Diamond city guards and some residents were missing clothing. Armor pieces are fine though on both my character and NPC. I had some model(?) issues on pipers face so I must have really messed up the load order somewhere

Edited by HmCabrera

You know, I actually don't know if you need to rebuild your merged and bashed patches after cleaning your game files, since normally, cleaning your game files is something that happens very early in the modding process, and creating your merged and bashed patches happens much later. I would say yes, to be on the safe side.

Alright, it does seem like something got bjorked somewhere. What happens with clothing if you start a new game with no mods loaded? (Loading a modded save with no mods loaded can actually result in seeing all kinds of issues, so that's not a great indicator of whether something is wrong.)