Radio object workshop model question

SuperSigDeluxe

Howdy Nexus !
I'm trying to figure out how to make a Radio model for my Radio mod but am absolutely clueless about how to do it. I couldn't find any tutorial for this specific task and am not sure exactly which software I would need to do so.

What I want to do is edit the existing Radio model object in the workshop, and make a custom one with different colors/diode lamp color kinda like the one we get with the Old World Radio mod (the ones made by CDante)

Is it possible to do so with the Creation Kit, or do I need a software like Nifskope/3dsMax ? I just want something basic to differentiate it from vanilla radios.
don't know how 3d modeling works at all and this is my first mod attempt with the Creation Kit.
At the moment the mod is functional, i've followed the tutorial made by RadioactiveNuke on Nexus and the one made by EliteKhajit on Youtube and it worked like a charm. But i'd really like to make my own custom model.

When I open the Radio object in CK it doesn't seem like I can edit colors or textures so i'm kind of lost. Would you kindly light my lantern and indicate where/how I could do that ? Which software do I need ? Is it hard ? Have I overlooked/missed a tutorial about this maybe ?

PS: I apologize for my fuzziness trying to explain this :laugh:

basically you've already answered your own question , without really knowing it

you want to change the textures of the radio , so you would need a program that allows you to create textures , something like photoshop , though there are other options you can find , and I'm sure you can find tutorials for the more commonly used programs (I can't really suggest any , but I'm sure a quick search would give you the solution)

after this you will need to create the object using NifSkope , mixing your new textures with the existing meshes from the game

and then just create the item in the CK , add it as a craftable settlement object and you should be done

basically you've already answered your own question , without really knowing it

you want to change the textures of the radio , so you would need a program that allows you to create textures , something like photoshop , though there are other options you can find , and I'm sure you can find tutorials for the more commonly used programs (I can't really suggest any , but I'm sure a quick search would give you the solution)

after this you will need to create the object using NifSkope , mixing your new textures with the existing meshes from the game

and then just create the item in the CK , add it as a craftable settlement object and you should be done

Woa thanks for the fast answer ! Yeah that's what I thought I saw a tutorial by Elianora involving Nifskope but I wasn't sure it would be the same for a radio item. Was kinda hoping that I wouldn't need anything else than CK but.. oh well guess i'll dabble into Nifskope blindly following instructions :laugh:

Anyway thanks a lot for your answer i'll download Nifskope right away and start messing with it ! Wish me luck !

PS : I'll upload the mod here when i'll be finished with the custom model, it's a simple "lore-friendly" radio

do note that you'll need to create your texture before applying it to the model using NifSkope

so you still need a program like photoshop , and to create the texture (I would recommend using the original texture as a template , at least so you understand how these files are set up , and that you have all required layers)

do note that you'll need to create your texture before applying it to the model using NifSkope

so you still need a program like photoshop , and to create the texture (I would recommend using the original texture as a template , at least so you understand how these files are set up , and that you have all required layers)

I have photoshop (CC) but not too much experience with it aside creating horrid forum signatures :laugh: I think i'll figure it out, I'd like to put the robot in my avatar on the radio but if it's too complicated/renders badly i'd rather use a simple recolor with the vanilla textures. The thing I really want to edit though is the diode color/texture/light (maybe edit the "ON" animation), kind of fear I don't have sufficient skills for this. Thanks again for your answers, will do my best anyway !

PS: Watching this tutorial at the moment so I can understand how it works

Edited by SuperSigDeluxe

Edit : It's fixed, I just had to create folders with exact same paths as with BAE !

Hello again Nexus
So after following tutorials for days I finally managed to create a model using NifSkope & CC, here's what it looks like
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/114892

I've exported it as .Nif file & dropped it in Data/meshes/OWR (Couldn't find the original PrewarRadio.nif in Data/meshes/Props, I don't know why)

I've also dropped the .DDS texture file in Data/Textures/OWR (Same here, not sure if Old World Radio displaced those files or if I messed with something, or if they're actually only available through extracting them with Bethesda Archive Extractor)

For some reason I am unable to apply my custom textures to the ingame model. When I open the .nif with Nifskope the textures are there. I've also set the texture path to Data/Textures/etc (In Nifskope & Creation Kit)

I created a new texture in CK and set the path to the files as seen below

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/114899

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/114900

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/114901

I get this warning when I try to select my .nif model

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/114907

The model displayed in the preview doesn't show my custom textures, Couldn't find the DarkGray.dds in my folders either

I'm again a bit lost, watched way too many tutorials and my brain can't handle it anymore (at least for today)

If someone could help a bit I'd appreciate it ! I just need indications about what I'm doing wrong and I can figure out the rest

Edited by SuperSigDeluxe

Edit : Fixed by changing the DDS export to DXT5 instead of DXT1

Okay... Now I have another issue

Weird green glow around the light diode :

Screen_Shot14.png

Screen_Shot19.png

After reloading my save :

Screen_Shot22.jpg
Not sure what's causing this... I think it's either the Glow or lighting shader properties ? I'm not sure exactly of how i'm supposed to edit these. Is it in my .DDS, .Nif, or .BGS material.
When I compare each three with the vanilla PreWarRadio there's absolutely no difference in their settings (Aside custom DDS texture). In fact i've just duplicated the PrewarRadio and edited it to have my textures (and use my custom BGS which is also the duplicated prewarradio .BGS).
BGS files have the exact same settings in Material Editor.exe.
In Nifskope I've thoroughly compared every block/nodes/BStri things, the only difference is the BGS files that it uses.
Anyone have an idea of how to fix this ?
Edited by SuperSigDeluxe