Mods Install Issue: "An Exception Occurred in the script."

As of 13 May 2019 all "workarounds" that depend upon continued use of the old API (such as in post #5) will no longer function. That API has been removed, as previously announced more than two years ago. This includes but is not limited to:
* Nexus Mod Manager v0.65.11 and lower
* Mod Organiser 2 v2.1 and lower
* Mod Organizer 1
This only affects their ability to login to and automate the download from the Nexus site. You can still use them to "manage" your plugins with downloaded mods.

Repeating the previous advice (updated):
Some people are finding that even after updating NMM they still get a "script exception" message when installing some mods (such as UIO and MCM). This seems to be resolved by this suggestion from user ElysianMod:
* Run NMM as an "Administrator privileges" account.
* Go to NMM "Settings" (the "double wheeled gear" icon on the menu bar).
* Enable "Add Shell Extensions for Supported File Types".
* Then restart NMM. (You should not need "Administrator privileges" this time.)
(Supposedly this fix is included in update v0.65.12 and later to NMM on GitHub.)

Bottom line: make sure you have updated your manager version. If you still believe you have a problem with an updated NMM, report it as a bug to the GitHub project team.

A possible contributing general problem not directly related to NMM:

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

Disabling "User Account Control" (UAC) only stops Windows from prompting you to grant "administrative" credentials to an application that the system says must have a "UAC elevation". Disabling UAC does not automatically then enable the permission for such applications. Instead, (for all intents and purposes) it automatically denies them. (Please read this MS article on how it works in Win10. The basics have been there since the inception of UAC with Vista.)

-Dubious-

• 1 month later...

All the information I have about the current version of NMM (now at v0.70.8) is in post #22, which describes how to access "Settings". If you haven't updated to the latest GitHub version, recommend you do so immediately. Older versions of the original Nexus release of NMM are no longer functional.

The older Nexus version of the "NMM Manual" is still available, but there isn't one for the GitHub version.

-Dubious-

• 1 month later...

so i have the nmm comunity edition with the latest update and due to a issue with the vanilla textures i ended up doing a fresh install but then i got an exception occured in the script when trying to install mcm and i googled a fix but heres the kicker i ran it as administrator and clicked settings but there was no add shell extension in the settings and i tried YouTubing it with no avail of finding a decent video and found a reddit post with the issue bu it didn't go into detail im a step by step instructions kind of guy so ive literally been at this for 48 hours with no sleep can anyone help?

First of all GET SOME SLEEP! Anyone makes stupid mistakes when you are overtired. You won't read or interpret instructions clearly when tired. This is a game, not life and death. Things will go much more easily after you rest.

Assuming you are correct that you have the latest version of the GitHub NMM (check your installed version number) and that you have followed post #21 above, then you need to ask the maintainers of NMM on GitHub about the missing "Add Shell Extensions for Supported File Types" option. However, first check that you are not getting blocked by Windows because you do not have sufficient privileges.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. With the game moved out of the default location you will not need to be running it as an "Administrator Account", which is safer. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

Disabling "User Account Control" (UAC) only stops Windows from prompting you to grant "administrative" credentials to an application that the system says must have a "UAC elevation". Disabling UAC does not automatically then enable the permission for such applications. Instead, (for all intents and purposes) it automatically denies them. (Please read this MS article on how it works in Win10. The basics have been there since the inception of UAC with Vista.)

If you did move Steam out of the default location, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then (while logged in as an "Administrator Account") need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

-Dubious-

First of all GET SOME SLEEP! Anyone makes stupid mistakes when you are overtired. You won't read or interpret instructions clearly when tired. This is a game, not life and death. Things will go much more easily after you rest.

Assuming you are correct that you have the latest version of the GitHub NMM (check your installed version number) and that you have followed post #21 above, then you need to ask the maintainers of NMM on GitHub about the missing "Add Shell Extensions for Supported File Types" option. However, first check that you are not getting blocked by Windows because you do not have sufficient privileges.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. With the game moved out of the default location you will not need to be running it as an "Administrator Account", which is safer. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

If you did move Steam out of the default location, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then (while logged in as an "Administrator Account") need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

-Dubious-

i have windows 7 and i reverted to the last version and still no luck i read the release notes on git hub and it automatically adds it apparently but even when i reverted to the last version it never showed up i have admin privileges and did grant full permission to all of them but still no luck i even tried uninstalling mcm and reinstalling mcm and the weapon mod menu ad still get the same issue

Edited by nickisatoughguy

The article on changing the permissions on the parent (or any) folder is "File and Folder permissions". Just "Google" for that same subject phrase with the additional key word "video" yourself (i.e. [https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=%22File+and+Folder+permissions%22+video&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=].

-Dubious-

The article on changing the permissions on the parent (or any) folder is "File and Folder permissions". Just "Google" for that same subject phrase with the additional key word "video" yourself (i.e. [https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=%22File+and+Folder+permissions%22+video&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=].

-Dubious-

thanks dubious just did all that and i still have no luck but i will reiterate the latest version has that option already built in to the program but i quote from the release notes "please be fully aware that the latest release is not fully source coded as our certificate has collapsed " could that have anything to do with it?

Edited by nickisatoughguy

Shouldn't. They (GitHub NMM) just mean that they do not have a currently valid "certificate" recognized by Microsoft associated with their source code, so Windows won't let you compile it locally without warnings about malware. Typically you are downloading and using a previously compiled "binary" file which you just "run" (execute).

If the NMM people are saying the "Shell Extensions" are already included automatically in the new version, to the best of my knowledge it is either their implementation is faulty, or it is the folder permissions mentioned earlier. When you say "just did all that and i still have no luck", do you mean you now have the permissions on the folder and ALL subfolders set to allow "All Users" to have "Full Control" when you look at the permissions on each folder, but you still get the same "exception occurred" error from NMM? If the latter, then you need to 1) try an older version, 2) see if the GitHub NMM people have any ideas, or 3) try a different manager.

I use Wrye Flash (and Wrye Bash) myself, so I can't really help with problems of other managers if it isn't covered in their documentation.

-Dubious-