What was the game that caused your gaming addiction to begin?

Systex

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were two of them, actually. Ace Combat 4 got me hooked on games- it was the first game I ever actually finished, and was the first one I was ever actually good at. I continued to play games for a while, but it seemed to me that they got steadily worse and worse. I mean, they clearly got better in graphics and production values, but they never seemed as fun to me. I could never sit down and just play them for hours, for multiple playthroughs, exhausting every difficulty option. Games like Ace Combat 5, Resistance; Fall of Man, Killzone 2, Bad Company 2, Lair, Dragon Age; Origins, Oblivion, Skyrim, and more- they were all fun, but I never had the same feeling I did as when I was playing Ace Combat 4. I'd play them for twenty hours or so, typically finish them once, and then never look at them again. They almost felt hollow to me.

And then Demon's Souls released, and that rekindled my love of gaming. I was immediately addicted, and played it for countless hours. It was brutal and satisfying, and you never knew what was waiting around the next corner- it was so different from any other modern game. It was my favorite game for a while. Until Dark Souls released, anyway.

Edited by Aegrus

For me, it was either Dark Forces or Morrowind. I definitely spent considerably more time playing Morrowind.

Funny story about that, actually. It was purely a chance of luck that I found out about the Elder Scrolls games back then. I built my first computer when I was either 11 or 12 (with a bit of help from my dad), and Morrowind came free with the graphics card; just the disc in a paper sleeve, no instruction booklet what-so-ever. It's also how I met one of my good friends. He had the booklet at school one day, and I asked if I could take a look at it. We just kinda became friends after that.

Sorry for the off-beat life story there. :happy:

Heretic. Man, it seemed sooooo cool.;D At the time.

However my all time favorite game (other than Skyrim, of course) must be it's antithesis: Quake III Arena. No story line, just kill, die, kill again. With big guns. As fast as possible. Very cathartic!:D

I think addition is too strong of a word but Age of Empires really got me going to gaming (who remembers geting video games as promotional products?), though I remember playing Duke Nukem 3D when I was 7 years old. Since then I was never prone to violence... *kills the guard with a pen* See, no violence at all :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... well it wasn't one single game that got me hooked but a few. My first gaming experience was with Atari 2600 but the true gaming joy started when my best friend got an Apple IIe and we started playing games like Wizards Crown, Computer Ambush, Dragons Eye and Ultima 1 & 2. The rest, as they say, is history :)

In many ways I think back to those early days of gaming, when computers only had 64k of ram and used 5 1/4 inch floppy disks, when loading times could take many minutes. Yet despite all that, those games where great. Sure the graphics are nothing like we see today however I believe the designers had to put more effort into the game itself to entice you and hook you in and keep you playing.

Ahh good times :thumbsup: