• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jimmywon34

jimmywon34

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

how does modded skyrim run on ryzen cpu's? I watched a video where someone explained they got a ryzen 5 and their skyrim LE modded game was having performance issues. I am more interested in the ryzen 7's but can't find much online and am thinking of upgrading my cpu right now. anyone have experience with modding on a ryzen with ENB of course? I've always heard that intel is the way to go for skyrim single core performance but i am curious what other people's experience is with the ryzen 7's.

Edited by jimmywon34, 16 May 2018 - 02:21 AM.

fftfan

fftfan

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I'm curious also. I am running i7 but thought AMD was improving a lot with Ryzen meaning potentially I might consider a future Ryzen when someday I rebuild PC. But Bethesda games are my main priority so if Ryzen has similar problems on Bethesda games as the old FX CPUs I will continue to be Intel/Nvidia only. 90% of my gametime comes from Bethesda games like Skyrim/Fallout 4 so there's no way I'll go Ryzen if it doesn't run these games well.

Edited by fftfan, 16 May 2018 - 02:13 AM.

jimmywon34

jimmywon34

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

I'm curious also. I am running i7 but thought AMD was improving a lot with Ryzen meaning potentially I might consider a future Ryzen when someday I rebuild PC. But Bethesda games are my main priority so if Ryzen has similar problems on Bethesda games as the old FX CPUs I will continue to be Intel/Nvidia only. 90% of my gametime comes from Bethesda games like Skyrim/Fallout 4 so there's no way I'll go Ryzen if it doesn't run these games well.

how is gaming on that i7 7700 in bethesda titles? is it stutter and hitching free? especially skyrim LE? i have an i5 and was thinking either i7 or ryzen 7 for an upgrade which is why i'm asking but i'm in the same position, I get about 50% of game time in skyrim so a cpu that is best for that is a must. I know with my current i5 I still get slowdowns, stutters when turning really fast, on occasion, and stutters when running outside/changing new cells. my fps is usually 60 with some areas going down to 45, pretty heavily modded, with enb and 2k textures but i'm getting a 1080 ti now, previously was running skyrim on a 980 ti, and thus I was going to upgrade my cpu as well. playing on windows 10 x64, SSD

fftfan

fftfan

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

how is gaming on that i7 7700 in bethesda titles? is it stutter and hitching free? especially skyrim LE? i have an i5 and was thinking either i7 or ryzen 7 for an upgrade which is why i'm asking but i'm in the same position, I get about 50% of game time in skyrim so a cpu that is best for that is a must. I know with my current i5 I still get slowdowns, stutters when turning really fast, on occasion, and stutters when running outside/changing new cells. my fps is usually 60 with some areas going down to 45, pretty heavily modded, with enb and 2k textures but i'm getting a 1080 ti now, previously was running skyrim on a 980 ti, and thus I was going to upgrade my cpu as well. playing on windows 10 x64, SSD

It's good except having only 8GB RAM sucks. Skyrim I did not play so much but do play fallout 4 a lot.

What i5 do you have? SSD is a must, I'd say 500gb recommended. The loading times are bad enough otherwise that I don't have the patience anymore

jones177

jones177

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 793 posts

Hi

Skyrim/SE & Fallout 4 are CPU games that favor high IPC.

Basically your CPU choice will determine what your frame rate lows will be.

For these games I use the PassMark single thread performance chart to see what kind of lows to expect.

Here are some examples.

i7 2600k = lows into the 30s          PassMark single thread score = 1942

i7 6700k = lows into the high 40s   PassMark single thread score = 2352

i7 8700k = lows into the 50s           PassMark single thread score = 2708

The Ryzen 2700X and the 2600X are the only AMD chips I would own.

2700X PassMark single thread score = 2203

2600X PassMark single thread score = 2149

There are Ryzen chips like the 1600X, 1700X & 1800X that have an IPC close to the i7 2600k. These will make very playable heavily modded games but your lows will be in the 30s & you will feel them no matter what GPU you choose.

The i7 7700k slots between the i7 8700k & the i7 6700k with a score of 2583. There is no point getting this chip unless you have a Z270 motherboard. They cost the same as a i7 8700k & the motherboards are about the same price as well. 

Later

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyrim, technical, support, modding

Page loaded in: 0.769 seconds