Skyrim modding on Ryzen 7

jimmywon34

how does modded skyrim run on ryzen cpu's? I watched a video where someone explained they got a ryzen 5 and their skyrim LE modded game was having performance issues. I am more interested in the ryzen 7's but can't find much online and am thinking of upgrading my cpu right now. anyone have experience with modding on a ryzen with ENB of course? I've always heard that intel is the way to go for skyrim single core performance but i am curious what other people's experience is with the ryzen 7's.

Edited by jimmywon34

I'm curious also. I am running i7 but thought AMD was improving a lot with Ryzen meaning potentially I might consider a future Ryzen when someday I rebuild PC. But Bethesda games are my main priority so if Ryzen has similar problems on Bethesda games as the old FX CPUs I will continue to be Intel/Nvidia only. 90% of my gametime comes from Bethesda games like Skyrim/Fallout 4 so there's no way I'll go Ryzen if it doesn't run these games well.

Edited by fftfan

I'm curious also. I am running i7 but thought AMD was improving a lot with Ryzen meaning potentially I might consider a future Ryzen when someday I rebuild PC. But Bethesda games are my main priority so if Ryzen has similar problems on Bethesda games as the old FX CPUs I will continue to be Intel/Nvidia only. 90% of my gametime comes from Bethesda games like Skyrim/Fallout 4 so there's no way I'll go Ryzen if it doesn't run these games well.

how is gaming on that i7 7700 in bethesda titles? is it stutter and hitching free? especially skyrim LE? i have an i5 and was thinking either i7 or ryzen 7 for an upgrade which is why i'm asking but i'm in the same position, I get about 50% of game time in skyrim so a cpu that is best for that is a must. I know with my current i5 I still get slowdowns, stutters when turning really fast, on occasion, and stutters when running outside/changing new cells. my fps is usually 60 with some areas going down to 45, pretty heavily modded, with enb and 2k textures but i'm getting a 1080 ti now, previously was running skyrim on a 980 ti, and thus I was going to upgrade my cpu as well. playing on windows 10 x64, SSD

how is gaming on that i7 7700 in bethesda titles? is it stutter and hitching free? especially skyrim LE? i have an i5 and was thinking either i7 or ryzen 7 for an upgrade which is why i'm asking but i'm in the same position, I get about 50% of game time in skyrim so a cpu that is best for that is a must. I know with my current i5 I still get slowdowns, stutters when turning really fast, on occasion, and stutters when running outside/changing new cells. my fps is usually 60 with some areas going down to 45, pretty heavily modded, with enb and 2k textures but i'm getting a 1080 ti now, previously was running skyrim on a 980 ti, and thus I was going to upgrade my cpu as well. playing on windows 10 x64, SSD

It's good except having only 8GB RAM sucks. Skyrim I did not play so much but do play fallout 4 a lot.

What i5 do you have? SSD is a must, I'd say 500gb recommended. The loading times are bad enough otherwise that I don't have the patience anymore

Hi

Skyrim/SE & Fallout 4 are CPU games that favor high IPC.

Basically your CPU choice will determine what your frame rate lows will be.

For these games I use the PassMark single thread performance chart to see what kind of lows to expect.

Here are some examples.

i7 2600k = lows into the 30s PassMark single thread score = 1942

i7 6700k = lows into the high 40s PassMark single thread score = 2352

i7 8700k = lows into the 50s PassMark single thread score = 2708

The Ryzen 2700X and the 2600X are the only AMD chips I would own.

2700X PassMark single thread score = 2203

2600X PassMark single thread score = 2149

There are Ryzen chips like the 1600X, 1700X & 1800X that have an IPC close to the i7 2600k. These will make very playable heavily modded games but your lows will be in the 30s & you will feel them no matter what GPU you choose.

The i7 7700k slots between the i7 8700k & the i7 6700k with a score of 2583. There is no point getting this chip unless you have a Z270 motherboard. They cost the same as a i7 8700k & the motherboards are about the same price as well.

Later

Thanks for the info where can i find a list of all those numbers? do they have more cpu's listed with their scores on some website?

i have an i5 4690k, not overclocked, and i'm guessing its score would be lower than all of those? I currently have a pretty heavily modded game but I never notice any dips in fps lower than low or mid 40's and the hitches and stutters happen even with high fps and typically when i'm running outside from place to place or I walk through a door into a new cell and turn really fast. that doesn't happen in fallout 4 or SSE so I've always just chalked it up to skyrim LE being older 32 bit. I have an ssd, 500 gb.

Edited by jimmywon34