Archive Invalidation Pause Crash

lphoenix6

I'm currently experiencing a bug where archive invalidation causes my game to CTD whenever I pause it.

Here's the story:

I start playing the game again for the first time in a year, realize my game is crashing when I hit escape.

First thing I did was test if it was the escape key or the pause menu by reassigning the pause menu key. Turns out it was the pause menu causing CTD.

Then I thought it was something in my load order, so I deactivated every one of my mods with the intention to reactivate them one at a time to figure out which one is the culprit. Turns out it crashes when I pause the game even with no mods activated.

Then through playing around I eventually turned off archive invalidation and pause no longer crashed my game. So I arrived at the conclusion that it it was archive invalidation that was causing the CTD.

I'm currently using the archive invalidation method:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\, VIDEO\

instead of the newer method:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

since the second one crashes my game before it even fully starts up.

Please help what do I do?

• 3 years later...

I found the solution.

You need to add this:

Fallout4Prefs.ini

[Launcher]

bEnableFileSelection=1

Thank you massively for this, this saved me a tonne of troubleshooting today.

I'm mid playthrough and this wasn't an issue for me until I installed either Previs Repair Pack or Boston Airport Windows Transparency Fix.