SAS Hard Drives on X299/X399 Mainboards?

Does anybody know if SAS drives could be used on modern X299 chipsets?

Later this year I'll buy a socket 2066 mainboard (an AsRock Fatal1ty X299 Pro) but I have two 4TB Seagate Constellation SAS hard drives hooked to my current AsRock Z77 eXtreme11 motherboard and I'd like to keep using them if possible...

I'll have to elliminate two hard drives anyway because right now I have ten hard drives and two burners; the eXtreme11 board has fourteen SATA connectors (of which six are SAS). The max I find on today's boards is ten connectors.

Your current motherboard is very rare to include a SAS controller I don't think you are going to find a consumer board that has them.

But x299 has plenty of PCIe lanes so you could just get a PCIe SAS controller card and not lose any of your hard drives.

Your current motherboard is very rare to include a SAS controller I don't think you are going to find a consumer board that has them.

But x299 has plenty of PCIe lanes so you could just get a PCIe SAS controller card and not lose any of your hard drives.

Yeah, SAS was supposed to be the new thing, but before it got integrated properly, it was overtaken by the development and rapid rise of SSD.

I didn't think of a PCIe adapter. I'll have a look around asap. Thanks for the tip, Erik :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I know that's beside the question, but why? "Modern X299 chipsets" is an oxymoron; you're looking at 3 year old technology, repackaged with more cores.

Intel Z370 is better at less-recent games, AMD Threadripper at everything else. There might be a narrow niche where you need specific games at a certain level of performance, but not at their best, for the sake of still second-rate multithreading performance - but there's a lot fewer people actually inside that niche than people who think they are.

FWIW, Intel plans to release an 8-core 1151/Z390 chip later this year. If X299 was waiting for something to completely obsolete it, this is it. It will easily outperform 10-core and match 12-core X299 chips in productivity, wipe the floor with them in games. Still won't match Threadripper, but the latter is there and it's finally competitive in games as well. Unless you're one of the few people who will get the 16-18 core version, the X299 isn't worth bothering with.

I know that's beside the question, but why? "Modern X299 chipsets" is an oxymoron; you're looking at 3 year old technology, repackaged with more cores.

Intel Z370 is better at less-recent games, AMD Threadripper at everything else. There might be a narrow niche where you need specific games at a certain level of performance, but not at their best, for the sake of still second-rate multithreading performance - but there's a lot fewer people actually inside that niche than people who think they are.

FWIW, Intel plans to release an 8-core 1151/Z390 chip later this year. If X299 was waiting for something to completely obsolete it, this is it. It will easily outperform 10-core and match 12-core X299 chips in productivity, wipe the floor with them in games. Still won't match Threadripper, but the latter is there and it's finally competitive in games as well. Unless you're one of the few people who will get the 16-18 core version, the X299 isn't worth bothering with.

Even Ryzen 2 is an option, they are very close to coffee lake clock for clock. Threadripper seems an awesome platform with lots of pcie lanes.

Also you have to be careful with x299 boards, some don't have the proper vrm's to support the higher end processors.

The reason why I go for the socket 2066 X299 chipset is because it offers boards with ten SATA connectors. The rest (as far as I've seen) only offer either six or eight while I need twelve. I do have a two-drive QNAP NAS box with a max capacity of 16TB, but then I'll need a few days off to empty two 8TB hard drives I have so they can be formatted for use in the NAS.

Sure, I'll have a look at the new socket 1151/Z390 combo. If my current system doesn't croak before the release, that is.

The reason why I go for the socket 2066 X299 chipset is because it offers boards with ten SATA connectors. The rest (as far as I've seen) only offer either six or eight while I need twelve. I do have a two-drive QNAP NAS box with a max capacity of 16TB, but then I'll need a few days off to empty two 8TB hard drives I have so they can be formatted for use in the NAS.

Sure, I'll have a look at the new socket 1151/Z390 combo. If my current system doesn't croak before the release, that is.

I found an interesting adapter, sorry it is in Dutch but you get the idea :laugh:

https://www.allekabels.nl/m2-ssd/15535/1370104/m2-ngff-naar-4x-7-polig-sata-adapter.html

Replaces a nvme drive with 4 sata ports.

The Z390 with an 8 core looks interesting and cheaper than a x299 with the i7-7820X

The i7-7820X will be made obsolete by the s1151 octo-core.

I fully understand your problem, I had a x79 system for years to get extra SATA ports

Edited by Erik005

Cheers Erik. I speak Flemish, which is the same as Dutch; they're like dialects from one another. I actually have an account at AlleKabels (All Cables). I buy my brand and non-brand print inks from there. Since I live in Antwerp, which is close to the Dutch border, delivery is done within a day thanks to the fact the Dutch Postal Services also deliver in Belgium.

I also found a couple of adapters at Alternate. It's a German computer parts chain with a branch a few miles up the road from where I live.

I'll have a look at that link :wink:

I'm from Rotterdam :D 15min drive from Alternate and a 15 min drive from Informatique.

The M.2 connector is basically 4 extra PCIe 3.0 lanes straight from the processor, there are a lot of options there.

Edited by Erik005

I'm from Rotterdam :D 15min drive from Alternate and a 15 min drive from Informatique.

The M.2 connector is basically 4 extra PCIe 3.0 lanes straight from the processor, there are a lot of options there.

Yes, but they're all SATA while I need SAS. SAS can handle the SATA protocol, but not the other way round.

Last time I was in Rotterdam was to see the Rolling Stones in 1983...