This is what a newbie Load Order looks like...be gentle.

Tsaebad

Hey all! Vic here. I'm just going to remind everyone here with tonnes of knowledge what it was like when they first began. A green fledgling scraping at the bits and pieces of relevant knowledge they can acquire while simultaneously wondering why they crash to desktop after trying to load save files.

I'm ready for roasts. Hell, I would roast me too.

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
6 6 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
7 7 BSAssets.esm
8 8 BSHeartland.esm
9 9 Falskaar.esm
10 a DynDOLOD.esm
11 b BS_DLC_patch.esp
12 c TravellersOfSkyrim.esm
13 d UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
14 e Cutting Room Floor.esp
15 f SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
16 10 Bring Out Your Dead.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
17 11 XPMSE.esp
18 12 RaceMenu.esp
19 13 RaceMenuPlugin.esp
20 14 Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
21 15 Vivid WeathersSE.esp
22 16 icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
23 17 Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
24 18 Better Dynamic Snow.esp
BlendedRoads.esp
25 19 RelightingSkyrim_SSE.esp
26 1a Book Covers Skyrim.esp
27 1b MoonAndStar_MAS.esp
28 1c Point The Way.esp
29 1d MajesticMountains_Moss.esp
30 1e Oblivion Gates Remade.esp
31 1f EmbersHD.esp
32 20 mrbs-uniqueloot-se.esp
33 21 Shor's Stone.esp
34 22 Immersive Patrols II.esp
35 23 Ivarstead.esp
36 24 Helarchen Creek.esp
37 25 FarmhouseChimneys.esp
38 26 Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library.esp
39 27 DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
40 28 DustEffectsSSE.esp
41 29 Elemental_Staffs.esp
42 2a dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
43 2b dD-No Screen Blood.esp
44 2c Footprints.esp
GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp
SparklesSE.esp
45 2d MajesticMountains.esp
RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Sorted.esp
46 2e TerrainLodRedone.esp
47 2f ORM-Arvak.esp
48 30 Veydosebrom - Grasses and Groundcover.esp
LSFX-SSE-Audiosettings.esp
49 31 SSE High Quality Music.esp
50 32 Brows.esp
51 33 SPTConsistentOlderPeopleSE.esp
Improved Eyes Skyrim - Vamp.esp
52 34 Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp
53 35 NB-Scars.esp
54 36 FloraRespawnFix.esp
YOT - Your Own Thoughts.esp
55 37 AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp
56 38 Ars Metallica.esp
57 39 No NPC Greetings.esp
Paralyze.esp
58 3a SMDropLitTorch.esp
BSHeartlandFRF.esp
59 3b NoBSAIProjectileDodge.esp
BetterQuestObjectives.esp
Alex's Higher Bounty Rewards EXTRA.esp
60 3c HarvestOverhaul_Redone_Creatures.esp
HOR Creatures-Flora Respawn Fix Patch.esp
61 3d HarvestOverhaul_Redone.esp
HOR-Flora Respawn Fix Patch.esp
RichMerchantsSkyrim_x5.esp
62 3e DynamicDungeonLoot.esp
DDLUniqueLootPatch.esp
63 3f Cloaks&Capes.esp
64 40 TravellersOfSkyrim - Vanilla.esp
65 41 TravellersOfSkyrim - Dragonborn Addon.esp
Circlets and Masks with all Robes and Hoods.esp
66 42 imp_helm_legend.esp
67 43 Simple AUA.esp
BetterQuestObjectives - BCS Patch.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-CRFPatch.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-DBForevertoMisc.esp
68 44 Kynesgrove.esp
69 45 Soljund's Sinkhole.esp
70 46 Karthwasten.esp
71 47 Dragon Bridge.esp
72 48 PilgrimsDelight.esp
73 49 The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp
74 4a NotSoFast-MainQuest.esp
75 4b NotSoFast-MageGuild.esp
76 4c iHUD.esp
77 4d Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
78 4e AHZmoreHUD.esp
79 4f SkyUI_SE.esp
80 50 FarmhouseChimneysFalskaar.esp
Oblivion Gates Remade - 1st Person Messages.esp
Vivid Weathers SE - Bruma Patch.esp
Vivid Weathers SE - Extended Snow.esp
Vivid Weathers SE - Falskaar.esp
81 51 WondersofWeather.esp
82 52 FNIS.esp
83 53 FarmhouseChimneysCRF.esp
84 54 Gildergreen Regrown.esp
85 55 FarmhouseChimneysHelarchenCreek.esp
86 56 FarmhouseChimneysMaS.esp
87 57 Oblivion Gates Remade - Map Markers.esp
88 58 Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
89 59 Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
90 5a TheChoiceIsYours.esp
91 5b Darkwater Crossing.esp
92 5c Whistling Mine.esp
93 5d Convenient Horses.esp
94 5e RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp
TCIY_BCS Patch.esp
CH Bruma Patch.esp
95 5f FarmhouseChimneysArthmoorVillagesMerged.esp
96 60 ELE_SSE.esp
97 61 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
98 62 Bashed Patch, 0.esp
99 63 DynDOLOD.esp
Why does LOOT even exist? Just to copy a list quickly?
I'm already embarrassed. I'm having a hard time finding good and reliable information on Load Orders and whatnot.
I just wanna quit tbh. I've been reading and watching videos for 16 hrs. and most of the information I've come across was wrong, bad, vague, or outdated.
I don't even know if Load Order is my only problem. I'm probably doing something else wrong too.
Back to trying to read someone that's not complete poop. See ya!

1) wrong forum. I will report the thread and ask to have it moved but for the future post in the correct forum here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?c=411,419

2) to answer your question. Load order is the order in which your mods are loaded... kinda obvious and I assume you know that part. now to explain further load order only matters when two mods conflict in at least one way. (one mod changes a weapons mesh and the other changes its stats, mesh, textures) in these cases, they need to be loaded based on what you want. if you want the stats from one mod but the textures from the first you would need to load the first after the second in the load order. beyond this load, the order doesn't matter. two mods that don't interact directly can be anywhere in the load order in relation to each other without issue.

3) why do people use LOOT? it organizes mods for users. this is useful for people who can't remember if they have mods that conflict with each other or generally don't understand load order. the program also detects when mods conflict which is nice but if you install your mods right shouldn't be a problem.

"""but if you install your mods right shouldn't be a problem.""

>> I agree with the above statement ... I think the OP is asking precisely for help on that area, how to install mods right ... do you have a template / samples that you can post to help him ?

@ Tsaebad .... I've been modding SkyrimSE for more than 2 years and I am not an expert. I have learned a lot of things though at the cost of reinstalling my game several times, dozens of times and trying different load orders, less mods and following several suggestions, working with SSEEdit to create conflict winner patches, etc, etc. ....

I do not know what mod manager you are using. I am using Vortex and one of the nicest thing about it is that when installing mods, you can resolve conflicts between mods by setting up rules. In NMM, you cannot do that unless you use SSEEdit and even though it is a super nice tool, you have to know what to do and it does has a learning curve.

Another important thing that I have learned is that I do not install two mods of a kind unless I really like both and if so, I resolve conflicts between them via rules in the MODS tab in Vortex and decide which one will load last or before.

In my current load order I have only 65 mods and I only have one weapon mod ( Daedric daggers ), one armor mod ( Daedric Reaper with themes and themes load last ), one magic mod ( Phenderix Magic World ), one sound mod ( Immersive Sound Compendium ), etc, etc, etc ... and this way ( and after making a very strong mental decision on not to use more than one after years using a lot ... ) I do not complicate myself dealing with conflicts and ongoing problems.

As you can see, I am only running 65 mods. From 135 mods that I started with more than 2 years ago, I have been eliminating several that I do not really need in correspondence with my play style and the way I want to play my game. When you start modding, you want them all ... I know that ... but quantity is not better than quality. There are just a few mods that are really very good mods in compare to vast majority of them ( more than 10k mods ) and even though mods like : Lanterns of Skyrim, Realistic Water Two, Open Cities, iCamp, etc, etc, etc, are very good mods from excellent authors, they are not in my load order ... what ? Yes, believe it or not, those mods are out of my load order forever.

DISCLAIMER : they are excellent mods and I endorsed them when I used them and I am not saying to anyone not to use them, but I do not need them anymore for several reasons that are more related to my play style and the way I play my game.

I do not camp, I do not fight in the water, Open Cities is a mod that conflicts with a lot of mods, Lanterns is a very nice mod but ... I do not like darker nights, I use one ENB and I have my nights clear so I do not need my roads to be illuminated by any lamps ... as you can see, it is a matter of taste and the way everybody plays his/her game, but in my case, to be honest, I do not need more than I have.

I have tried more than 300 mods in total but they do not call my attention to the point to have them in my load order. You name them : houses, castles, combat mods, immersion, animation, etc, etc.

Also, I do not install mods that via console commands I can have the same effect; for example, I do not see any reason to install More Better Merchants ( with more money for them to buy from you ... ) when I can have millions in my pocket with just a console command; I do not see any reason to have a Carry Weight mod when I can have thousands of tons to carry via console command. Yes, I use the console command a lot and via those cheating codes, I can have a lot of stuff that mods will let me have ... but, the more mods I have in my load order, the more chances to have conflicts and you already know what that means.

Again, modding Skyrim is not piece of cake. The way I mod my game now, is completely different of the way I did before but again, this is personal and it is working for me. My ENB mod is just for color correction and my FPS remains almost at 60 most of the time, so I have performance and I am still modding my game with only those mods that I really need to play my game according to my very own, play style.

Without knowing more about your mod efforts more specific feedback might be difficult (e.g., are you using MO2, NexusMod, Vortex... have you overwritten mods during install, hidden files, or other such). Obviously, shifting mod order will not matter if you have overwritten various key files; whereas, if you have hidden files as per MO2, then you can rework things).

While load order matters, I would being with something that may be obvious and you probably have done; however, on the off chance you have not (because you'd be surprised how many people do not) please read the entire note sections by the MOD AUTHORS for each of your mods in detail as some important information can be hidden in the paragraphs (e.g., Real Roads and Blended Roads do not play well together which is only mentioned on Blended Roads AND Immersive Citizens requires amassing a lot of information - mods it conflicts with in hostile ways, mods it is somewhat compatible, mods it is 'sorta' compatible with, mods that it works well with but requires a specific load order, and mods it works with and load order does not matter - see LOOT and links to Immersive Citizens two paragraphs below here).

​One other mistake, I have on rare occasion made while moving through a long mod list is ending up with an OLDRIM MOD and installing it. I do use several OLDRIM mods for textures, even BIJIN's, but you have to prevent use of .esp (remove, optional, or turn-off plug-in) so it's texture only... but my point is... when I have downloaded the texture and then search down next mod - sometimes - I am still in Skyrim Mods not Skyrim SE. Double check.

LOOT is updated with a lot of inbuilt load order knowledge which you can explore and modify while running it (though get some guidance first...). As a quick example: (A) Open LOOT then go down to Immersive Citizens - then click 'three vertical dots' then choose EDIT MEDTADATA then click LOAD AFTER and you will see preconfigured instructions. Most major mods have these preconfigured though EVEN THEN - you will notice that Immersive Citizens LOOT configuration is far from inclusive of all of the issues with other mods (just read the Detailed Sub-Pages - from Immersive Citizens Mod Page - follow link to DETAILS then go to COMPATIBLITY then follow link to another PAGE that lists all the specific compatibility issues - yes, it is three pages removed from main page, but to be helpful... here you go):

In terms of load order, I agree that I would start with tinkering with load order; however, you may be facing another situation - some of your preferred mods just many not work well together. You might need to start by removing 1-2, beginning with the obvious choices - complex mods and mods known to have a lot of issues, then test game and see. As a quick set of resources, I would suggest the following:

HOW TO LOAD ORDER (2017-Current): Still A Good Place To Start In General...

MASSIVE MOD LISTS: Professional gamers will often share-publish their own comprehensive mod lists. While I understand that you are developing your own mod set, I have found it very helpful to review the mod-installation instructions and plug-in order from pro-gamers who have working mod lists (often extensive mods lists 100-200 mods) and seeing how they have ordered their mods, especially and specifically those that match your own lists, can help (and you also see that no ONE LIST or PLUG-IN ORDER exists). In any case, here are some of the more popular and favorites of mine:

Read Their Plug-In Lists & Compare Their Installation Order and Plug-In Load Orders To Yours

SOLID BASE LIST (SUPER EASY WITH SOME NICE MODS):

​As I said, I know you are trying to make your own list, but observing what others have done and what their working load orders are - goes a long way. In any case, I wish you the best and hope you do not discover that one or two mods must be dropped because they just do not work no matter what the load order.

While Skyrim Mod Sets are fun and seem easy enough (small sets often are), Skyrim (and BethSoft Games in general) Mod Sets can get complicated quick especially with bigger lists and complex mods (e.g. Immersive Citizens because it does so much effects and is affected by lots of mods ranging from AI to NavMesh).

Hope this helps a little and it not too overwhelming. Good Luck!

​PS: Please remember dumping large load orders into a forum will not get you much specific help because it's too complicated. In order to get more specific answers, I suggest narrowing your question down to a mod or a handful of mods. Otherwise, what you are really asking is someone else to load-up your entire mod list, sort it all out, and play with your entire list themselves... which is not likely to happen. But, if you narrowed it down to like a few mods, then much more specific advice can come.

​PPS: I am no expert and all of this is intended as helpful and friendly and is definitely IMHO.

Cheers & Best Wishes...

I do agree with TigerxEyes ... I back him up on using S.E.P.T.I.M. load order ... I use this method and it is working for me ... but things mentioned by TigerxEyes are very important : read mod descriptions, read mod posts ( you will find in this section, important information about what issues other users have found, if the mod CTD or not, etc, etc, - this is a most to do before installing a mod - ) and try the mod if you like it ... unfortunately, trying a mod is something tedious and annoying some times, because if you install a mod and you try it, sometimes even if you delete it from your load order and you go back to your previous save, the mod may leave traces in the data folder and it will screw up with your game eventually.

That is why, when I mentioned to you that I have been using different load orders in more than 2 years and that I have started this game not less than 25 times in that spam, I already know what mods I really like, what mods are not conflicting that bad agains others I use, I know which mods are really to be skipped, so I defined my mods and load order. How many times I used mods that did not work for me, or they were causing CTD and I have to restart my game from fresh ? Several times my friend. It has been a pain in my butt to do that but it was necessary. Having to do that is not bad, on the contrary, I found 30 different load orders and several mods not to deal with, by trying and trying so I know now what to do.

For example, I tried to use Sands of Time and this mod concept is beautiful, but it is a very heavry scripted mod ( more than 6000 scripts ) and no matter what I did, it was crashing my game and once this mod is installed and you do not like it anymore, sorry, you would have to restart a new game from scratch. More Bandit Camps is a mod that is known to cause crashes so even though I loved it, I had to eliminate it from my list. The mods that I mentioned before, are beautiful mods, but they do not cut it for me. Realistic Water Two makes the water looks amazing, yes, but it does also conflict with a lot of cells / textures everywhere and if you do not know how to patch it, then problems may arise during your game.

Animation mods are difficult and I do skip them as much as I can. I also skip mods like adding birds, butterflies, insects, etc, etc, - lol - ... so they won't do anyting for me except the aesthesic added to the game and I do not need that at all so I have a beautiful landscape already using Vivid Weathers, Skyrim Flora Overhaul and Realistic Aspen Trees ... ( these two last mods plays very welll agains each other but Aspen Tree is loaded after Skryim Flora and Flora Overhaul, to avoid dropping FPS, you need to tweak its .ini file located in the data game folder ).

All that information is the mod description. Also, when you read the mod description, some authors will advise you to load their mod on the bottom of the load order. I recently learned ( after two years modding ) that most of the time that is not true. For example, Flower Girls has been advised to be loaded at the very bottom for the mod to work as intended; recently I let Vortex to sort my load order and this mod has been set in the middle of it and it is working properly, so no more headaches looking to move that mod to the bottom of the pile. However, there are other mods like the Wenches which will require Immersive Wenches to be installed first and the rest ( Hateful wenches, etc ) after. In this case yes, you need to follow that instruction. Bruma is another sample and there are some others but not always a mod must be loaded at the bottom to properly work. You need to try and read a lot.

Unfortunately, it is not that easy for somebody to tell you, do this or do that with the load order you showed up here. The best for you to do is to restart a new game ( wipe out everything ), use SEPTIM load order and follow those instructions and see what happen. While you are installing your mods, you must read before installing and try them out to find out if you like them or not and go from there. Do not believe that SEPTIM is magic, is just a guide and ultimately, you are the only one capable to define what mods to use and what type of game you want to play, and based on that, determine what mods you want to use and how many. The more you have, the more chances for conflicts and no matter how many you have and how good your rig is, you will have CTD sometimes, simply because nothing is perfect but with less mods, reliable mods and your dedicated homework, you will find soon, the best load order for you and the more stable game to play with.

Just to let you know something else, recently there is a new mod that I wanted to have in my load order : Immersive College of Winterhold .. this mod requires SkyUI, otherwise it won't run. Well, just read this mod ( Immersive College ) posts and you will see for yourself what other users have found. Simply, I won't go for till it is fixed and when I see that a lot of users are happy with it, then I will probably give it a shot. On the other side, SkyUI is in Alpha state and it is also causing a lot of headaches to a lot of users and I will install this mod ONLY if there is a mod that I really want to have in my load order that requires SkyUI, and only then, I will think about isntalling it.

Good luck and happy gaming !

@OP

Not entirely sure what you are asking. Are you having issues in game? If not nothing to worry about. If you are then what kind of issues? Where? When? Etc

If you are having CTDs some people are having issues with RaceMenu.

You also have a few mods I would label as âintermediateâ such as DynDOLOD, FNIS, XPMSSE, RaceMenu. Provided you have installed these correctly then great but they are not as simple as installing say a texture mod

Edited by QuagaarWarrior

ON SEPTIM:

​In the event you want to use SEPTIM MOD LIST, I highly recommend that you use it in combination with PredCaliber 2017 (here) or on YouTube (here) which provides you with a step-by-step guide for installing everything from top-to-bottom. It is a long video series - make lunch, get snack and juice, and plan to spend some quality time with your computer - lol. I do, however, have some advice about PRECALIBER TUTORIAL VIDS and SEPTIM MOD LIST.

1. VERSION NUMBERS CAN MATTER - When using this guide, I recommend that you pay attention to the version numbers in the video of the mods as that sometimes makes a difference. As phenomenal as SEPTIM MOD LIST is, and it is, the absence of version numbers, is pretty glaring given it makes a difference with several mods. At the time, PredCaliber video shows you installation instructions for older versions of UNP which you can find by downloading older versions and to find the matching FOMOD Installation Instructions. Also, at the time, XP32 Maximum Skeleton Version 4.20 was issue free AND 4.31 was not recommended which I learned elsewhere. Personally, I still use 4.20 as it has never failed me. Again, SEPTIM does a great job though the list fails as several things are version specific and without version numbers it can be confusing even with PredCalliber's Video.
  2. WICO is super-cool, but a pain in the ass to patch. Total Character Makeover is just about as good (and I do recommend it) that is hassle free. While PredCaliber may have gotten his edit to work, PredCaliber did not follow instructors for WICO and made a mistake along the way... so it might not be glitch free. In truth, I have a perfectly edited file set for WICO which I wish I could upload just so people did not have to reinvent the wheel ever damn time and people could enjoy it hassle free... but, oh well, I might make a video guide - one day - maybe, lol.
  3. GOLDEN RULES: SEPTIM MOD LIST with PREDCALIBER video is not easy, but it is not impossible. Golden Rules:
    1. Pay Attention to Version Numbers
    2. Total Character Makeover is just fine [and PredCaliber WICO TUTORIAL has a mistake in it and may glitch]
    3. FNIS is not easy and failure to do it right can ruin your day after installing everything... unless you must have updated animations... I agree with Sopmac45 - avoid doing animations until you have a good deal of mod experience if even then ... they are great but reinstalls suck more than they are worth IMHO,
    4. QuagarrWarrior identifies several other mods in your list as intermediate and I would say some are even advanced - stay away from these as a newbie - until you can get the basics down or unless you are following a step-by-step intermediate guide such as SEPTIM - I suggest leaving them alone until you have more experience,
    5. LOOT is your friend - use Alternative Start as directed to create test game with saves, THEN - RUN LOOT WHEN TOLD and play test game as instructed, catch problems early - easier to reinstall a section than have to start again.
  4. NEVER UPDATE MODS JUST TO UPDATE: Pro-Gamers and people with a ton of mod experience (who can make their own bash patches and merges) and plenty of full game back-ups can afford to monkey around with working lists because they can merge and patch or recopy everything to prior state. Most gamers just want to play. If you have a mod list that works, I recommend NEVER UPDATING and NEVER EVER UPDATING WITHOUT A REASON FOR SURE. While updates add cool stuff and fix things, they can break things and can do so intentionally. One perfect example is Immersive Citizens which is slowly expanding to encompass more areas. Immersive Citizens might seem to work well with some of the town expansions or city expansions NOW, but that may be an illusion... because the current version does not really encompass those regions, but when updated your once working cities may have been encompassed by expansion and may not work - all because you updated when you were otherwise happily playing your game. Essentially, if it works don't mess with it... - do not risk breaking it by just randomly updating your mod list or setting updates to auto-update.

In any case, I wish you the best and hope the advice helps.