238 replies to this topic

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,241 posts
In response to post #72504348.

Spoiler

That said, I am not a fan of the pooled points donation approach at all. I saw no issue with the direct donation via paypal situation, as it felt personal to you, a direct thank-you for your efforts from someone who downloaded your mod and liked it. Why there is now a middle man between you and direct donations and a storefront to negotiate and to spend your tokens in, says more about what modding really means to those who really control it. Is it a hobby to them?

Could you clarify what you mean here, please?

There are still direct donations to authors, the two systems are completely separate. It's not a choice between one or the other - mod authors can choose to have no donations, direct donations but no DP, or direct donations AND DP (on top of whatever other donation platforms they use, such as Patreon, provided it remains without our ToS). The result is that the DP system provides a significant injection of donation money into mod author's pockets than was originally possible simply with direct donations - but direct donations still exist and are still used by users.

As such, there is not a "middle man between you and direct donations". There is a middle man between you and DP, because Nexus Mods is the majority contributor towards the DP pool, but DP and direct donations are two completely separate entities on the site that do not touch each other in any way.

Edited by Dark0ne, 12 August 2019 - 12:42 PM.

NMC

NMC

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,815 posts

In response to post #72504348.

Spoiler

That said, I am not a fan of the pooled points donation approach at all. I saw no issue with the direct donation via paypal situation, as it felt personal to you, a direct thank-you for your efforts from someone who downloaded your mod and liked it. Why there is now a middle man between you and direct donations and a storefront to negotiate and to spend your tokens in, says more about what modding really means to those who really control it. Is it a hobby to them?

Could you clarify what you mean here, please?

There are still direct donations to authors, the two systems are completely separate. It's not a choice between one or the other - mod authors can choose to have no donations, direct donations but no DP, or direct donations AND DP (on top of whatever other donation platforms they use, such as Patreon, provided it remains without our ToS). The result is that the DP system provides a significant injection of donation money into mod author's pockets than was originally possible simply with direct donations - but direct donations still exist and are still used by users.

As such, there is not a "middle man between you and direct donations". There is a middle man between you and DP, because Nexus Mods is the majority contributor towards the DP pool, but DP and direct donations are two completely separate entities on the site that do not touch each other in any way.

Ah, thanks for the clarification of the system, it seems I had completely misunderstood it. I was under the wrong impression that the direct donation system had been removed altogether in place of a pooled donation scheme. Somehow I got that stuck in my head during the early inception of the idea, and I heard a fair bit of speculation at that time from various sources and I decided to remove all donations from my mods back then. I did not see it's final implementation as it stands. I apologise for the wrong statement I made there.

It currently seems a lot better than I realised in that case, allowing tailoring to mod authors preferences. As I now understand it, it seems like an improvement even over the original donation system. I will read over the system in place fully again to see the options available.

For the record, I do recognise that is was Nexus who first created a donations scheme at all for modders to benefit from, so I appreciate the very fact it exists at all as I'm sure all modders here do too.

tekmage

tekmage

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

NMC You really should be opted in. Even if it is to donate the points to charity. 

NMC

NMC

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,815 posts

NMC You really should be opted in. Even if it is to donate the points to charity. 

Thanks Tekmage, I've altered a few settings on my pages today but to be honest I'm not 100% sure exactly what I've opted into yet :huh: - be it direct donations, donation points or memberships donations, or all three! I'll read the system properly later to get a fuller understanding of it all and tweak my settings accordingly then when I have more time. There may even be an option to pass a points on to other users- there's a few people who have helped out on my mod pages so it would be good to say thanks.

Maidenfan724

Maidenfan724

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
The opt-in page is reporting less unique downloads than are listed on my mod page. Is this an issue?

Maidenfan724

Maidenfan724

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
In response to post #78162568.

Spoiler

It would also appear that this is the metric the site used to determine that I am officially a mod author, as I only received official mod author status after reaching 1,000 unique downloads on that page, despite having been at over 1,000 unique downloads for a while according to the number on the mod page.

steve40

steve40

Where is Clara Torres?

• Premium Member
  • 7,344 posts
In response to post #78162568. #78239643 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

It's your monthly unique download tally only, not your total tally.

Maidenfan724

Maidenfan724

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
In response to post #78162568. #78239643, #78253613 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

I am aware that it is unique downloads only. It has been less than half a month since I released the mod though.
Edit: I submitted a bug report and apparently it is a known issue, and a fix is in the pipeline. The amount used to determine donation points is still accurate according to staff. It just isn't displayed correctly on the opt-in page. The number displayed on the opt-in page doesn't account for downloads made via mod managers.

Edited by Maidenfan724, 15 March 2020 - 03:08 AM.

Smadol99

Smadol99

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
hi, I have almost 30k dp pending and 0 in my wallet I don't know how to trasfer them, can anyone help me?

Page loaded in: 1.240 seconds