Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

In response to post #60325556.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

In response to post #60324731. #60325251 is also a reply to the same post.

DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Hello. Newly-minted mod author here on the Nexus. My 'mods' are barely a drop in the ocean compared to the amazing (programming/coding) work that others have done on far more complex titles.
That said, I don't want to completely dismiss my contributions to the public internet community. I've done work and put real effort into the mods I've made for The Zodiac Age as well as several other game titles (mostly retro ones). I keep an updated list of them on my Discord server (FreshGaming).

I'm deeply disturbed and angry at some of the options presented here that were done WITHOUT asking the very modders you proclaim to be helping. WHY!? How difficult is it to do a survey via Google Forms and ask mod authors to complete it? Or maybe just a survey here on the site? Is that too much work?

REAL MODDERS HAVE ALWAYS DONE OUR WORK FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAMES AND NOT FOR PERSONAL PROFIT/BENEFITS. This is true of every single noteworthy modder in every single game that I've seen modded. Period. Nexus has no damn idea what modding is about (which surprises me) considering the absolute PR nightmare that Bethesda and Valve went through a short while ago when it came to the 'Creators Club'. That thing that nobody cares about, everyone laughs at, and which has probably generated next to nothing for the modders participating since the mod are already freely-available and the Creator Club is just reskins and stuff.

It is an INSULT to real modders to think we do this for money. No, we don't. We sure as hell don't. Those that do are not representative of the true spirit of modding. From the days of Doom 1 WAD files all the way to DSFix for Dark Souls and fairly recently with the Final Fantasy Zodiac Age modding going on (as well as countless others on a near-daily basis for Bethesda and non-Bethesda games).

There is ONE good thing I see from this entire system. Someone was smart enough to include options to spend on premium membership and donations to charity.
So I propose an alteranative: Those who have X amount of threshold in activity on their mods (comments, downloads, etc) uniquely from users will receive a free premium membership for X amount of time as long as they remain actively doing mods for the community. Just a thought, since CurseForge already does something similar.

Or just drop all the fluff and have 100% of the 'DP' earned go to charity without mod authors needing to do anything. Automatic opt-in and I don't believe there's a single modder that would object to their modding activity being Nexus-monetized to give 100% of the money raised to charity.

TLDR: Remove the Paypal/Premium options, keep the charity options, and have an automatic opt-in for all mod authors to help charity. Easy. Done. Great PR for Nexus as well.
Reneer wrote: There was ample discussion of the need / design implementation of the donation points system done back in August of 2017 in the Mod Author Nexus Feedback and Talk forum (link). I don't know if you were able to access that forum at the time, but many mod authors who participated in the discussion were in favor of the system (some were / are against, of course).

More importantly: You don't get to dictate who is a "real modder". You don't get to tell others what the "true spirit" of modding is about. People mod for many reasons and those reasons are their own. Whether or not their reasons align with your "real modder" concept is irrelevant. If you are that upset at this "insult" you can simply not participate in the donation points system. Or take your mods to another hosting site.

As Reneer said, a consultation did take place with all mod authors who wanted to participate in the mod author forums. I've also had plenty of discussions with mod authors via Discord servers and Skype as well as sat back and read the myriad threads and posts made by mod authors on this very subject over the past several years. To think this was done with little or no thought is silly.

can you add a feature though that would allow us to donate money/DP to the staff? that'd be kinda cool.

also Nexus Bucks > Donation Points

We don't want any of the office (paid) staff to touch the DP system because I think that would be frowned upon. We'd rather you donated to charity in that instance :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Hello. Newly-minted mod author here on the Nexus. My 'mods' are barely a drop in the ocean compared to the amazing (programming/coding) work that others have done on far more complex titles.

That said, I don't want to completely dismiss my contributions to the public internet community. I've done work and put real effort into the mods I've made for The Zodiac Age as well as several other game titles (mostly retro ones). I keep an updated list of them on my Discord server (FreshGaming).

I'm deeply disturbed and angry at some of the options presented here that were done WITHOUT asking the very modders you proclaim to be helping. WHY!? How difficult is it to do a survey via Google Forms and ask mod authors to complete it? Or maybe just a survey here on the site? Is that too much work?

REAL MODDERS HAVE ALWAYS DONE OUR WORK FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAMES AND NOT FOR PERSONAL PROFIT/BENEFITS. This is true of every single noteworthy modder in every single game that I've seen modded. Period. Nexus has no damn idea what modding is about (which surprises me) considering the absolute PR nightmare that Bethesda and Valve went through a short while ago when it came to the 'Creators Club'. That thing that nobody cares about, everyone laughs at, and which has probably generated next to nothing for the modders participating since the mod are already freely-available and the Creator Club is just reskins and stuff.

It is an INSULT to real modders to think we do this for money. No, we don't. We sure as hell don't. Those that do are not representative of the true spirit of modding. From the days of Doom 1 WAD files all the way to DSFix for Dark Souls and fairly recently with the Final Fantasy Zodiac Age modding going on (as well as countless others on a near-daily basis for Bethesda and non-Bethesda games).

There is ONE good thing I see from this entire system. Someone was smart enough to include options to spend on premium membership and donations to charity.

So I propose an alteranative: Those who have X amount of threshold in activity on their mods (comments, downloads, etc) uniquely from users will receive a free premium membership for X amount of time as long as they remain actively doing mods for the community. Just a thought, since CurseForge already does something similar.

Or just drop all the fluff and have 100% of the 'DP' earned go to charity without mod authors needing to do anything. Automatic opt-in and I don't believe there's a single modder that would object to their modding activity being Nexus-monetized to give 100% of the money raised to charity.

TLDR: Remove the Paypal/Premium options, keep the charity options, and have an automatic opt-in for all mod authors to help charity. Easy. Done. Great PR for Nexus as well.

Reneer wrote: There was ample discussion of the need / design implementation of the donation points system done back in August of 2017 in the Mod Author Nexus Feedback and Talk forum (link). I don't know if you were able to access that forum at the time, but many mod authors who participated in the discussion were in favor of the system (some were / are against, of course).

More importantly: You don't get to dictate who is a "real modder". You don't get to tell others what the "true spirit" of modding is about. People mod for many reasons and those reasons are their own. Whether or not their reasons align with your "real modder" concept is irrelevant. If you are that upset at this "insult" you can simply not participate in the donation points system. Or take your mods to another hosting site.

As Reneer said, a consultation did take place with all mod authors who wanted to participate in the mod author forums. I've also had plenty of discussions with mod authors via Discord servers and Skype as well as sat back and read the myriad threads and posts made by mod authors on this very subject over the past several years. To think this was done with little or no thought is silly.

can you add a feature though that would allow us to donate money/DP to the staff? that'd be kinda cool.

Surely you can simply type their username into the DP option like any other user...

Capture.png

EDIT: disregard my answer, Robin posted his own reply.

Edited by steve40

In response to post #60325556.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

We don't want any of the office (paid) staff to touch the DP system because I think that would be frowned upon. We'd rather you donated to charity in that instance :smile:

I got two kids in college Robin! I AM charity!

Ha ha ha I'm just joking.

Question for Dark0ne: if we choose to share DPs with someone else, will they be able to see in their wallet who shared them? Edited by steve40

In response to post #60325966.

steve40 wrote: Question for Dark0ne: if we choose to share DPs with someone else, will they be able to see in their wallet who shared them?

Yes, on the page where you share DP, you can click the link above your mods that will show you any DP that's being shared with you.

In response to post #60322336.

3aq wrote:

This is just my 2c on this topic but..

I feel there is something missing in this new DP system.. That being mods which are purely ports. Shouldn't there be some sort of royalty % attached which will be transferred to the original mod authors? I know it may just be me speaking, but it seems wrong that the original modders aren't being presented cut for these influx of ported mods (some of them which haven't even been altered from the original).

For good or bad, I have a feeling this system is opening a deluxe sized can 'o worms.

In the case of Skyrim to Skyrim SE ports, it would be sensible for the original author to setup the new mod page and allow the "porter" access to it. That way they hold the cards in terms of DP if they so wish to.

Is there any possibility of adding a stat so that I can see how many unique downloads a mod has had this month, and how many total unique downloads all the mods in the donation system have had this month? Just so we can have a way of estimating what sort of numbers we can expect? :)

In response to post #60322336. #60326136 is also a reply to the same post.

3aq wrote:

This is just my 2c on this topic but..

I feel there is something missing in this new DP system.. That being mods which are purely ports. Shouldn't there be some sort of royalty % attached which will be transferred to the original mod authors? I know it may just be me speaking, but it seems wrong that the original modders aren't being presented cut for these influx of ported mods (some of them which haven't even been altered from the original).

For good or bad, I have a feeling this system is opening a deluxe sized can 'o worms.

Pickysaurus wrote: In the case of Skyrim to Skyrim SE ports, it would be sensible for the original author to setup the new mod page and allow the "porter" access to it. That way they hold the cards in terms of DP if they so wish to.

It would be a case of the original mod author including a nominated percentage of DP in exchange for permission to port.

I could release a mod, and in my permissions state that:
"Permissions to port this mod, however All/90%/75%/10%/Whatever DP must be issued to myself.

The only thing I am not sure about is whether or not users can SEE that the original mod author is receiving the relevant DP.

If I give permission to port on the condition that I get 50% of DP, then I would have no way of actually checking that if the percentages werent public.

In response to post #60325966. #60326041 is also a reply to the same post.

steve40 wrote: Question for Dark0ne: if we choose to share DPs with someone else, will they be able to see in their wallet who shared them?
Pickysaurus wrote: Yes, on the page where you share DP, you can click the link above your mods that will show you any DP that's being shared with you.

Will you see the actual listed percentage you are getting? or just a total amount?
As mentioned in another comment, if I agree for someont to port a mod with the condition that I get 50% of DP, I would want to be able to confirm that I am not getting ripped off from someone only sharing 30%. If that makes sense.