Stuttering at high frame rates - Nvidia Vsync not working

hielkeskyrim

I am experiencing some minor stutters in my game.

1. I have disabled all Vsync through BethINI and enabled Nvidia Vsync in the control panel but that function does not seem to work at all. Framerates in game are uncapped 150+. Any ideas of why this is not working? I believe it has worked in the past. Maybe because I'm starting my game via SKSE64?

2. Setting control panel back to default and using Vsync through BethINI results in stutters also. What to do???

I only have the basic mods running:

USSEP

SSE Fixes

SSE Uncapper

SKSE64

SMIM

SkyUI

FNIS

I have a 980ti with G-Sync and a G-Sync monitor. I use the NVidia Profile utility (Google the item) to cap my framerate at 60, which I find is satisfactory for Skyrim SE. You can go down to 40 without noticing much.

The NVidia Profile Utility offers a few more options over the NVidia Control Panel, the FPS cap being one. The other is that you can save the profiles, useful for Nvidia updates.

The rest of the time I use the Nvidia Control Panel to force VSync ON, and leave it off in the Skyrim and ENB inis. Switch on Threaded Optimisation.

Make sure that you enable G-Sync, and also set the GPUs to maximum performance, and the CUDA GPUs all on. Also make sure you are set to single display mode - Nvidia CP defaults to multiple displays (unless you actually use 3 or 4 screens together!).

Power management should be on maximum performance. I keep mine all at a 60MHz refresh rate, which kind of matches my 60fps limit.

Lastly, make sure Skyrim is not on C: program files and you have not loaded it with 4k textures and a million scripted mods!!

Good luck.

My hardware is fully aware to run at capped 60fps, the issues that I am having has purely to do with the way the game syncs the framerates.

I do not have a G-Sync monitor but that has never stopped me from using Nvidia's v-sync option to cap frame rates in other games. I do not know why forced v-sync through the control panel does not work.

I will take a look at your recommended settings. I do have my game installed in the proper locations and I do use a lot of texture mods (2k for outdoor textures, 2-4k for indoor textures), my graphics card should be able to handle that.

In addition to the other posters: Try "Fast Vsync" instead of "forced VSync". For me, it reduced especially those annoying microstutters when turning around a lot. Still not perfect, but absolutely enjoyable.

I'd also second using the Profile Utility mentioned by Bluegunk. Formerly, it was part of "nvidia inspector". It was turned into a standalone application, but it is still bundled with "nvidia inspector". Might be easier to google that.

On a side note: If you use an ENB, you can also try to disable VSync in the nvidia options completely and turn it on in your enblocal.ini. For me, results are almost equal to nvidia's "fast VSync". OFC, this may vary....

Thank you for the information!

I will try the utility right now.

I do not use ENB or ENBoost, I use a light reshade mod. Although nothing to do with my problems, will it still be beneficial for my game to install ENBoost? Or was that just the case for old Skyrim?

I do not use ENB or ENBoost, I use a light reshade mod. Although nothing to do with my problems, will it still be beneficial for my game to install ENBoost? Or was that just the case for old Skyrim?

Depends. IMHO, ENBoost by far isn't as crucial for SE as it was for "Oldrim". AFAIK there isn't even a dedicated ENBoost mod page for SE - which already says something. OFC you could use the settings from the Fallout 4 ENBoost if you wish. If your game runs stable without ENBoost, I'd say there's no need to use it.

I capped my FPS with the "nvidia Profile Utility", so I don't need ENB for that. I rarely use pure Reshade - TBH, I'm rather the ENB type... But for the few Reshade only presets I use from time to time, I don't have ENBoost installed. I feel like I simply don't need it.

Do you perhaps have a link to the utility? I am not sure which one to download.

I respect you being the ENB type. An ENB looks amazing but I think my game will not run stable with an ENB. My game runs at 1440p with literally everything 2k, some textures 4 and +- 200 mods. Because of this, I use Sweet HD from the link down below. That reshade + ELFX + Vivid weathers almost looks like I have an ENB enabled.

I would definitely recommend this reshade it if you are struggling with performance or just want to install more mods :smile:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1400

EDIT:

I have literally not even noticed 1 fps drop with this reshade, which is amazing.

In fact, that's one of the Reshade presets I've stored in my ENB/Reshade manager. ^^ But thanks for the hint!

As for the "nvidia profile inspector": It is available from different computer pages. AFAIK, current version is 2.1.3, but I think ver. 2.1.2 will also do. Google "nvidia profile inspector". Then choose the site you trust the most. Personally, I don't like those typical computer this and computer that sites too much, so I cant' really recommend a particular one...

In fact, that's one of the Reshade presets I've stored in my ENB/Reshade manager. ^^ But thanks for the hint!

I didn't even know that was possible!

Personally, I don't like those typical computer this and computer that sites too much, so I cant' really recommend a particular one...

I feel the same exact way!