MO2 - What should ELFX's priority be?

hielkeskyrim

ELFX is one of those amazing mods that can come with a lot of issues. One of them being light flickering.

For my newly modded game, I would like to avoid this at all cost. I'm one of those guys that has no rest until an issue (like light flickering) is solved.

My instinct tells me ELFX should be loaded after my texture mods (ELFX conflicts with a lot of mods). LOOT places my ELFX right in the beginning after SkyUI and FNIS.

What would you guys recommend me? Does ELFX's priority in the left panel (asset management) matter? Or is only the Plugin order relevant?

The flickering is partly due to an engine limitation. The engine refuses to render more than 4 shadow casting light sources (not light sources in general) at the same time. If there are more, some will be "turned off" - and the game's decisions regarding which ones to "turn off" are rather... interesting... If ELFX (and maybe some other mod) manage to put more than those 4 shadow casting light sources in one place, you will have flicker.... So probably you will have to live with some flickering here and there..

You can try this mod: It removes flicker at least at a few locations:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5520

As for the load order: It's a matter of trial and error. Overwriting stuff from SMIM or texture replacers shouldn't be too big a thing. More important is the load order between weather mods and lighting mods. Here you have to find out for yourself. Weather mod authors mostly say "Weather mod after ELFX". TBH, I changed it the other way round: ELFX after Vivid weathers. But as I said - try it out for yourself and your specific mod setup.

Thank you for your very detailed explanation! I am also going to use ELFX with Vivid Weather and will try both orders.

I remember back in the days of original Skyrim, there used to be a mod that made it so that fewer guards had a torch equipped to reduce light flickering. Do you know of a similar mod for SE?

@Algabar

How do you put Vivid Weathers before ELFX? I wish there was a 'load before' option in LOOT's metadata options. Or do you edit ELFX's metadata to load after Vivid Weather?

I set ELFX - and ELFX Enhancer - to load after "Vivid Weathers". TBH, i only care about the main file of "Vivid Weathers", not "Extended Rain" and "Extended Snow". I'd like ELFX to have full control over interiors, and those two files don't seem to affect interior lighting in any way.

As for the "load before" option: Saying "A should load before B" is logically equivalent to "B should load after A". One possibly confusing option less... ^^